User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Insurance (Swiftcover) After Write-off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Insurance (Swiftcover) After Write-off?

I have never had a write-off before, so unsure how things work, but I am dubious about information given to me by swiftcover customer services.

I am one month into my policy with them and whilst not yet confirmed by them, my car will be written off following a non-fault accident (currently not confirmed as non-fault as claim is ongoing).

When I get paid out, I want to insure my new car still with swiftcover. I asked them what I do regarding what to put down for no claims if I insure before the claim is resolved.

What they advised, is that I just change the car on the policy, and the no claims is not effected until the policy expires.

What I thought when you had a write-off, is that you have the remaining balance of the insurance for the year deducted and then the insurance stopped - after all, with the car written-off, there is nothing left to insure surely?

Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would agree with swift cover mate, although like yourself i have never had a total write-off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Wasnt a write off but when we had a none fault it went on for months due to the other party not responding. During this time the policy was up and despite the AA knowing that the OP wasnt responding and it was looking very likely especially with all the evidence that it would go in our favour it had to go down as a fault claim which doubled the policy. We went with M&S (which were toss btw) and the quote even with a fault claim was cheaper. Once it was resolved they then amended the policy and redcued the payments. hth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,

I had a similar experience earlier this year - althought I still don't the outcome of the fault decision (multi-car bump - wife drivingI wasn't there.)

I thought as you did but this would apply if you chose not to get another car - the policy is cancelled but you have to pay the remaining premium (if in monthly instalments) or forfeit a refund of the remaining policy.

I got my knickers in a right old twist and while looking at insurance for my veccy (the replacement) I was trying to work out whatmy no-claims would be. I went around the houses with the broker, underwriter and claims handler but it took about 4 phone calls for them to suddenly say: "can I ask why you aren't using your exisiting policy?" DOH!

Cost my £30 extra to inure the veccy instead of £600!

So I would keep with swiftcover and wait for your renewal to geta decision on yourno claims bonus.

One other tip: NEGOTIATE the settlement on the write off - do not accept their first offer. Geton Autotrader, find the exact model and year, and closests mileage. Ifyou have lots of extra equipment, try and factor that in or find a near match. Then print these out and either write a response saying you don't agree or get on the phone. I called my underwriter and negotiated up for my last car by over £1000 because they undervalued it.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I am ok to use the current policy then, which is awesome - a weight off my mind.

I only had the car three weeks, so have the recipt, so I dont think I would have a problem getting its value. I got a good deal on it too - Veccy Estate '05 3l V6 CDTi SRi 44k Miles - Paid £5995. Parkers values at £6750, but I think I will only get the price I paid for it, unless they don't ask me of course. There is no way they could possibly get out of paying less than £5995 though. So far they have been brilliant though, really helpful in trying to get things sorted so I don't imgaine I will have much of a problem - that's why I want to cover the replacement car with them too. Plus thier office is not far from me, so I am helping the local economy

Thread Information