Thread: Removing the Turbo Shield....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Removing the Turbo Shield....?

Evening, anyone know how to remove the curved aluminium shield that covers the turbo on the 2.0 T engine? I've undone the two E10 bolts, but it's still attached at the back somewhere, and doesn't seem to want to dislodge?

On a related note, does anyone know where exactly this is located in the engine bay: "valve, solenoid, turbocharger wastegate actuator vacuum control"? (It's all 1 item). It looks like this:

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With the turbo nice and cool - or at least wearing a big thick glove like a workmans glove - simply put your hand down the back of the the heatshield i.e. the bit nearest the screen. You'll then feel the bottom edge of it. Simply pull hard upwards as it's a sprung clip thing that holds it on. Once it comes off you'll see what I mean.

Re the pic - it doesn't look like that, that's EPC having a laugh. Look on your turbo and you'll see the wastegate actuator - disc type thing on top with the rod on the side. Plugged into it you'll see the vacuum hose. Follow that to the plastic solenoid with another two hoses coming out of it - that's it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    With the turbo nice and cool - or at least wearing a big thick glove like a workmans glove - simply put your hand down the back of the the heatshield i.e. the bit nearest the screen. You'll then feel the bottom edge of it. Simply pull hard upwards as it's a sprung clip thing that holds it on. Once it comes off you'll see what I mean.

Re the pic - it doesn't look like that, that's EPC having a laugh. Look on your turbo and you'll see the wastegate actuator - disc type thing on top with the rod on the side. Plugged into it you'll see the vacuum hose. Follow that to the plastic solenoid with another two hoses coming out of it - that's it.
    Thanks Duncan...did try and pull the shield off, but it was still pretty warm, so I was a bit reluctant to really grasp it; will give it a try as you suggest, in the morning. As for the solenoid, what you've suggested is exactly what some Saab chappies have suggested on their forum, which makes me think you're right...but EPC lists the bit you've described, as "charged air bypass valve", which has thrown me a bit....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Decided to order the wastegate valve yesterday in the hope that EPC did indeed have the pictures wrongly labelled. Local Vauxhall dealer wanted £25 and couldn't get it for 2 days, so phoned Saab dealer 8 miles away and they said they could get it in a day for £13

Fitted it today and sorted - no more boost problems.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Excellent - sorry I didn't reply to your last post but I only saw it now.

As per my earlier post, you'll now have seen that the part image on EPC bears no resemblance to what it actually looks like - no wonder it confuses people! lol

Glad you're sorted now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Excellent - sorry I didn't reply to your last post but I only saw it now.

As per my earlier post, you'll now have seen that the part image on EPC bears no resemblance to what it actually looks like - no wonder it confuses people! lol

Glad you're sorted now.
    Cheers Duncan. I think they have the numbers/labels the wrong way round on EPC...well at least now I know EPC isn't infallible!

Thread Information