User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Choosing my next car

  1. #1
    Regular Member VectraV6CDTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wilts
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Choosing my next car

    Was thinking of changing my car to another Vec in the next few months and in need of a bit of help to choose which engine. The GSI V6 sounds great for performance but I dont think I could afford to run it day to day. So I thought the 2.0T would be the one. Should be quicker than my 2.2 Direct but not so thirsty as the V6 3.2. The only trouble is, they seem to be as rare as rocking horse sh** (SRi of course) so will have a job getting hold of one, let alone getting a decent one.
    Then, been reading Spoons thread on the VXR he tested.................and it got me thinking.........
    Diesel......!!!!
    Never been too keen on diesels in the past as they seem to run out of revs too quick and sound too dam ratly!!!!! BUT!! The performance that you guys say these motors have does seem very intriguing. What I would idealy like is "shove in the back" performance. Do the diesel units really give you this? I do agree that petrol engine do, on the whole, give a steady linear pull of power, which of course lasts longer than the diesel (to the red line) - but dont seem to "fun" to drive. So are diesels more "fun" to drive?
    If so which diesel? Would it best to get a 3.0 CDTI or is a 1.9 150 CDTI (wth tuning box ideally) adequate?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Gsi3.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Technical directors office
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    I get both worlds.. I've got the 3.2 and my dad has a 150 CDti sri..

    the diesel has got a shove it the back if you wind it up.. but it runs out of legs and you need to grab another gear.. economy beats mine into the weeds, but mine is a much more comfortable cruiser.. with much more grin factor and longer accelerating legs if you need to overtake several vehicles.. You won't notice too much diesel rattle if you're in the car but it's not as smooth as the 3.2.. the gsi will be better spec'd as well than the equivilant sri.. we get part leather as standard.. and the ultimate accessory..A MILE wide smile..

    for the lowdown on the 2.0turbo.... do i hear Duncan approaching??

  3. #3
    Regular Member Steven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dalriada
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    yes the diesels are fun to drive but they take a bit of getting used to the way the power arrives

    As for which variant, tis up to you mate i have the cdti 150 and its great in standard form so really depends on what you want from it... with a box on they transform into a very potent machine indeed

  4. #4
    Regular Member VectraV6CDTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wilts
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2
    I get both worlds.. I've got the 3.2 and my dad has a 150 CDti sri..

    the diesel has got a shove it the back if you wind it up.. but it runs out of legs and you need to grab another gear.. economy beats mine into the weeds, but mine is a much more comfortable cruiser.. with much more grin factor and longer accelerating legs if you need to overtake several vehicles.. You won't notice too much diesel rattle if you're in the car but it's not as smooth as the 3.2.. the gsi will be better spec'd as well than the equivilant sri.. we get part leather as standard.. and the ultimate accessory..A MILE wide smile..

    for the lowdown on the 2.0turbo.... do i hear Duncan approaching??
    Yes the 3.2 V6 really does appeal to me and I had one on a Vx 3 day test a while ago (an Elite model) and thought the engine was fantastic. But got through £25 in fuel in 2 days so put me off a bit. Just enjoyed while I had it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member VectraV6CDTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wilts
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gil16e
    yes the diesels are fun to drive but they take a bit of getting used to the way the power arrives

    As for which variant, tis up to you mate i have the cdti 150 and its great in standard form so really depends on what you want from it... with a box on they transform into a very potent machine indeed
    Think I'd have to put a box on a 150 as in standard form wouldnt feel much different to what I have now.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ALD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Lanarkshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Hi m8, I have had 2 vectra c's, the 1.8 petrol and now a 1.9 CDTi 150

    this difference is amazing, but the best bit is the saving on fuel, I recently had a trip up to the north of Scotland and my trip computer went over 50mpg, never seen that before!

    so I recommend the 1.9 CDTi, but of course if its in your price range there's the 3.0 CDTi V6

  7. #7
    Regular Member VectraV6CDTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wilts
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALD
    Hi m8, I have had 2 vectra c's, the 1.8 petrol and now a 1.9 CDTi 150

    this difference is amazing, but the best bit is the saving on fuel, I recently had a trip up to the north of Scotland and my trip computer went over 50mpg, never seen that before!

    so I recommend the 1.9 CDTi, but of course if its in your price range there's the 3.0 CDTi V6
    Yeah 3.0 CDTi V6 does sound a good choice. Is there any disadvantages of this engine? Obviously the fuel consumption wouldnt be as good as the 1.9, but way better than a petrol equivalent. They do look a bit on the heavy side though. 1570kg which makes it the heaviest of all Vectra hatchbacks so may affect the handling.

  8. #8
    Regular Member ALD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Lanarkshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Can't really comment on the 3.0 V6, but the best option might be the 1.9 CDTi and then stick a tuning box in if you feel you want a bit more

    you can get around 190bhp with one of these

  9. #9
    Regular Member Steven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dalriada
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    or go with the performance centre Remap???

  10. #10
    Regular Member Robbieben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Polishing a car somewhere
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    3.0 V6 CDTi beautiful sound, plenty of power in standard form, woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee factor with a tuning box fitted and fairly decent economy as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need help choosing an amp
    By Smudger34 in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30th June 2012, 00:33
  2. Need Help choosing exhaust....
    By benholden2010 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 17th December 2011, 20:44
  3. Please help on choosing tyres
    By favill1982 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 4th September 2007, 00:31
  4. Choosing a new Boiler
    By Brocks in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28th March 2007, 23:15
  5. Choosing a wife
    By Spikey© in forum Comedy & Humour
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th February 2007, 13:41

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •