Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Switching tyres front to rear as they wear

My front tyres will need changing soon but I was thinking of swapping fronts and rears and then changing all four at a later date. I remember all the cars I have owned in the past the manual has always stated to do this. Whenever you get new tyres fitted though they will always put the new ones on the rear so the maximum tread is over the rear axle for cornering. What then is safe tread depth to put on the rear? At what point , in mm, does the handling become a bit scary?? Does anyone swap front to rear or is this idea old hat now?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

new to the rear is what I have been told also.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

tbh, ive never really done it - Ive thought many times about it but just havent lol !!!

I can see your reason though, as fronts will always wear quicker. So I suppose if you play your cards right, you can replace all 4 at the same time ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I personally put the new ones on the front since they do most of the work.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am looking at changing my current Falken 912s (due to the rock hard nature of the ride) to Kumho Ecstas and that's why I thought about swapping over and then changing all 4. Just don't want to make handling dangerous by having no grip over rear axle!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

I have read that switching tyres round these days is an outdated practice. Time was that tyres would be switched front to rear or even diagonally front to rear.

I recently replaced all four, having stuck to the original Goodyear NCT5's which I had been happy with, I was getting around 22k per pair on the fronts which I thought was pretty good. I never switched the tyres front to rear and when I replaced them the rears had done 66k.

Because of the price of the Goodyears though I decided to change to a 'budget' brand. I finally decided on Marshall Matrac (made by Khumo) and changed to size to 225/45/17 at the same time and got a nice sexy assymetric tread as well. I was immediately impressed with the improved grip, although this would be more noticeable because they were new anyway and thought they would wear out more quickly but having checked the wear at 3500 miles of use I had got through 1mm of tread with no measurable wear on the rears, which should give me somewhere near the 22k I was getting with the Goodyears at almost half the price and with better grip!

I have to say, I'm impressed so far and would recommend them, picture was taken after 4500 miles.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    I have read that switching tyres round these days is an outdated practice. Time was that tyres would be switched front to rear or even diagonally front to rear.

I recently replaced all four, having stuck to the original Goodyear NCT5's which I had been happy with, I was getting around 22k per pair on the fronts which I thought was pretty good. I never switched the tyres front to rear and when I replaced them the rears had done 66k.

Because of the price of the Goodyears though I decided to change to a 'budget' brand. I finally decided on Marshall Matrac (made by Khumo) and changed to size to 225/45/17 at the same time and got a nice sexy assymetric tread as well. I was immediately impressed with the improved grip, although this would be more noticeable because they were new anyway and thought they would wear out more quickly but having checked the wear at 3500 miles of use I had got through 1mm of tread with no measurable wear on the rears, which should give me somewhere near the 22k I was getting with the Goodyears at almost half the price and with better grip!

I have to say, I'm impressed so far and would recommend them, picture was taken after 4500 miles.
    I still switch the tyres around, its utter balls that it "doesnt make a differnce". Tyre manufacturers and garages will tell you this as they want you to purcahse new tyres!

On my old SXI, i swapped the fronts which were at about 3mm, to the rear, and they safely lasted for a full year until i needed to change them. Had i have left them on the front, they would have alsted half the time.

You pay your money, so you may as well get the most out of it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0cdti 160bhp

Year : 2010

Mileage : 92274

you should always have the best tyres at the rear of the car,the reason is if you were to suffer a blow out (and newer tyres are less prone to a blow out) you are better off having it occur at the front as you will still have control of the car,if a rear blows out you risk the car spinning out of control,and if it happens you become a spectator and you start to hope you dont hit something,i saw it happen to a police car on tv while doing 80mph on the motorway,it is scary if it happens

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I switched mine original NCT5's after about 10,000miles, and got all 4 tyres replaced after about 27,000 miles and found no prob atall. That's what Iam going 2 do with my new tyres soon.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've changed front to rear with the intention of eventually replacing all four. If its done when half worn and not when they are nearing wear limit I don't see a problem. They used to advise changing diagonally but is now not recommended. Changing diagonally means rotation of the tyre is reversed and the stress built up in the tyre in that direction could cause it to disintergrate if rotated in the opposite direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information