Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default hello, Im thinking about an Estate.......Feedback

Hi Guys
    stumbled across your site in my endless search to find the right motor.

The wife has an Audi A4, company car, and she is taking the cash option when its up in august.

We were looking at MPVs, namely the Zafira, but the new shape Design spec is just out of our range, so in searching for alternatives I read some very good things about the Vectra Estate.

We dont need 7 seats, theres only 4 of us, but we need plenty of space as we are planning on camping load this summer as the kids are old enough now.

I was looking at getting a 1.9 diesel, 150ps, needs to be minimum a Design, but an Elite or SRi would be cool

Ive been dealing with a guy at Arnold Clarke in Nantwich, young salesguy, Ben. Hes been helpful when we where thinking of the Zafira, so if he can sort me out a Vectra for my budget then he can have my business.

Im trying to organise a testdrive asap and nail down a good price for what we want, Im seeing them on the net for 11,500ish but we have a budget of 10,000.

How far do you think I could negoiate down?

Any advice, feelings or experience on the estate model is appreciated.

Cheers guys, and not forgetting my first car was a Vauxhall 'B' Reg Astra

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know there's a few people that will have a few comments (not complimentary) on Arnold Clark (in general).

The 1.9 is probably a good choice of engine for what you're planning (bit of distance, loaded up etc.) good balance of economy and performance.

As for how much you could negotiate down, not sure as I don't know if the Estates hold their value any more. There are a few guys on here with estates...CDTi, Green Growler, Ed Taylor who can maybe advise. GG has just bought a new(er) estate recently so he may be able to offer some input.

If you find that you can't get a 1.9 in that spec in your budget, you may want to have a look at the 2.0 or 2.2 DTi. GG bought the 2.2 and whilst not as perky as the 1.9, he seems to be more than happy with it.

Oh, welcome to the site BTW.

HTH

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Welcome to the site mate

There's a few guys on here with estates, CDTi and Ed taylor for starters i'm sure they'll be along soon with some advice and i'm sure neither would mind if you PM'd them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Hi there and welcome. I have an estate and am very pleased with it, there is loads of legroom in the back and when you flod the seats down the inside is huge, there is masses of space in the back even with the rear seats in place. Have a look at one I think you will be impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi and Welcome Netboy..

The Vectra estate is a far better distance cruiser than the zafira IMO.. I would also echo Duncan's thoughts on the dealer..several of our members are having REAL trouble.. contact Mrs D or Drinky for advice on that particular retailer..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Welcome to the site

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, I have just got myself an estate, and I'm well and truly pleased with it.
    The space you have in it is absolutely huge, and believe it or not, it's the silly little bits like little compartments and storage areas in the boot that make an even bigger difference, the amount of bits (that you may have) that you normally have cluttering up the boot that can be hidden/stored away is amazing !!!

As for engine choice, well I had a 2.2 petrol hatch previously, I looked at the 3.0 as it was in budget if you could find a slightly older one with a few miles on it, but in the end decided the urban MPG was not a significant enough improvement over my petrol to justify it.
    My choice was a little more restricted because what ever I got it HAD to be an automatic, I don't want to go back to a manual now. Oh and my budget was around 10K as well.
    To be honest, I really don't think you will find a 1.9 SRi/Elite for 10K !!!

I would have loved a 1.9, preferably a SRi, but it just was not going to happen, not on that budget.
    To be honest, even finding a SRi estate is not that easy.
    I settled on a 2.2DTi, yes it's the older engine, no it's not as pokey as a 1.9, so I am led to believe, but I have not driven a 1.9 to compare it to. Don't let that put you off though, 2.2 is a fine engine, and you do at least have the confidence that it is a proven unit, reliability wise.
    Don't forget about a tuning box either, that will take the 2.2 to 150BHP (on par with the 2.2 petrol) and it will have an absolute shed load more torque !!!
    This week is a good example for me, the car has been booted around once or twice just to see what it can do, and it keeps putting a smile on my face time after time, yesterday I cleared the 200 mile mark on my first tank of gas, in the petrol I'd be filling up again by now, this thing still has half a tank left in it !!!!
    Go and drive a 2.2 DTi, you may be pleasantly surprised.

As for spec, well it really depends what you want, the Elite is certainly the best spec'ed, but do you really need climate control, or is simple air good enough for your needs ??? Do you really want full leather ??? I always like the idea and look of leather, but I don't find it very practical personally.
    I would have favoured an SRi, but could not find one, not with a auto box any way.
    In the end I went for a Design, which is actually better spec'ed inside than the SRi I had, fortunately for me, my one already has a full Irmscher body kit fitted, and Irmscher suspension kit. (It has taken me months to find the right car at the right price)
    And boy does the suspension kit make a difference, this thing is tighter than my SRi hatch !!!
    It all depends on what you want out of it mate, remember though, changing stuff like, seats, suspension and even bumpers/body kit on a Elite or Design is a lot easier than trying to add toys like climate control or parking sensors to a SRi.
    I got a 2.2DTi auto Estate, Design spec, all Irmshered up, on a 04 plate, 13K on the clock for £10,200.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Told you GG would be along to offer some input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Some 05 models for less than £10,000 HERE
    There are also some 05 "Life" models there for less than £9000 too.
    For £11,299 this is the one to go for SRi 1.9CDTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We have a 05 1.9 CDTI (150) Design Estate, absolutely brilliant for 4 people, and even 3 people in the back is combatable. (There is more leg room for the rear passengers in the Estate/Signum than there is in the Hatch).

The only real issue with the estate is it's length, as I found out this weekend, when the car was parked in a bay, and a bus hit the back end! - If we where in the Golf, the bus wouldn't have hit the car as it wouldn't have been sticking out of the bay

The other issue is the boot in the estate, it's great when the seats are down, but when you have people in the back, you don't seem to be able to stack stuff up as much, as it has a flat floor, and no well, you loose a good few inches of depth that you get in the hatch. However it all depends what you think when you have a good look at it.

If you where ever thinking of towing a caravan the Estate is brill with the self levelling suspension as an option. We have no issues at all with our car, however we did have a 04 Vectra Hatch 1.9 CDTI (120) which was the worst car ever to tow with (Vauxhalls eventually replaced the car because it was that bad).

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information