User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used TechDepot to buy stuff from?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Anyone used TechDepot to buy stuff from?

Looking to upgrade my current TeraStation II 1Tb to the TeraStation III 2Tb

Looking online for prices the best I'd found so far was at eBuyer and having used them numerous times more than happy to buy from them.

Then I came across it for less at TechDepot. Once you add the shipping charge (which was FOC with eBuyer) it comes to £22 less - not a huge amount given the overall cost but £22 is £22.

Having never used TechDepot though I don't know what they are like - anyone had dealings? Might I as well stick with eBuyer and pay the bit extra?

Also, if anyone comes across it cheaper anywhere else - linky please!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have used ebuyer quite a bit and been very happy with thier order now for next day delivery service
    will have a hunt around to see what i can find...................

i'll be back

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by deztroyer View Post
    have used ebuyer quite a bit and been very happy with thier order now for next day delivery service
    Yeah, the next day option is handy but as I'm not in a mad rush for it I'm not paying a tenner extra for that. - free delivery option within 5 days and last time I used that option it came two days later so I'd use that if I went with eBuyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by deztroyer View Post
    will have a hunt around to see what i can find...................

i'll be back
    Hokey dokey.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yep can find for same price on pcwb.co.uk - no stock with 9.99 delivery charges and availability of around 4 days - not many other sites even close on price
    seems your research has found the best deals - unless someone else can help..........

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A mate of mine was selling a 2Tb unit to go up to 4Tb. Don't know if he still has it, or not.

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Was that the Mk III? If so then could be interested - all depending on price. although TBH I'd probably prefer to buy one new all warrantied etc.

Just to throw a spanner in - I'm now contemplating the 4Tb model. I'm around 86% full on my 1Tb and that's taken me a couple of years to get to that, so I'd been thinking that the 2Tb would suffice as by the time I filled that I'd be looking at/wanting to get whatever the newer model was then. Biggest difference of the Mk III over the Mk I is the much faster write speed, which was always a gripe of the Mk I - so with the Mk IV/V it may have similar advances again - so just not sure whether to get the 4Tb as it may be paying for extra space that I'll never end up using before I replace the unit.

However, the price difference between the 2Tb and 4Tb units make it so tempting just to get the 4Tb. eBuyer price is 'only' £163 extra for the 4Tb so in terms of cost per Tb it's a huge difference (2Tb = £324/TB, 4Tb = £202/Tb - obviously as the only difference between the two is the discs as you've already paid the same for the unit itself in relative terms).

Gawd - what to do!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Was that the Mk III? If so then could be interested - all depending on price. although TBH I'd probably prefer to buy one new all warrantied etc.

Just to throw a spanner in - I'm now contemplating the 4Tb model. I'm around 86% full on my 1Tb and that's taken me a couple of years to get to that, so I'd been thinking that the 2Tb would suffice as by the time I filled that I'd be looking at/wanting to get whatever the newer model was then. Biggest difference of the Mk III over the Mk I is the much faster write speed, which was always a gripe of the Mk I - so with the Mk IV/V it may have similar advances again - so just not sure whether to get the 4Tb as it may be paying for extra space that I'll never end up using before I replace the unit.

However, the price difference between the 2Tb and 4Tb units make it so tempting just to get the 4Tb. eBuyer price is 'only' £163 extra for the 4Tb so in terms of cost per Tb it's a huge difference (2Tb = £324/TB, 4Tb = £202/Tb - obviously as the only difference between the two is the discs as you've already paid the same for the unit itself in relative terms).

Gawd - what to do!!
    No, it's a Mk 1, upgraded to 2Tb. He tried to upgrade it to 4Tb, but the chassis didn't support 1Tb drives.

Bear in mind that data expands to fill the space available, and your next camera is bound to produce even bigger RAW files, so you may as well go for the 4Tb.
    I can't believe we're blithely talking about Terabyte disks. Doesn't seem five minutes since I was paying £75 for a 1Gb disk!

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for taking the time to do that I had looked at alternatives to the TeraStation as the market has obviously changed since I got the Mk I (there was nothing else touched it back then) and on paper a number of them sound very attractive and even 'better' than the TeraStation - but I'm still swayed towards the TeraStation as I'm obviously familiar with how it works, it's been rock-solid reliable all this time (absolutely crucial for me) and has a set of features that I really like. It's got nice things like ability to back-up to a USB drive - all managed from the OS on the TeraStation, no need to do it through software on the PC. I can also plug in my 'old' TeraStation via Ethernet and the new one can then also backup files to that (would obviously need to be selected folders once I get past the capacity of the 1Tb unit on the new unit). Also has things like sending an e-mail report each time a backup and RAID disck check are performed.

I'm not sure if any of those others have all those features? - some look to have some of them, not sure if one has all that the TeraStation has? Difficult to know without getting hands on with them and trying. What I will do though is have a look for PDF manuals for them and see if that helps - but I'm pretty much decided on the TeraStation again. Oh, and the Iomega is ruleed out as I vowed I'd never buy another Iomega disk based product after the awful reliability of the Jaz drives/discs and Iomega's bare-faced refusal to accept that there was any issue with them despite people all round the world having problems! They admitted the Zip had problems and that cost them dearly - so they probably didn't want to face the same with the Jaz. Anyway, I digress.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Phil - somehow didn't see notice your subsequent reply yesterday!
    Quote Originally Posted by SignumPhil View Post
    No, it's a Mk 1, upgraded to 2Tb. He tried to upgrade it to 4Tb, but the chassis didn't support 1Tb drives.
    Yep, 2Tb was the largest configuration in the Mk1.
    Bear in mind that data expands to fill the space available, and your next camera is bound to produce even bigger RAW files, so you may as well go for the 4Tb.
    Yep, I was thinking about that last night and there's every chance I'll be upgrading to the 5D MkII at some point and the RAW files on that are going to be substantially bigger then on my 5D Mk1.
    I can't believe we're blithely talking about Terabyte disks. Doesn't seem five minutes since I was paying £75 for a 1Gb disk!
    lol, I know. When I bought the 1Tb it was a case of "Wow!!!, I've got a Terabyte of space" lol, now I'm talking about having several Tbs!

gregc - thanks again for those links. I had a gook look over all the specs and the WD one was coming in as a close contender, but for me the TeraStation, whilst the more expensive of them all, has a feature set that suits me better and it's performance was up with the rest.

Soo, given my research yesterday I went back to eBuyer to order it, and had decided on the 4Tb - only to find that the prices had changed since yesterday!!

However, for once it was good news as they had been reduced quite significantly!! Yesterday the 2Tb was £648, now it's £583! 4Tb was £808, now it's £729 - so they blow away the TechDepot prices, and anyone else for that matter. Amazon were pitifully uncompetitive with their prices - normally they're pretty good. Although it all depends on the item. I've seen them really good on one thing and the most expensive on others.

Anyway, now ordered and given the drop in price since yesterday I 'splashed out' and got next day delivery so will be here tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information