Thread: Your thoughts please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Your thoughts please.

I have come to the conclusion (Again) that the standard 1.9 CDTi brakes are crap, I don't understand why Astra 1.9 150'shave 308mm front brakes and the Vectra /Signum has 278's, although it is much bigger. They are good enough in my opinion for a standard car, let alone those who run re-maps etc

So I have been speaking to Courtenay about having brand new VXR 345mm dicss and new calipers up front, and converting the rear to VXR vented discs and calipers.

What do you reckon, good idea?

I'll keep all the old brakes to put back when I sell the car though as the VXR kit will always sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

do it...you'll feel the difference

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i've only got 314's mate, and they're an amazing improvement over the standards, so I'd expect the VXR ones to be immense. Duncan would be the one to ask though...

(ok, a few other people on here have them too, but Duncan's more likely to be around...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

I don,t think you can ever have enough braking power. In my opinion good brakes are essential. I am glad mine are good on my motor. Upgrade yours if you don,t think they are ample for the output of your engine. It is all well and good being able to accelerat fast. But can you stop fast. I was amazed at how quick and well Spoons motor could stop.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ed taylor View Post
    I don,t think you can ever have enough braking power
    Up to a point. As Ste says, there will come a point where the tyre grip is less than the braking force, and the wheels will lock up. Obviously ABS will kick in, but it that's the first thing that happens every time you put your foot on the brake then you may have gone too far with the brakes...

I haven't reached that point yet, and i doubt with the 345's you will, although Spoons and the other bloke who have the AP racing 6 pot setup might, dependign on their tyres...

As is also mentoned - the most dangerous thing then becomes the bloke behind you having rubbish brakes and not being able to stop in time to avoid hitting you when you stop on a sixpence...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have been advised to leave the rears alone and just do the fronts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think its a good idea Matt - how much are court's charging if you dont mine me asking

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I have come to the conclusion (Again) that the standard 1.9 CDTi brakes are crap, I don't understand why Astra 1.9 150's have 308mm front brakes and the Vectra /Signum has 278's, although it is much bigger.
    I take tit you meant 285mm? - that's what is on the front. 278mm are the rears.
    So I have been speaking to Courtenay about having brand new VXR 345mm dicss and new calipers up front, and converting the rear to VXR vented discs and calipers.

What do you reckon, good idea?
    As per our phone convo, there's a significant difference with the 345s over the 314s, so given the price you could get them for I'd say give it a shot. As you said, you can always sell them on when the car goes - although if the pads/discs have worn a fair bit you'll have to reflect that in the price as replacement ones are expensive! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold101 View Post
    i've only got 314's mate, and they're an amazing improvement over the standards, so I'd expect the VXR ones to be immense. Duncan would be the one to ask though...

(ok, a few other people on here have them too, but Duncan's more likely to be around...
    As above, definitely a worthwhile upgrade over the 314s, so over the 285s it'll be mahooooosive. My thoughts on the 345s after they had fully bedded in - link for you Matt as you haven't viewed the thread.

I have been advised to leave the rears alone and just do the fronts.
    No harm in doing the rears - if you could get the kit for a good price. With my 2.0T having the 292mm rears, it means I've now got exactly the same setup as the VXR. Not sure what 'effect', if any, putting the 345s on the front but staying with 278mm on the rear will have - whether anything will be disproportionally out of balance in terms of braking ratio?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Up to a point. As Ste says, there will come a point where the tyre grip is less than the braking force, and the wheels will lock up. Obviously ABS will kick in, but it that's the first thing that happens every time you put your foot on the brake then you may have gone too far with the brakes...

I haven't reached that point yet, and i doubt with the 345's you will, although Spoons and the other bloke who have the AP racing 6 pot setup might, dependign on their tyres...

As is also mentoned - the most dangerous thing then becomes the bloke behind you having rubbish brakes and not being able to stop in time to avoid hitting you when you stop on a sixpence...
    Yes I agree. I took it for granted that other factors would need to be brought in line with the upgradeing of the brakes. No good having super braking power when you have "say" 205/50/17 tyres. Stiffer springs would be a good idea too.

spoons

Up to a point. As Ste says, there will come a point where the tyre grip is less than the braking force, and the wheels will lock up.
    Correct, BUT, the main reason for the big brake kits is not all about braking force. Its about MAINTAINING braking force over and over again, getting rid of heat buildup

Heat buildup is the biggest cause of brake fade.. then your in trouble.

I really like the 314mm kit and the VXR kit. But both will fade after a while if used continuously braking hard into fast corners.

Bigger discs, more pots in the caliper, high temperature brake fluid, braided hoses, high temperature pads, suspension, weight of the vehicle & tyre grip... all play a part in getting a good brake force solution, over and over again...

Just thoughts from my own experience and knowledge
    Last edited by spoons; 15th June 2009 at 12:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information