Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tip for fitting Parking sensors to an estate

Hi all,
    Having just finished fitting parking sensors to my estate I thought I would post a quick tip on how to find and then drill teh holes in the right place.
    1. Lay under the car and clean the back of the black strip at the bottom of the bumper.
    2. You should then see some very faint crosses (vertical and horizontal lines. They are faint so you do need to shine a light along the strip. There is one just outside each reflector and then one just outside each of the main brackets.
    3. You can't easily drill the holes from inside while the bumper is still on so use a sharp braddle to mark the centre of each cross. With a little bit of force you can push the braddle through so that it shows on the outside on the bumper.
    4. USe each of the marks to then drill the hole for each of the sensors.

The above means you get the sensors in the right place and saves removing the bumper.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the tip ! I have an Estate and been doubting for ages to fit parking sensors. Which one did you use and which route did you took to get the wiring in ? Is it an easy job to fit them ? Thanks for the help m8

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Red face Thanks for tip. More help needed.

Hi,
    Great tip as I'm a newbie and picking up courage to fit 8 sensor Gadgetman to front and rear of 2007 Vectra 1.9Cdi Estate. Got all the bits and not worried about the electrics. Is there any problem finding a route from rear sensors into the the left hand rear panel area?
    The rear fit is quite low down and I assume the sensors need angled up a little to avoid false alarms.
    Do you know if I can do the front without taking off the front bumper? If so where are the best instructions to mark the drill holes and feed throughs.
    Going to fit a relay in the rear circuit from the rear brake light, and a timed 30 sec delay switch to the fronts initiated by the reverse lights.

Thanks
    Euclid

North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Hatchback Facelift

Trim : Club

Engine : Z18XE

Year : 2005

Mileage : 100085

Quote Originally Posted by Euclid View Post
    Hi,
    Great tip as I'm a newbie and picking up courage to fit 8 sensor Gadgetman to front and rear of 2007 Vectra 1.9Cdi Estate. Got all the bits and not worried about the electrics. Is there any problem finding a route from rear sensors into the the left hand rear panel area?
    The rear fit is quite low down and I assume the sensors need angled up a little to avoid false alarms.
    Do you know if I can do the front without taking off the front bumper? If so where are the best instructions to mark the drill holes and feed throughs.
    Going to fit a relay in the rear circuit from the rear brake light, and a timed 30 sec delay switch to the fronts initiated by the reverse lights.

Thanks
    Euclid

I did the 6 sensor Gadgetman Kit earlier this year - 4 x rear & 2 x front...modified wiring to suit my idea of what I wanted from them and the reasons why...and posted a wiring circuit diagram of what I did - not meant to be a how to....

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...t=84009&page=2

As far as the front sensors were concerned...I fitted one either side of the number plate feeding the cables up & round the back of the battery box, thro' a blanking grommet on the LHS of the Bulkhead near the pollen filter & behind the glove-box which I removed, threading them down & tucked under the LHS front passenger side trim panel, under the LHS sill panel trim, up and behind the rear passenger seat & side panel ( back seat cushion removed and backrest eased out a little), into the boot under the carpet and tucking it behind the LHS trim panel finally connecting to the sensor control unit which I mounted on the plastic frame behind that trim panel where the first aid kit would normally be mounted, which our Club Facelift C doesn't have....

I was concerned about the length of cables fitted to the front sensors, which although significantly longer than those on the rear, the one I used for the RHS of the number plate was barely long enought to reach the sensor control unit position in the boot...If the outer sensor on the front had a cable the same length it would have been short...

Only a couple of hiccups occured apart from grazed fingers etc..were again mentioned in the posts I put up...
    They have worked perfectly ever since...I'm highly delighted with them and the fact that they work in the way I planned.

Also colour coded them to suit the car.. Lighting Silver standard shade Z163...I've got a number fo pictures 'on my project' if your interested...

Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Thanks Tony W

Thanks Tony,
    Many thanks for taking the time to post. I've studied your instructions and think I can probably manage. However one of my key questions was can I fit the front sensors without removing the front bumper?
    Thanks

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Euclid View Post
    Thanks Tony,
    Many thanks for taking the time to post. I've studied your instructions and think I can probably manage. However one of my key questions was can I fit the front sensors without removing the front bumper?
    Thanks
    Hi Euclid.....glad it was useful...thought about it but I was reluctant to do 'em with the bumper in situe because there were no dimensions posted on the site for the front bumper sensor positions..unlike the rears....so decided to remove it because the general opinion on the site was it was relatively easy..and it was...

The pictures below show what I found when I removed it...

You may be able to roughly locate the sensor position from the above....

Good luck....Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You may get a few grazed knuckles etc threading the sensor cables round the 'crash bar ' behind the bumper.. I routed the sensor cables up the LHS of the front panel up & round the rear of the battery box etc to the LHS bulkhead area then thro it..as mentioned in my previous posts...cheers

Thread Information