Thread: Driving Standards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Driving Standards

Following discussion in another thread, what's your opinion on ways to improve driving standards?

I think re-testing should introduced, say every 5 years, cost should be minimal and the test should be just a quickie to make sure you're up to scratch. Perhaps follow the format of the bi-annual 'check test' that driving instructors have to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

RANDOM

If the door could knock at anytime for an assesment test, i.e you drive the examiner through town and up the motorway for half an hour to see what your actual road perception is like, not really one for theory, it's ok at time of 1st test, but I feel it's how a person points and observes is the key to good driving, asking what colours are in which lane colour of roadsigns etc isn't as important as finding drivers who are blinkered, box sections and red warning signs excluded, these are musts as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

All valid points VV, I think there should be much more emphasis on Hazard Perception, not on the silly computer test but actually on the road. The HPT can be passed by anybody that's never driven a car on the road before (and often is as people do it before starting lessons quite often) but at the same time a perfectly good, safe driver could fail it simply because they are cr4p on the computer or get kicked out of a clip for 'cheating'. HPT should be assessed on the roads in real conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've seen so many ppl who can drive for an hour on the test day and become no better than 1st lesson standard afterwards Spikey, what we really need is fingerprint recognition steering wheels, i.e if ya dabs arent on the database the car wont start, one for the future eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

HP is assessed in the test, thats what everybody does everytime you drive. There is only so much you can test folk on and lets be fair - its those drivers who have the ABILITY of HP but choose not to use it that are the worse, far more dangerous. Those who struggle to percieve hazards tend to drive more cautiously because they dont feel safe. Its those drivers that can see you, know that they shouldn't do what they do and do it anyway that i think cause the accidents. Retesting these folk wouldnt work cos they can do it when they want.

What needed is to show them what really can happen - give them the job of cleaning up afterwards as a punishment for bad driving - two issues dealt with in one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Far better policing is needed in my opinion, I cover around 2500 miles a week and see poor driving daily.

Not more camera's but a better police prescence in general concentrating on careless, unsafe and dangerous driving not just speeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Robbieben
    Far better policing is needed in my opinion, I cover around 2500 miles a week and see poor driving daily.

Not more camera's but a better police prescence in general concentrating on careless, unsafe and dangerous driving not just speeding.
    With more police on the road, think of all the extra sales of those small round cake things with jam (or custard) in...

I'm not sure that adding more police to the roads will make hem safer, I think it's better training and education that's needed mostly. There deffinately needs to be a better 'attitude' towards driving and other road users.

Take the example of Nutron in the thread that sprouted this, I know it's damn annoying when some bu99er cuts you up or drives irresponsibly, but does that give you the right to blow off steam by doing the same? What you need to do, just like the training manuals say is take a deep breath, remain calm and concentrate on your own safe driving. Show them what they've done wrong by driving correctly.

Or pull them over at the next services and batter them with a wheel brace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Having a fully marked Police car doesn't make the sightest bit of difference. Most people can't even see it in their rear view mirror. The observation abilities of a large number of people has to be seen to be believed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by MLC
    Having a fully marked Police car doesn't make the sightest bit of difference. Most people can't even see it in their rear view mirror. The observation abilities of a large number of people has to be seen to be believed.
    I think that's one thing that's not taught enough, scanning around with your eyes. I remember seeing a program on it once and they proved that people who are constantly moving their eyes around, scanning mirrors and other road users etc. make the safest drivers. It's something I try and do all the time it helps a great deal with hazard and copper spotting. One of the biggest problems with fatigue is that you stop doing this, add in things like microsleep and slow reactions makes a tired driver just (if not more) as dangerous as a drunk driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[QUOTE=MLC]Having a fully marked Police car doesn't make the sightest bit of difference. [QUOTE]
    Couldn't agree more, I watched a police car try to get to an accident the other day on the M11 and it took him nearly 1 mile to get pat 3 cars all tailgating at about 85-90, then when they realized, instead of moving over they hit the brakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information