Following on from my previous thread (http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80680)) I had already installed my alpine headunit:
my next task was to install my components, amp and a subwoofer:
I spent a long time searching this site looking for ideas and in the end I decided to install a single sub behind the cubbyhole on the RHS of the boot. I need to use all my boot space (keen scuba diver!) so this seemed to be the best option for me. I did toy with the idea of cutting the boot trim panel and integrating something into it, but in the end I just wasn't brave enough to start hacking away at it!
I decided to make a fiberglass sealed box for the sub which would fit tightly into the space available. I've had a play with fiberglass before and apart from being very messy it was nowhere near as difficult as i was expecting. I found a really helpful guide which shows step by step how to do it; http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/projects-speaker.html. I didn't get my fiberglass from cfs though as i found it much cheaper on ebay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260412920174
As the following pic shows I used loads of masking tape over the area I wanted to cover with fiberglass and smeared some wax over the tape to make it easier to release from the mold once set.
I originally used loads of plastic sheeting all around the build area as the resin tends to get splashed about a bit (at least when i'm doing it!). I built up three layers of mat then left it overnight to go off before taking it out of the car (took a fair bit of pulling but popped out OK in the end).
In the next step I trimmed the fiberglass to size and made up an MDF baffle to hold the sub. I attached this temporarily to the fiberglass with hot glue and added some braces to increase strength.
I test fitted it back into the car and found that I had to trim off quite a bit from the top left of the baffle to allow the boot trim panel to be fitted back in place easily. Next I covered the gaps with a few layers of masking tape and filled the gaps from the inside with a few layers of glass mat and resin. The small gaps i filled by mixing up a paste of resin + shredded mat and squashed it into place. Again this was left overnight to set before removing all the masking tape.
It's not the prettiest of things but it's got no air leaks and seems to be more than strong enough. Thankfully it was still a good fit once all the fiberglassing was done. I attached a couple of bolts through the back of the box to fix it securely to the wall of the boot (no pics of that sorry). Once all the boot trim panels were back in place it was nicely hidden away;
Now you see it:
now you don't!
The front components I installed by following the method shown on Ian's excellent install thread; http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51109. Following his instructions were pretty easy although threading the speaker wire through the grommets was a real pig of a job! I made up some baffles out of MDF by tracing round the old speakers, rather than using autoleads adapters (saved a few quid and possibly will give a better sound). The tweeters were removed from their mountings and hot glued into the door trim panel. Sorry no pics of this bit and they are all hidden away behind the door cards now (it's done exactly the same as in Ian's thread though)
The amp power wire was fairly easy to thread through and I mounted the fuse inside the battery box:
Running the speaker wires and interconnects was fairly easy, although i must confess I ran the RHS speaker wire and interconnect down the same side of the car as getting a wire across the whole width of the dash looked like a pain of a job!
I decided to mount the amp on the back of the seat as it was too big to fit anywhere else really, without going to all the hassle of installing a false floor. I attached the earth by enlarging a hole on one of the supports behind the seat (sanded down to the metal first to get a good connection). I really didn't want to drill through the bottom of the boot + risk rust forming and this seems to do the job ok.
The last job was to build a cover for the amp and trim it in some carpet to try and make it look a bit nicer.
It took me quite a while after getting the car to get around to doing the install, but in the end my need for decent sounds outweighed my laziness!
I'm really happy with how it sounds and it is more than enough for my needs. There is some rattling from the boot area when the music's up high but when driving along this is not really noticeable. In the future (when funds allow!) I will probably add some sound deadening into the doors and boot, and maybe seal the doors fully. For now though i'm a happy chappy!
Thanks for looking,