Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 120 vs 150 cdti reliabilty opinions wanted

as a long standing vectra user as taxi`s ( owned over 10 since the model launch in the 90`s both vec b and c ) i`m looking for opinions on the reliabilty difference between the 120 and 150 cdti engines

i`m currently in the market to replace 2 or 3 of my older vectra 2.0 dti models and the newer engine has me concerned with it`s reliabilty issues i.e swirl flaps,dmf,egr and the regeneration system etc

any opinions from owners of both greatly recieved especially from those with longer ownership of the model and high mileage users re their concerns with the engine

i am not interested in performance only what one is the most reliable engine,fuel consumption is a concern though but i`m led to believe the difference between the 2 isn`t much at all

i`m looking at purchasing ex lease models of around 2 to 3 years old at auction ( 2006 onwards ) so likely to be short on warranty if any at all depending on mileage hence my concerns

the skoda brand is tempting but i`d like to continue my brand loyalty that i have had for the past 14 years or so as taxi`s using vauxhalls,i am also considering astra estates with the 1.7 cdti engines ( probably 100 bhp version not the 80 bhp ) because of my concerns over the vectra 1.9 unit and i am aware astra`s have them too but if i was to buy an astra i feel i would choose the 1.7 cdti so anyone with opinions of them please add your thoughts aswell although this may not be the correct forum for sound advice on that matter

thankyou in advance if you reply,i look forward to reading some sound opinions

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

oh and one other question

i have been at the auctions for the last few weeks doing my homework re current values etc before i start purchasing and have noticed that none of the 150 cdti`s rev above 4000 rpm yet i`ve had 120`s red lining is this correct for the 150 model sat stationary in nuetral ? or has every one i tried had a fault and i have revved up a few now and all the same going to 4000 rpm and stopping with no management lights shown just not red lining as if it`s in safe mode ?????

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

general opinion on here seems to be that the 120 is more reliable, although the opinion does vary. If you don't care about performance then I believe it is also slightly more economical and probably cheaper in tax etc

I have a 150 tho and love it. No problems with it yet (touch wood)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If the car you were revving was not up to full working temperature, it won't rev much above 3700rpm, it's a safety parameter built in.

When up to running temperature they rev to just over 5000rpm.

You get good and bad engines in EVERY car on the road, but I can only express my personal experiences with the 1.9 150 engine.

I am on my 4th, and have covered near on 200,000 miles between them and they all have been perfectly reliable. Two of them were also re-mapped and still no issues.

I have had two of them with DPF's and to be honest if your doing loads of miles, it is doubtfull you will have DPF issues. Vauxhall have released a software upgrade for the re-generation cycle of DPF's and this does appear to increase reliability.

I can't fault them to be honest and I would not hesitate in having another one.

Regarding the 120, my dad has a 3 year old 120 and has had no issues and thats only done 16000 miles.

The 120 could be the way to go if your just plodding along, but don't be worried about a 150.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I looked at the options in the Vectra size class before buying my estate last October.
    In the 'value for money' class which discounted VW,Audi,Toyota etc I reckoned the 120 diesel 2005 facelift Vec to be the best balance of power,mpg,reliability etc.
    The Fiat JTD motor has a good reputation and so far I can't fault 48mpg at 70+, 4 + luggage on the Motorway. The only gripe I have is that the gearchange isn't as good as Ford's Mondeo. But, this may just be an adjustment issue.
    Hope this helps

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks maverick for clearing up my revving up issue that makes sense just started wondering due to the 120`s revving freely at start up and the 150`s weren`t,unfortunately at auctions you only have a minute or two to mini test a car physically before bidding and don`t have the time for it to heat up properly,so it`s basically a quick rev to check for untoward noises,smoke,management lights etc a quick test of the steering,clutch,gear selection and then it`s off to bid where afterwards if you win you may find out you`ve bought a lemon

over the past 14 years i`ve bought all my taxi`s at auctions with no issues afterwards but as this is a new engine unit too me not the car i may add i`m well experienced with vectra`s in general though i was wanting experienced views on the engine hence my post to make an informed decision whether to buy or not

thanks to all who have replied so far and any more opinions made welcome

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : CDTI158

Year : 2012

If keeping both standard (no mods), and you don't care about performance, the 120 could be the best long term bet - the reason being is it doesn't have that horrible "swirl valve" inlet manifold to worry about. That is a major problem for a lot of 150 cars, even ones which haven't been tampered with.
    However, if you intend remapping/tuning boxing the 120 version, you could well run into some expensive problems (DMF, fuel system etc). Same goes for the 150 too.
    So, my opinion is - for standard cars, cheaper to keep long term is the 120 CDTI.
    Tuner's delight, much quicker than the 120 in standard trim - the 150.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

forgot to add i asked similar questions last week at my local vauxhall garage where i have built up a great relationship over the years

the answer i got caused me these concerns even more hence the post as my reply from them was avoid the 1.9 cdti as it`s junk and that was from a well experienced member of vauxhall staff

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers and no i won`t be modifying the engines i want long term reliabilty rather than performance

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra GTS

Engine : 3.2 V6