North West on the Staffordshire/Cheshire Border
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question 3.2 GSi Gearbox problems

Below is part of a thread i posted on vectra-sport.com and one of the guys kindly pointed me in this direction so im hoping one of you GSi owners may be able to leave me a bit of feedback. Below is a fax sent to VX Customer care outlining the problems, so far the dealer has refused a field tech to come out to the car as they are saying that they are all normal traits of the GSi which is bull****. At 2,000 miles a new gearbox was actually fitted but after 2 days all these problems came back and all im getting off the dealer is grief.

""
    FAX TO – 01582 426725

CASE# *************

F.A.O - TOM

Reference on-going problems with Vectra Gsi 3.2v6 Manual KS54 *** ’05 Spec

▪ Grinding/Crunching/Rattle as drive taken up when clutch released, most notable when accelerating away changing into 2nd gear, but as time has passed it is becoming noticeable in the change to 3rd gear. Can be heard in first gear if at low speed and cornering slowly when drive is then taken up and revs increased. Noise is most apparent when clutch is released smoothly and slowly especially in the 2nd gear. If clutch is released sharply and with jerk then no noise is apparent. On two occasions the grinding and rattle into 2nd gear has been so bad that resorted to driving and using 1st gear straight to 3rd gear. All of the above problems become more and more apparent the more the car is used throughout the day.

▪ Clunking noise when taking up drive in reverse. Reverse gear is engaged and car is reversing at slow speed, most notable on slight inclines, clunking then apparent when forward gear is engaged and car moves off slowly.

▪ Chatter and rattle from gearbox when car drives over sharp speed humps or rough road service – most notable if clutch is depressed. Gearbox has very “loose feel” to it.

▪ Whilst driving with front passenger window open a very apparent whirring noise is obvious from the n/s/f, this whirring noise becomes agitated when the vehicle is driven over rough road.

▪ Gearbox has a huge amount of lash, very “loose, sloppy” feel, driving down the road and pressing and releasing the clutch in 3rd gear for instance produces a clunk and a rocking movement.

▪ On Saturday July 9th another more worrying problem developed with the vehicle under load, pulling out of a junction I had to accelerate away out of the path of a motorcyclist, on changing rapidly into 2nd gear there were two huge banging noises from underneath the front of the car as the esm tried to prevent the wheels from spinning, the noise was as if something had either snapped or gone under the car, I stopped and checked but there was nothing visible.

The dealers ( Greenhous – Hanley, Stoke on Trent ) answer to the above is that they have driven two gsi Vectras and found the same characteristics, concluding that “that is how they are."

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi m8, glad you signed up. I certainly hope someone can help you out here as it sounds like you have serious problems!

If I'm not mistaken Big Phil had a new gearbox in his 3.2 GSi, but I'm not 100% sure on what his initial symptoms/problems were.

Hopefully he'll be along with a reply.

D

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would contact Vx customer care direct or maybe another dealer.

Maybe start a poll on here to see who's GSi has the same traits. You can then present these facts to the dealer in question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah cheers Duncan..and AJA, ive contacted VX Customer Care who seem to be finally getting the dealer to get their ****s in gear, but as for your idea of the poll, thats a good 'un, cos i'd like nothing more than to shove a list of owners who DONT have these "traits" under the nose of the dealer.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No probs m8. I don't think you can add a poll to this thread now, but any of the admin can add a poll for you - just let us know what choices you want etc..

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mine is going into the dealer in a couple of weeks (for a week and a half!) to sort my on-going box probs (and a few other gremlins)

But mine is the 3.2 auto!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lborob17
    mine is going into the dealer in a couple of weeks (for a week and a half!) to sort my on-going box probs (and a few other gremlins)

But mine is the 3.2 auto!
    Mines booked in from tomorrow (tue) until thur for g/box stripdown but seem to be making waves with Customer Care so am being looked after. Two years ago i had serious cat probs with my Sri150 Veccy B (off the road for almost 2 months!!) and at the end of it i got a gesture goodwill payment of 200quids worth of VX vouchers from CC which paid for my Irmscher front grille and a few other bits and bobs , so im gonna be back on here when this is sorted and post the outcome of this latest episode. Basically, dont let the dealer treat u like ****, get Customer Care involved, get a case number and see your complaints through. Hope all goes well for you lborob17

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers scooby

Yep - ive got a case number from vx technical so am hoping should be ok- Ive given the dealer a 2 page document of all the things the box is doing wrong - which are all random and dont happen all the time!

The dealer was pleased that Ive explained in detail as it gives the technical guys something to go on.

The dealer talked about possibility of new gearbox - depending upon the outcome - so we will see.

Hope it is a permanent solution cus I would hate this to happen outside the warranty!!!

Hope yours gets sorted ok

I find it interesting that there seems to be a trend in gerbox probs on the 3.2 - both auto and manual - I wonder why?? Its encouraging to find out through the forum that ' I am not the only one'!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : i500

Trim : i500

Engine : V6 3.0CDTi

Year : 2005

are these all the F 40 gear boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

**UPDATE** Well VX have now authorised the replacement of my g/box and diff unit which will be the 3rd one fitted to the car including the factory original and its only covered 5,200 miles!!! They have also authorised complete clutch replacement, all g/box damping mechs and the flywheel!!! Not bad considering only last week they were stating that "all GSi sound like that". Im HOPING it will be ready by the weekend as ive got my name down for the 1st North West meet on Sunday Im currently driving a Nissan X-Trail hire car courtesy of VX warranty so the sooner i get my beast back, the better

@Ian_c - Dont know what my g/box is..just the standard 5spd GSi Manual which VX say cant be stripped to diagnose because a) The dealers dont have the tools for it and b) there arent actually any serviceable parts within the unit, but my question is, if these boxes do have internal probs then surely VX have to look at that cos they arent gonna keep chucking 1500quids worth of box on every time they develop the same faults

I will post a conclusion to this as and when i get my car back and also the response from Customer Care once this ongoing case is finally closed!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information