Below is part of a thread i posted on vectra-sport.com and one of the guys kindly pointed me in this direction so im hoping one of you GSi owners may be able to leave me a bit of feedback. Below is a fax sent to VX Customer care outlining the problems, so far the dealer has refused a field tech to come out to the car as they are saying that they are all normal traits of the GSi which is bull****. At 2,000 miles a new gearbox was actually fitted but after 2 days all these problems came back and all im getting off the dealer is grief.
FAX TO – 01582 426725
F.A.O - TOM
Reference on-going problems with Vectra Gsi 3.2v6 Manual KS54 *** ’05 Spec
▪ Grinding/Crunching/Rattle as drive taken up when clutch released, most notable when accelerating away changing into 2nd gear, but as time has passed it is becoming noticeable in the change to 3rd gear. Can be heard in first gear if at low speed and cornering slowly when drive is then taken up and revs increased. Noise is most apparent when clutch is released smoothly and slowly especially in the 2nd gear. If clutch is released sharply and with jerk then no noise is apparent. On two occasions the grinding and rattle into 2nd gear has been so bad that resorted to driving and using 1st gear straight to 3rd gear. All of the above problems become more and more apparent the more the car is used throughout the day.
▪ Clunking noise when taking up drive in reverse. Reverse gear is engaged and car is reversing at slow speed, most notable on slight inclines, clunking then apparent when forward gear is engaged and car moves off slowly.
▪ Chatter and rattle from gearbox when car drives over sharp speed humps or rough road service – most notable if clutch is depressed. Gearbox has very “loose feel” to it.
▪ Whilst driving with front passenger window open a very apparent whirring noise is obvious from the n/s/f, this whirring noise becomes agitated when the vehicle is driven over rough road.
▪ Gearbox has a huge amount of lash, very “loose, sloppy” feel, driving down the road and pressing and releasing the clutch in 3rd gear for instance produces a clunk and a rocking movement.
▪ On Saturday July 9th another more worrying problem developed with the vehicle under load, pulling out of a junction I had to accelerate away out of the path of a motorcyclist, on changing rapidly into 2nd gear there were two huge banging noises from underneath the front of the car as the esm tried to prevent the wheels from spinning, the noise was as if something had either snapped or gone under the car, I stopped and checked but there was nothing visible.
The dealers ( Greenhous – Hanley, Stoke on Trent ) answer to the above is that they have driven two gsi Vectras and found the same characteristics, concluding that “that is how they are."