Thread: Bashed by a BT van today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Bashed by a BT van today.

A BT van drove into the side of the Vectra today while my wife was driving.He has admitted full liability and everyone involved are unharmed.
    My 2 drivers side doors are caved in and various scratches on my rear wheel and back bumper.(pics to follow tomorrow)

I now a bit of advise because i've never had to claim before.

I evidently have 2 options.

Option 1 is that the other drivers insurance will repair my car at one of their approved centres and give me a car while mine being repaired with no cost to myself and no record on my insurance against me.

Option2.I have already notified my insurance company of the accident(just for their records) but they claim that they can deal with the whole matter.They said i could take it to the main dealers to be repaired and give me a like for like replacement car.I would have to pay my excess but i would get it back later.They have said it wouldn't affect my no claims bonus(protected anyway) but it would go down as a no fault accident.

My insurance company claim that if i let the other company deal with the repairs then they will try to get it done as cheaply as possible and give me a rubbish replacement car.

What do you guys think i should do?
    Has anyone been in the same sort of thing and regretted letting the other company repair your car?

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think the quality of the repair should be the priority mate. Hope you get it sorted soon.

South Wales Assistant Regional Organiser davidjameswest's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you should inform your repair to your ins co like you have once that is done it will got to a aproved repairer mate and the work will be top notch as it will be national repairer as it bt insurance co so chances are that it will be a dealer any way mate and as for the curtasy car its only temp so get what you given as that will be the case where ever you go norm but it is usualy a like for like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just going through this at the moment.

I did not want to do it through my own insurance, but my damage was just cosmetic – I could still use my car while the other insurance company waited on the chap to submit his version of events – and confirm liability

The insurance company (not mine) gave me a big car group as I said I needed a similar size car to my own.

If you go somewhere to get a quote they will want to send their assessor to the garage to have a look at the damage. If you go to one of their approved garages the process of assessing the dammage and starting work is speeded up

Hope it all gets sorted, glad everyone is Ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Nissan GT-R R35 Vectra XP2 CDTI

Trim : Nissan GT-R R35

Engine : 3.8 twin turbo 700hp

Year : 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

i chose option 1 last when my car was hit by an elderly man, and the body shop it went to did a great job.....

Option 1 is that the other drivers insurance will repair my car at one of their approved centres and give me a car while mine being repaired with no cost to myself and no record on my insurance against me.

less hastle and worked well for me mate

hth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Option two for me. That's what I've done every time. There is no way my car would ever go to a garage/Accident Repair Centre nominated by the other party's insurer. Having said that the local dealer can be as bad sometimes.
    Last edited by Stevel; 14th May 2009 at 21:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Use an accident managment company like helphire or brittania. let then do all the work and instead of gettin a cora or agila to run around in you will get a vectra or something the same size as you car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After having been hit by many many other drivers, my advice is, use thier insurance laddie. You get top notch service, and you can actually tell them that you need a vectra or similar and they will foot the bill due to iit being the other parties fault!
    plus all work carried out is gaurenteed, and if its not right, they take it in again and get it sorted, (had that happen twice now). Good luck son

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have done both methods and there is nothing in it. My insurance company's approved repairer is the local Vauxhall garage and the one I would use anyway. The replacement car will most likely be on a hire agreement on option 1 or 2 and will be on a like for like basis. They will then get payment from BT's insurer. Just watch that they will fit the stock of cars to their needs rather than yours. Mine is the v6 diesel Elite estate. I was originally promised at least a 3.0L estate. The depot told me that it was a 1.6 Astra estate that they would deliver and that the only big estates they had were Chrsyler 300c which were in a higher category as they cost more (£1,000 more on list than mine). A bit of jumping up and down and they turned up with a mercedes E220 saloon. This was fine except that my dog's back was broken in the accident and he needed regular visits to the vet for which the vehicle was impractical.

Go through your insurer unless your renewal is due as they will put it as a fault accident against you until they have confirmation from the other insurer that their client is responsible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information