Thread: Insurance nightmare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Insurance nightmare

Ime trying to get my 17 year old son a car for when hes passed his driving test, and insurance is proving to be an absolute nightmate. The best quote ive had for him as a second driver on my car is £4,300. So thats out the question.

So if i bought my son a car and insured myself as the main driver aswell as main driver on my own car, how could i make it look like both cars were actually mine. i.e that i am not fronting for my son.

I know its a bit bad, but thats what everyone does. Just put a parent as the main driver. But my wife doesnt drive so i would have to be the main driver of 2 vehicles in the household.

How could i do this guys. Do you have any advise for insurance if you have or know of any young drvers in your family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would be careful about what you're asking mate is my only advice, and professional advice. It's not fair young drivers have to pay so much but that's the way it is i'm afraid.

Robbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was always told that this idea no longer is viable as insurance companies base their price on the (riskiest) youngest driver.
    If he was to get a policy in his own name he would qualify for first time insurance discounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

nothing wrong with being the registered keeper on as many vehicles as you want - one of my mates has seven cars all registered as his and he is the main driver

my advice though buy him something cheap and cheerful - third party cover only and let him build up some experience this way any self damage he can learn to repair himself and service his own car to keep the costs down.
    he can also slowly build up his ncb

hth

regards

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hynzy View Post
    Ime trying to get my 17 year old son a car for when hes passed his driving test, and insurance is proving to be an absolute nightmate. The best quote ive had for him as a second driver on my car is £4,300. So thats out the question.

So if i bought my son a car and insured myself as the main driver aswell as main driver on my own car, how could i make it look like both cars were actually mine. i.e that i am not fronting for my son.

I know its a bit bad, but thats what everyone does. Just put a parent as the main driver. But my wife doesnt drive so i would have to be the main driver of 2 vehicles in the household.

How could i do this guys. Do you have any advise for insurance if you have or know of any young drvers in your family.
    £4300 . Take a look at this thread http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...ight=insurance and this was for West London.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My dad did it for my younger brother. I don't see anything terribly wrong with it. Okay its not totally 'correct' but theres no way of the insurance company knowing who drives it the most.
    Other things to do is make sure u get a low group car (ie Corsa 1.0 Group 1) fit an imbolisr/alarm, low mileage, and pass plus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You can own as many cars as you like, declaring yourself as the main driver when somebody else is using it 24/7 to get a cheaper premium is bordering on an offence. That is all I am trying to say, It matters not to me either way, just pointing it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i wouldnt, ive known insurance companies to investigatre after a crash....just get a 1 litre corsa or something slow and worth nothing....i used to pay £1500 third party for a metro 1.1 ( this was ten years ago )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie69 View Post
    You can own as many cars as you like, declaring yourself as the main driver when somebody else is using it 24/7 to get a cheaper premium is bordering on an offence. That is all I am trying to say, It matters not to me either way, just pointing it out.
    thanks for the reply Robbie. Yes ive done some research on this and its know as "fronting" and theres some bad stories on the internet on bbc etc. But its so unfair for young drivers. Especially the way all of his friends do it and get away with it.

If my wife could drive it would be great, as then the insurance companies would belive it was for her purposes, but with me being the only driver, it will probably become clear that ime fronting for my son. So this is the only reason i posted this on here, to get some general advise.

Theres no real way of him getting his own car on his own policy whatsoever !!!
    Even for really low powered cars such as Ka's 106's puntos etc the cheapest on his own policy is borderline of £5000.

Bearing in mind ime from liverpool, and some people that live in quiet towns not near big cities will think ime having a laugh as their quotes are nothing like this.

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bertbuckie1 View Post
    i wouldnt, ive known insurance companies to investigatre after a crash....just get a 1 litre corsa or something slow and worth nothing....i used to pay £1500 third party for a metro 1.1 ( this was ten years ago )
    Thanks for the advise mate. I didnt want to do down the road of fronting insurance to be honest, but it really is so tempting.

Theres no way he would be able to afford insurnace on his own car. Borderline of £5000 on all types of simple small cars.

Mainly due to the fact i have a liverpool postcode.

Thanks for your responce though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information