Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : SE Touring

Engine : 3.0

Year : 2007

Default Time for a little tweeking...

Ok, so my lovely 54 plated 3.2 V6 GSi is now back from the body shop, following the vain attempt of an ageing 3.0 Oil Burning Signum driver's attempt to ruin my rear bumper.
    Once home, first thing (due mainly to you lot) open up the air box and lo, there's the dirt only at one end. So air guide section removed and all back together. Given it's a lovely sunny evening, it seems only reasonable to take it for a spin round the plod-free roads of Shropshire and see if there's any noticeable difference.
    Actually, I'd say there IS. The revs definitely pick up a little bit free'er and gear changes seem slightly smoother.Seems like that 'airbox mod' is rather a good idea.
    Seeing as I was out and about I just kept on going and ended up at my local Vx to order the auto dimming rearview mirror harness. So hopefully, this weekend will be decent enough for a little more upgrading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nice one m8,any pic's of your motor and do you have any more mods planned????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I forgot to mention the addendum to the airbox mod.... got a replacement K&N filter element on order.... has to be a good move even if you only consider the 50,000miles before needing a clean and re-oil.
    I have to admit I do like to keep things pretty much as standard - you won't be seeing bling wheels or spoilers on mine. I prefer to be sat at the lights knowing the poor young lad beside me revving his 'hot hatch' has no idea what the Vectra beside him is going to do !
    I really should get around to bunging up a piccy or two, but just look at a pic of a standard 54 'moonstone' 3.2 GSi and you'll have a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok, well that's the wiring harness fitted for the auto dim interior mirror - all tested and working perfectly - well chuffed !.
    I checked on price for the plastic cover that hides the mirror base while I was collecting the wiring harness and as it's only about £7.50 I'll be ordering one to finish off the job soon.
    Once done, I'll be sure to publish the part numbers off each part I used for the good of all.
    I did use the How2 for this one as a guide, but found it a little vague for my setup. My 54 GSi Hatchback has power sunroof and the plug on the mirror remains clipped to the mirror mounting. No rainsensor fitted.
    I found this way a little easier:
    1. Remove boot carpet - lifts out.
    2. Remove nearside boot interior lamp - ease out and unplug.
    3. Remove boot rear edge plastic trim - align tiedowns straight out then lift lowest edge of trim. Trim is only press clipped in place.
    4. Remove torx screw from nearside parcelshelf end trim where it meets D pillar. Side trim is now free to move sufficient to clear plastic trim at lower edge of seats. Once clear, pull trim panel lower edge toward centre of boot until the panel can be removed completely.
    5. From rear seat, move rear nearside seatbelt upper mounting to highest position, unclip it's plastic cover and remove. Unscrew torx bolt and allow mounting and belt to drop onto seat out of the way.
    6. Prise out plastic C pillar trim pin (damn stiff).
    7. Uncover and remove two torx screws securing rear nearside grab handle - you may as well remove the front handle at the same time.
    8. Prise out the plastic pin at the top of the B pillar, then unclip the upper section of the B pillar trim - prise trim edge outwards once exposed from under weatherseal. Allow the upper section of trim to drop out of the way.
    9. Prise the plastic pin out from the top of the A pillar trim - it does NOT remove completely - allow A pillar trim to drop clear.
    10. Unscrew 2 torx screws from passenger sunvisor swivel mount, unclip sunvisor and allow to dangle on it's cable.
    11. Unclip sunroof motor cover/sunglasses holder for access. Unclip alarm sensors and allow to dangle.
    12. The headliner is now free to be carefully eased down by clearing it's edge from the door weatherseals.
    13. Feed the correct plug on the new ribbon cable (24450051) down behind the D pillar trim from the rear grab handle position, until about 1 foot of cable is free in the boot. Plug it in as shown in the How2 picture.
    14. Keeping the cable flat, feed the smaller plug forward, if necessary pulling the headliner down around the sunroof. Ensure you feed the cable AROUND the side and front of the sunroof until the plug enters the roof console cavity. The plug can now be passed out the front of the roof console and plugged into the mirror as mine, or the mirror plug unclipped from the mirror base and the connection made in the roof console cavity.
    15. Removed trim can now be returned to position - pretty much reverse of removal - but ensure the mirror cable is kept clear of the sunroof opening and mechanism.
    16. Mirror testing requires ignition ON, cover the sensor on the rear of the mirror, shine a torch onto the sensor below the mirror and watch the mirror image turn a deep green. Grin and be extremely smug. Play several more times. Note the amber LED under the mirror, shining down onto the gearstick area.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well done m8 very satisfying & lot's info for those looking to do the same ...... :yo;

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well the next stage is now under way.... the in car camera/digital video recorder (DVR) arrived this morning. I've had a minor play and so far I'm seriously impressed. Even using the supplied sucker mount, it hides nicely behind the mirror, while the control buttons remain accessible.
    Picture quality is certainly no worse than you see on tv from systems mounted in Police vehicles and like most similar systems, it takes a 2Gb SD card and records in a continuous loop. Better still, it works in low light/night too thanks to inbuilt IR lighting.
    The odd, yet nice thing about it though is that the battery is a Nokia BL4C phone battery, so it lasts very nicely and can be used even while the ignition is off (great for dodgy carparks). Supplied in the box you get the camera unit, battery, car power cord, USB - mini USB cable, AV cable, adjustable sucker mount.

For those interested, here's the item:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIGHT-VISION-I...3A1%7C294%3A50

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Parts for auto-dimming rear view mirror.

Ok as promised, now that I have completed the conversion to the electrochromic interior rear view mirror (that's the auto dim one if you were wondering) I can now list the parts that I used and that all work correctly together on my 54 3.2 GSi.

Mirror - 93190418 qty 1 - from a certain online auction site - prices vary.
    Harness Assy - 24450051 qty 1 - Vx parts - roughly £45
    Cover Assy - 93172239 qty 1 (set) - Vx parts - 2 part kit £8.50

I should mention that although I've not seen a Vectra with the auto dim mirror fitted as original eqpt, it's pretty obvious when you fit the plastic cover that there is a much larger 'black area' on the windscreen, as with a normal screen as I have, you can see the interior of the cover from outside the vehicle. Think I'll just cut a piece of card to fit and paint it matt black rather than changing the screen!

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

..... a pic to wet our appetite would be real nice .................

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My apologies...

Here's a couple ..... the finished interior fit..... and then the external appearance (note the visible cover interior).
    Attachment 22528

Attachment 22529

Thread Information