Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Default Has anyone...

Has anyone used their Vec to tow a car transporter trailer. I am in the middle of restoring a 1982 TR7 coupe and want to take it to shows. The car won't be finished till next year but i want to know if the Vec will cope. An alternative is to buy a diesel range rover

Any comments welcome

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the car should cope, not having owned a 2.2dti i cant really comment but the engine is powerful the only issue is it might put additional strain on some engine components so anything that is likely to break should go early on!!?!?!

also if your thinking of a 2.5dse P38 (old shape) range rover for god sake keep your money the p38's are appalling to drive, own and ridiculously expensive to repair, they are really slow and i dnt mean slow compared to a vxr i mean slow compared to the bus!! with complete honesty fella the p38's are awful, even with chip and remap they're bad! (i used to be a LR technician for a little while)

however if your thinking of new range rover or facelift with either bmw diesel engine, the TDV6 or the TDV8 then these are all fab engines which are extremely competant!!

let us know what u decide!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Should be fine m8, when towing as long as the weight you are towing is suitable for your car's weight.

But in terms of engine Torque is what is important and the DTI has 280Nm so it is fine bud in terms of capability but double check the towing weights for the car should be in the manual bud.

Gazza4

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

also forgot to mention buddy that if the trailer over a certain weight i think 750kg even braked you cant tow it without a hgv licence and i mean full artic, means u need a class 2 first and they cost a grand at the moment might b worth checking out the weights and licenece resrtictions!!!! HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vectra_c_wannabe View Post
    also forgot to mention buddy that if the trailer over a certain weight i think 750kg even braked you cant tow it without a hgv licence and i mean full artic, means u need a class 2 first and they cost a grand at the moment might b worth checking out the weights and licenece resrtictions!!!! HTH

I think you will find that gross train weight you can drive is 7500kg before you need hgv not 750kg
    with the vectra at about 1500kg im sure it would stuggle to pull 6000kg so should be fine to pull car trailor as long as the gross train weight does not exceed manufacturers specs.
    not forgetting that if you have past your test recently you will need a trailor liscence

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Cheers guys for the comments,

the dvla rules for trailer towing state that any driver who passed their test after the 1st Jan 1997 may only tow a trailer up to 750kg.

BUT... This is where it get complicated so stick with me

The above drivers may tow an outfit up to 3500kgs so long as the laden maximum authorised mass (max weight) of the trailer does not exceed

A: The unladen weight of the tow vehicle
    B: The towing capacity of the tow vehicle

I recently completed a test to tow trailers larger than this weight although i have been towing a caravan for the past 2 years because -

My caravan weighs 760kg empty and 1000kg laden so take 1000kg

My 2.2dti sri weighs 1498kgs unladen
    It also has a towing capacity of 1500kgs

This means that my caravan + the weight of the car comes in at 2498kgs. Well within the rules.

Hope this clears that up

Cheers for the heads up about the P38 vectra_c_wannabe, this is the one i was going to be going for. I also have a soft spot for the classic, which is just as well as i can't afford a newer one I.e TDV6. Failing that the trophy may well go to a Ssangyong Rexton as i have heard good things about them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

no wories mate, im sure various people have different opinions and ,many probrably swear by the p38 on various LR forums but in personal experience they are rubbish! sadly thought the classic would probrably handle towing quite well but the amount of issues with maintenance on such and old car under high stress it would be much cheaper to keep the vec and keep repairing that rather than repair a classic!!

i too have heard good things about the rexton and theyre are supposedly very reliable however there is an image/badge issue but thats a small price for what is probrably a good car, cheap to buy aswell!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by john.robertson2 View Post
    Cheers guys for the comments,

the dvla rules for trailer towing state that any driver who passed their test after the 1st Jan 1997 may only tow a trailer up to 750kg.

BUT... This is where it get complicated so stick with me

The above drivers may tow an outfit up to 3500kgs so long as the laden maximum authorised mass (max weight) of the trailer does not exceed

A: The unladen weight of the tow vehicle
    B: The towing capacity of the tow vehicle

I recently completed a test to tow trailers larger than this weight although i have been towing a caravan for the past 2 years because -

My caravan weighs 760kg empty and 1000kg laden so take 1000kg

My 2.2dti sri weighs 1498kgs unladen
    It also has a towing capacity of 1500kgs

This means that my caravan + the weight of the car comes in at 2498kgs. Well within the rules.

Hope this clears that up

Cheers for the heads up about the P38 vectra_c_wannabe, this is the one i was going to be going for. I also have a soft spot for the classic, which is just as well as i can't afford a newer one I.e TDV6. Failing that the trophy may well go to a Ssangyong Rexton as i have heard good things about them.

When I was looking at this a ages ago for work (buying a trailer to go with our HiLux) I had to stick to a max 500kg trailer or it would put me over the 3500kg - which would mean I would need to get a Tacho fitted.

Thread Information