Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default '55 2.2 Direct loss of power

I've a '55 Signum Design 2.2 Direct, we are having a major problem with it at the moment, that I am hoping someone could shed some light on. We had a significant loss of power on Monday, it was drivable but felt like it was powered by a 1L not a 2.2!! No warning lights on at all. Tuesday same problem, still no warning lights. Wednesday it was difficult to start then stalled and wouldn't start. RAC couldn't find anything and followed to local (good & much used locally) mechanic. They have not been able to diagnose any problems with the car in the 3 days they have now had it. There are no fault codes and they are saying the fuel pump and fuel pressure seems to be fine, it just has no power and is difficult to start. The local mechanic has been in touch with Vauxhall for advise and info, however I'm reluctant to take to a Vauxhall dealers as I really don't think they could offer any better service than our local mechanic.

Can anyone help with this - I'm beginning to wonder just how or what I can do to get it fixed if no problems can be diagnosed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Try cleaning the EGR. If i'm right,when it cokes up it doesn't always if at all show up a fault code,but you will get a loss of power.Also ask your mechanic to clean the swirls at the same time.....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Sparky I'll pass that on today as my wife is picking up a loan car from them this morning that they have arranged for us. I'll post if we ever get it sorted....!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sparky71a View Post
    Try cleaning the EGR. If i'm right,when it cokes up it doesn't always if at all show up a fault code,but you will get a loss of power.Also ask your mechanic to clean the swirls at the same time.....
    Swirls on a 2.2 petrol
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry its taken so long to reply to this, completely forgot until trawling the forum for something else.

The problem was eventually solved after 4 days of our mechanic scratching his head, turned out the timing chain had practically snapped and was about to go kaput, so the chain had slipped and the timing was slightly out. Lucky escape I reackon, didn't much fancy forking out for a new engine......... It was still £700 worth of work though. Runs really smoothly now though.

Got another problem now though, the tail gate is jambed shut and won't open, it will unlock but just won't open...... Grrrrrrr back to our mechanic it seems.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Glad you cought it just in time mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    Swirls on a 2.2 petrol
    Yup, the direct has the variable flow manifold like the CDTi, my none direct has a normal manifold.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi, my vectra elite 2.2 direct petrol 2006 with 81000 miles showed the exact same problem, after stopping at the supermarket, I started the car and there was no power at all, slow response to accelerator, nursed the car to the main dealer and left it over the weekend, I trawled the internet and found your post, passed the info to the main dealer who duly ignored me, They spent 2.5 hours investigating the problem at £75 per hour and ordered up a MAF sensor from the factory, this of course failed to fix the car. I reminded them about the timing chain, they told me to take the car away and see if the problem would develop, I was worried as I do all motorway driving and if this was a timing problem this would trash the engine if the timing belt slipped or snapped, they then contacted Tesco Car Warranty (yes they do do car warranty), they told the main dealer about the timing chain problem, being a common fault. The dealer checked the following day and yes the chain had slipped, the warranty company took 2 days to attend to approve the repair. So in the end it was fixed under warranty, £462 worth of work which took a full week to complete. The garage waived the 2.5 hours investigation charge, they also said they had another customer with 65000 miles on a 2.2 direct engine with same fault that they could not fix , they have been running about with the same problem for the last 3 weeks. Thanks again for your post, saved me from trashing my engine
    Last edited by vectraelite; 22nd September 2009 at 11:08. Reason: adding petrol in text

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Engine : 20 Dti

HI M
    drop the rear seats climb in to rear section on the tailgate lock at the bottom of the hatch you will see a key slot in the centre of the lock you door key will fit this and hey presto turn key and hatch will open,then you can check locking mechanism from outside car.

Thread Information