User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 345mm VXR brakes - couple of weeks and a few hundred miles later....

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Following from this thread, the brakes have well and truly bedded in so have now been able to see how they compared to the 314s that they replaced (which replaced the 302s that came as standard on mine! lol).

Initial pressure on the pedal gives a nice progressive initial bite, with slightly further pressure all that's usually needed to brake in most circumstances.

Approaching a roundabout on a dual-carriageway at motorway speeds and leaving the braking a bit later than normal, for the purposes of testing, therefore requires a firmer push on the pedal i.e. a bit more travel and you can really feel the power of the brakes kick in as the car is quickly and firmly slowed down, yet it's still a nice progressive feel on the pedal and pedal travel can't have been more than half way! You almost don't want to push further as you know you're going to be hauled to a stop even more quickly!

Final test - involving quiet stretch of road and travelling at motorway speeds. Apply very firm pressure to the pedal and really push down hard on the pedal and OMG!! - the power with which you slow down and how quickly you come to a stop is somewhat impressive! - yet all the time the pedal feel is very progressive and you know that just lifting off a bit, or pushing down more, will give that bit less or more. Some powerful brakes are almost like on/off switches in how they react - not these. They are nice and progressive with plenty of feel, yet oodles of power if needed. I thought the 314s were good (which they are) - these are something else! The only 'worry' is that if ever an emergency stop is required, the person behind can't stop anywhere near as quickly!

Soooo, final verdict. A very worthwhile upgrade even from the 314 kit, and from anything else - 302 or 285mm - will be a massive difference. The only 'catch' is finding a set going for a decent price and in good nick - I'm pleased to say that the set I got were both.

I just hope that the discs, and hopefully the pads, will see me through all the time I will have the car for given the jaw-dropping prices of them - particularly the discs! I've just sold a complete 'as new' 314 kit for less than a set of the VXR discs cost!

EDIT: One thing I forgot to say is that I noticed (over the 314s) that the 345s noticeably need a little bit of warming up before they're working at full power. I know that applies to all brakes but I noticed it more on the 345s. It's nothing too bad, just literally a few applications of the brakes and that does it, but one to be wary of if it's a really cold day and you haven't applied the brakes before you approach a roundabout at speed! lol

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the update Duncan sounds like you are a 'Happy Chappy' ...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

great wright up duncan, as you need good braking power for the power you signum gives out

South Wales Assistant Regional Organiser davidjameswest's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

good mod mate , i like the 314 brakes never mind the vxr ones, quick question mate do these fit the standard sri cdti brakes

here is the link
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=280186158771

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, given the description that's what you'll need for the standard brakes on a 1.9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers mate going to get these for now till i get my wheels then big brake time, out of curiousity what does a vxr brake conversion cost if you dont mind me askin, and is it worth just gettin 314 or is there a massive difference for the price ie discs as you said above

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

VXR complete kit will cost about £900 from the dealers. Used - well it just depends on what you find and how good a price you can get it for.

For discs, you can get a disc/pad set for 314s for around £65 + VAT. For the VXR discs alone (as you can't get a kit that I'm aware of) it's around £240 for the pair and £135 for the pads!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

jesus my mrs will kill me when i get them then hehe, think il settle for the 314 kit as not going to make my cdti more than 225 bhp any way ,

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by davidjameswest View Post
    ...not going to make my cdti more than 225 bhp any way...
    And how exactly are you planning on doing this dude...? Going down the water/methanol route...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i dont think this would take much i reckon with the dtuk chip i have im already at about 18 ish and its on base settings, 225 wouldnt be that hard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information