0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0cdti 160bhp

Year : 2010

Mileage : 92274

Default nearly took out 5 people today

i was traveling along a minor a road today following an old person doing 30mph and 4 cars following,i knowthe road very well and i had a good view to see if there is any cars coming,the road is not dead straight but you can see if it is safe to overtake,anyway i overtake all the cars and not speeding to do it either,as i am about to get back onto my side of the road there are 5 people stood in the road! these were not visible untill i got past the last car (i was well past the lead car so he would not have pulled out) what i want to know is why these idiots were standing there,they had no reason to be there and they were at risk of getting run over as there was a slight curve to the road hence why i did not see them,had i had been the lead car doing 60mph i would not have seen them till late,my view ahead for cars and bikes was good,some of this party were leaning into the road as if looking for something or some one,before anyone says i should not have overtook where i was the visibility was good and the road markings were small dashed lines

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hope yer not too shaken up bud, i've not had that kinda situation but ive seen how easily they can arrise.

These are the dangers presented by slow drivers, they cause erratic driving or otherwise unnecessary overtaking..... in this case 5 innocent (or not entirely) pedestrians could have been lay in a pool of blood while the fore mentioned road menace tootles past 2 minutes later, shaking his head saying "didn't get you very far did it?"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : sri

Engine : 1800 vvt

Year : 2007

years ago we had been to the bike racing in scarbrough we passed through bridlington and into the country side opened the bikes up to 69.8mph {yeah right}..came round a sweeping corner to find an old bloke in the road on his hands and kness cleaning mud out of the catseyes.... bet his a**e was twitching like a rabbits nose for days after ...i know ours were....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by big tee View Post
    came round a sweeping corner to find an old bloke in the road on his hands and kness cleaning mud out of the catseyes....
    LMFAO!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Birchy63 View Post
    Hope yer not too shaken up bud, i've not had that kinda situation but ive seen how easily they can arrise.

These are the dangers presented by slow drivers, they cause erratic driving or otherwise unnecessary overtaking..... in this case 5 innocent (or not entirely) pedestrians could have been lay in a pool of blood while the fore mentioned road menace tootles past 2 minutes later, shaking his head saying "didn't get you very far did it?"

lol.. Sorry I do not agree, you cannot blame YOUR actions on some slow idiot that may be holding up traffic. Its up to you and you alone to decide whether its safe to overtake, regardless of the circumstances, you cannot place the blame on the pratt in front of you if you decide to be reckless because of your own impatience.

I hope the OP learnt something from what could have been a nasty incident. Weve all made the odd stupid mistake when driving at some time, hopefully we learn from it and ensure we dont repeat it again.
    Fortunately in this incidence it led to nothing serious, which is always good news. Learn from it and move on.

I'm not defending slow drivers, I know they can be a pain in the bum, and if your a bit impatient can put you in a situation where you might do things you would not have otherwise done. (I've done it myself in the past) However, ultimately its down to the driver, no one else. Perhaps patience is an age thing... I dont know.

To the original poster. Glad it came to nothing matey, shakes you up a bit though eh. (been there.. done it)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by big tee View Post
    years ago we had been to the bike racing in scarbrough we passed through bridlington and into the country side opened the bikes up to 69.8mph {yeah right}..came round a sweeping corner to find an old bloke in the road on his hands and kness cleaning mud out of the catseyes.... bet his a**e was twitching like a rabbits nose for days after ...i know ours were....

Didn't they teach you when you started riding to expect old geezers in the road cleaning the cat eyes, thought they taught that to every one...lol it may be funny now but I bet it shook you up a bit at the time matey.

Sadly it reminded me when watching the TT races over in the IOM some years ago of one of the top name riders whose name fails me at the moment. He very sadly met his end while racing, when some old biddy forgot it was a race day and reversed her car out of her drive in front of him as he was zooming past doing 150mph.
    Thats why they introduced placing cones etc. across the residents driveways to remind them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : sri

Engine : 1800 vvt

Year : 2007

if it hadnt have for my quick reactions and superb brakes he would have been having a urban tiger fireblade surgically removed from the crack of his

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree with Cameron on recklessness but I still really hate slow drivers. I often drive over the Snake Pass between Sheffield and Glossop and in the summer its full of such characters. It's tempting to take a risk - trouble is there's always loads of sodding peddle cyclists on there as well in summer - two or three abreast - and they're bound to be coming the other way!!!

So just sit back and admire the views!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dac100 View Post
    I agree with Cameron on recklessness but I still really hate slow drivers. I often drive over the Snake Pass between Sheffield and Glossop and in the summer its full of such characters. It's tempting to take a risk - trouble is there's always loads of sodding peddle cyclists on there as well in summer - two or three abreast - and they're bound to be coming the other way!!!

So just sit back and admire the views!

Wise,wise man.. sounds like your learning matey. Just aint worth it.
    I happen to know the road you mention quite well, as we lived in Penwortham for a number of years.

Okay I admit my attitude has changed has I've got older, probably since I've retired, I suspose mainly because I no longer have to dash around like a idiot to keep business appointments or whatever.

In reality, I think I've learned it was silly and pointless, I can see no circumstances whatsoever, that would justify my driving like a idiot just to fetch back a few minutes, and in most cases just a few seconds.
    Best to be a few minutes late in this world than a few years early in the next springs to mind.

Only yesterday while doing a legal 60mph on the way to Hereford, a white transit van driver decided it was not fast enough for him, and pulled out from behind the vehicle in front which resulted in causing the approaching traffic to sound the horn and flash their lights. A few miles down the road at a T junction I had caught up with him. So his stupidity was rather pointless.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Definately an age thing when i was a youngster i was a complete lunatic especially on bikes, now i'm alot older and slightly wiser, you begin to realise there's not point, i prefer a more relaxed driving style nowadays rather than having my foot hovering over the brake pedal all the time, i try to use my brakes as little as possible. If i need to be somewhere at a specific time i always give myself more than enough time to get there.

Thread Information