Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Broke The Locking Wheel Nut Key

Car come out of garage last Friday as it was in for 2 days having the front springs sleaved to rectify the knocking problem I had.
    Went to remove front wheels just now to have a good clean & polish but found all bolts done up very tight. Unable to remove them using the supplied wrench in the boot I went & fetched my breaker bar. Still proved a struggle for the normal 4 bolts but thought as the last ones a locking bolt common knowldge is tey don't get done up so tight. Who am I kidding, wheel bolt key smashed taking half the teeth out & as it slips digs into the alloy only inside the bolt hole thankfully. The wheels not perfect so I'm not too bothered about the small dig inside the hole but I'm screwing about the bolt being done up so tight, what if my missus needed to change a wheel as it's her car & she drives the littlen around & believe me she's done probably more flat tiyres than me.

Waiting for garage to call me back with an explanation. What do you reckon the outcome will be???

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ben H
    Waiting for garage to call me back with an explanation. What do you reckon the outcome will be???
    Phone conversation equivalent of shrug shoulders I bet - if they call you back that is! They'll probably say they were done to the correct torque - which I bet they weren't. I do my bolts up the correct figure (110Nm iirc) and they certainly aren't that difficult to get off!!

Bummer about scraping the wheel, even if it is 'only' the inside of the bolt well.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So a wheel bolt torqued up to 110Nm as you say which is what's in the handbook wouldn't take someone of 14 stone bouncing on brace to undo the bolts would it?
    This I did once before fetching a longer bar.

Anyway garage phones back & says they haven't gunned wheel bolts for years (yeah right I'm in & out of dealerships workshops all the time for work & they do nothing else but gun wheels) as they need to be torqued to specific ratings. I explained the extent I had to go to to release the normal 4 bolts then on the locking bolt it broke. They say to pop along & they will have a look to see what can be done.
    They then phone back 10 minutes later to say they didn't remove the front wheels to carry out the mod to the rad mounts as thats what they tried before I researched here to find out the problem with springs as they were unaware of this problem.
    I explain it was in last week to have the front suspension dismantled & so the front wheels had to of been removed. I even gave him the technicians name who by then had gone home so he said again bring it by tomorrow.

Gonna compare how hard it is to undo rear wheel bolts as no one's touched them & torque the n/s/f to 110 & compare it to o/s as I only tried the n/s.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So a wheel bolt torqued up to 110Nm as you say which is what's in the handbook wouldn't take someone of 14 stone bouncing on brace to undo the bolts would it?
    This I did once before fetching a longer bar.
    No m8, if it'd been torqued up properly it certainly wouldn't need 14 stone of you bouncing on it!
    Anyway garage phones back & says they haven't gunned wheel bolts for years as they need to be torqued to specific ratings. I explained the extent I had to go to to release the normal 4 bolts then on the locking bolt it broke. They say to pop along & they will have a look to see what can be done.
    They then phone back 10 minutes later to say they didn't remove the front wheels to carry out the mod to the rad mounts as thats what they tried before I researched here to find out the problem with springs as they were unaware of this problem.
    I explain it was in last week to have the front suspension dismantled & so the front wheels had to of been removed. I even gave him the technicians name who by then had gone home so he said again bring it by tomorrow.
    Interesting to hear what they say!
    Gonna compare how hard it is to undo rear wheel bolts as no one's touched them & torque the n/s/f to 110 & compare it to o/s as I only tried the n/s.
    Yep, that'll be a good test.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok this morning on way to garage I stopped of at the old mans & borrowed his torque wrench, tightened up n/s/f bolts, the one's I had undone to 110 & tried to undo them with the supplied wrench in the boot, could hardly undo them by hand, I have torn a muscle in my back recently but even still they were tough so out with the Snap On breaker bar & with a couple of tugs they came loose. Compared this to the o/s which I haven't yet touched & they were exactly the same.
    Spoke to my mate at a tyre depot & their procedure is as I guessed, put wheels on car, gun up 4 bolts, locking bolt wind up by hand, drop car on ground & torque all 5 up. I'm guessing the garage must of gunned the locking bolt in the air having the impact affect the guns give then dropped it down & tightened. I may be right I may be wrong.

Anyway went along to garage which I thought I was gonna have explained my options but before know it they take my keys & that was it, 45mins later I query with lady in service whats going on, she goes to find out. She comes back saying they've got one last bolt to remove as they are replacing them with a new set. I thought hang on a minute, no ones asked me if I want THEM to carry out the labour, I thought if it comes to it I'll by a new set as I broke the key & take them to my mate who'll remove the old ons for a drink so I ask her if I'm being charged for their labour to which she says no it's all at their expense.
    In the meen time I get chatting to a valeter & get some tips on what they use & where I can get their products so that was good.

Got home & tried the new locking bolts with new key with the Vauxhall supplied wrench from the boot & gradually they come free so hopefully all is good.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good result in the end at least - new set of locking bolts for free!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

110nm? Mine kept working themselves loose with 19" wheels on

Thread Information