Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default DMF replacement

just had the DMF replace by the dealer under warranty, big question is though should they have replaced the clutch at the same time?? cars only done 35000 miles, and i was told that the DMF going can cause premature failure or damage the clutch,

went the car went in the clutch pedal was level with the brake pedal and the gear change was okay, now the clutch pedal is at least an inch higher ( i can slide my foot from the brake pedal and it goes under the clutch pedal) and the gear change is clunky, so it seems to me that they fitted the existing one and adjusted it to hell

also may sound weird but when i'm wearing my thin soled shoes i feel a constant vibration through the accelerator, with trainer on i dont

i havent been back to the dealer yet as im been busy at work but in my opinion, if the clutch isnt covered and had a good bit of wear on it they should have came to me and said "clutch isnt covered but since we are removing the old one and refitting it we can do you a new one for x amount "

anyone any advice to give me before i go back to them

thanks

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When I had mine replaced at 47k . I replaced my clutch because when I looked at the clutch plate and cover it had load of crackes in the plate a cover surface making it very uneven due to the DMF vibrating.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the clutch is covered for 18500mls they will only replace it if the clutch has been damaged or contaminated by oil from the rear main seal

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

rolleyes

just had my dmf changed at 78k so at the same time i had the clutch done to as i was paying for it was a daft to not change the clutch at the same time

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yindeed it is best to replace it all together as it will just be false economy, i was lucky and got a gearbox to

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by silky View Post
    just had the DMF replace by the dealer under warranty, big question is though should they have replaced the clutch at the same time?? cars only done 35000 miles, and i was told that the DMF going can cause premature failure or damage the clutch,

went the car went in the clutch pedal was level with the brake pedal and the gear change was okay, now the clutch pedal is at least an inch higher ( i can slide my foot from the brake pedal and it goes under the clutch pedal) and the gear change is clunky, so it seems to me that they fitted the existing one and adjusted it to hell

also may sound weird but when i'm wearing my thin soled shoes i feel a constant vibration through the accelerator, with trainer on i dont

i havent been back to the dealer yet as im been busy at work but in my opinion, if the clutch isnt covered and had a good bit of wear on it they should have came to me and said "clutch isnt covered but since we are removing the old one and refitting it we can do you a new one for x amount "

anyone any advice to give me before i go back to them

thanks
    They should have replaced clutch under warranty - equally I suppose you should have asked. I would go back and say you think it is out of order not to have changed clutch at that mileage - if they refuse ask that it be escalated to VX Luton and make a fuss. You should be prepared to pay part of cost of clutch part - not labour. Find out why dealer did not ask you about replacing clutch at same time.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am in the process of changing mine now. Stripped the gearbox off yesterday. Clutch was like a jelly on the DMF. Plenty of cast iron dust in the bellhousing. The car is a 2004 1.9 (120) signum. Only done 65000, although its been rattling for the last 5000 miles. The friction plate has only worn by about 0.5 mm.
    Whilst its apart I am changing the plate and cover. Don't want the hassle of stripping the box out again!!!!!!!!!!
    Any body recommend a way of bleeding the clutch as i've changed the slave cylinder as well.
    The only reason I can see that the DMF fails is what looks like a plastic spacer around the centre boss fails. This spacer was all chewed up and hanging out on mine. Will try and post pictures later.

Pete

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Transit Custom

Trim : Limited

Engine : 125PS

Year : 2013

A clutch does not wear the same for everybody, Im very light on mine.

I sometimes see folks riding their clutch on hills waiting in traffic, etc, and I think "you have no idea what you are doing to your clutch."

So the point is one car having covered 35k miles could have barely worn at all, another could be worn significantly.

I dont think a failed DMF will cause damage to the clucth itself.

I changed my DMF on a car that had done 56K miles and left the clucth in as it had plenty of wear on it and it looked in really good condition.

Thread Information