Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What was your best road trip?

After being married for 18 years my hubby and I decided to call it a day, very amicably I might add. This was the same year as my 40th birthday and so I decided to do what I have wanted to do for years.

I was raised in Canada and often used to venture over the border to the USA but wanted to see lots more, so, I thought it's now or never. So, I took a big chunk of savings, flew to Detroit, hired a car and drove across 5 states in 4 weeks Met some fantastic people, drove thru the Blue Ridge Mountains and just had the best 4 weeks of my life. Would do it again in a heartbeat, specially if I could take my Vectra

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I should take back that last statement as the highways were pants, full of bloomin potholes and I had to bite my tongue at the toll booths to stop myself from asking why, when they were taking so much bloomin money, couldn't they fill the road crators

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you do all that on your own ???

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We often drive across Europe hoidays and family visits, that sought of thing.
    We did a Street safari rally "staples to naples" two years ago, that was great. Last year we drove to Slovenia, what a great drive. The roads are scary, they don't have barriers on blind corners on the mountains. The scenery is outstanding. Italy is a great palce, but driving in Rome is worse than rush hour in London.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep. Was only going for two weeks but since I could get one free extension on my ticket I opted for another two weeks. My family thought I was crazy but after 18 years of being Mrs Wifey I wanted to do something I wouldn't have the chance to do again. If anybody ever has the chance to go to VA then go for it. It was stunning! Went to the D-Day Memorial and, no matter what you learnt in school, it really bought it home of what happened. They actually had huge walls for each allied country and on it was the name of every soldier killed in action. Left there with a big lump in my throat

Also saw the home of Booker T Washington, the first black slave to become educated as a teacher. Don't get me started on my trip cuz I will never shut up about it but, as I say, I would do it again tomorrow if I could.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by padawun View Post
    We often drive across Europe hoidays and family visits, that sought of thing.
    We did a Street safari rally "staples to naples" two years ago, that was great. Last year we drove to Slovenia, what a great drive. The roads are scary, they don't have barriers on blind corners on the mountains. The scenery is outstanding. Italy is a great palce, but driving in Rome is worse than rush hour in London.
    I have always fancied a trip to Rome but heard it's as bad as you say. The pull to go is still there tho.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Best road trip for me has to be the first Irmscher trip to Germany the club organised in 2007. Absolutely fantastic weather all weekend, first time apparently a UK club had been specifically invited by Irmscher, huuuge feature in Total Vauxhall and a whole lot of fun had by me hanging out of cars on the way back taking loads of tracking shots of peoples' cars!, of which quite a few were published in TV

Fantastic trip - one I'll never forget. Would've gone again on the 2008 one we organised back to Germany again, but a certain (now one year old) Cameron was due at exactly the time of the trip so was a bit of a no-no me sauntering off to Germany!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jillydabrat View Post
    I have always fancied a trip to Rome but heard it's as bad as you say. The pull to go is still there tho.

The wife and I spent almost 4 weeks last year driving down through France, through the Gotthard tunnel to Italy, staying at lots of places. Had 4 days in Venice, and Rome. Some of the scenery is amazing, we also managed to go over the Stelvio pass which is quite a visual experience, its only open certain times of the year as previously when in the area it was closed due to bad weather.
    Returning back alongside lake Garda (where they filmed part of the last bond movie) up into Switzerland and Austria and back into Germany.

The actual drive though Italy from France via the Gotthard is not that pretty, as the Italians tend to put most of their Industry on the side of the motorways, so for long distances all you ever seem to see is loads of factories all the time. We used the public transport and taxi's for getting around Rome, and because parking is expensive to get anywhere near Venice, the local buses from your hotel is the best bet, though they can tend to get a bit packed especially late afternoons or holiday times. We actually got off a couple of buses when we were trying to return to the hotel and paid the equivalent of £45 taxi fare.

It was a good trip, though Venice in particular can get packed with tourists, pretty much all the year, and parts of it was quite smelly..lol The wife wanted to see those places but I prefer the quieter area's which also tend to be far more scenic.

We have also driven down to Spain twice, (Once with a caravan on back) and thats quite a nice drive too, with mostly good fast roads.

Its okay if you like driving, which I do, but you also need quite a bit of cash, because it's certainly not the cheapest way to holiday, if you want to stay in some decent hotels that is.
    I was aged 66yr last year when we last drove to Italy, but frequently drive over to France as we have a Gite over there.
    If I can do it at my age anyone can, we love it!

Already had 3 x 1 week holidays this year, and on the 15th we go to the North of Inverness for 2 weeks and that wee trip alone will probably see roughly 2k miles go on the car. Depending on the weather..lol

Go do it! you are a long time dead matey!!
    Last edited by 67688c; 2nd May 2009 at 10:47.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron43 View Post
    The wife and I spent almost 4 weeks last year driving down through France, through the Gotthard tunnel to Italy, staying at lots of places. Had 4 days in Venice, and Rome. Some of the scenery is amazing, we also managed to go over the Stelvio pass which is quite a visual experience, its only open certain times of the year as previously when in the area it was closed due to bad weather.
    Returning back alongside lake Garda (where they filmed part of the last bond movie) up into Switzerland and Austria and back into Germany.
    That sounds like a perfect road trip! We went (flew) to Lake Garda a few years ago and when we were there I kept thinking how nice it would have been to have driven there! We'll definitely do something like that now Cameron is around - our Cameron, not you!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

either of the last 2 IRMSCHER run's for me..... driving around 1500 miles with a hand full of great mate's, great weather, great laugh and best of all get to spend some money on goodies for the car.....
    Midlands Mod Shop - NFFC.

Thread Information