Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default saynoto0870

I know BT customers do not have to pay for 0800 numbers now but those of you who are not with BT I have been using this thread for ages and it's saved me a fortune.

It's unknown, and of course they won't tell you, that, by law, all companies must provide a direct dialing number. Which they don't of course but if you go on this website and put the company name down or type in the 0800 or 0845 etc., number they provide, then it will give you the direct dial number.

Viola, no hefty phone charges for being kept on hold listening to elevator music Hope it's useful for you guys.

www.saynoto0870.com check it out

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, use it a lot myself to avoid being screwed for the privilege of ringing I company that I pay money to!

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Yep, use it a lot myself to avoid being screwed for the privilege of ringing I company that I pay money to!
    it's in my favourites so tend to check prior to a dialling any none 0800 # etc ........

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The case isn't always that you will get the correct number using that website. I know this for a fact, as people using it ring the phone on my desk when they actually need the 0845 number they are trying to avoid.

There are several reasons for companies and coucils using these numbers, and believe it or not, it's generally not about making any money. It's for equality, monitoring and performance.

Take Consumer Direct; based in Herts. Should Norfolk residents pay national phone rates and Herts pay local rates to call them? No because thats not fair and equal, so they use an 0845 number so the cost is the same as a local rate call for everyone - remember not everyone has a call plan with inclusive minutes and the majority of people don't use their mobile to ring.
    Also, in order to continue providing the service they do, they need to record all the data they can; how many calls, when the calls come in, where the calls come from and so on. The enables trend and patterns to be acted upon for staffing, opening hours, and to be proactive to the advantage of everyone.

Finally, call centres can operate several systems, but can only determine which service you actually need, and therefore be able to deal with you succinctly, if at all, by the number you have dialled.

You may sometimes save yourself a few pennies, but overall, it is often to your long-term disadvantage. The number of upset people ring, get me and then have to make another phone call costing them more money and more time beggars believe.

There is a system in place for a reason, and it's not for the one you think.

I hope that clears up any misconceptions. Use it at your own peril, it may cost your more to make the call, or worse, it may take up more of your own precious time. hth

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by BoroDave74 View Post
    The case isn't always that you will get the correct number using that website. I know this for a fact, as people using it ring the phone on my desk when they actually need the 0845 number they are trying to avoid.
    Very true, as I've also found - the numbers given aren't always correct, or current, but a lot are so it's a good starting point.

The whole 0845/0970 system as you say is for a reason and has it's advantages - both for the company and the customer. However what is inexcusable, and obviously the reason why that website was started, is the fact that companies can chose to add on extra cost to the 0870 numbers for people dialling it. i.e. the standard charge for ringing an 0870 number is x amount per minute (whatever it is - not sure off the top of my head). A company can have it so that cost is then x + y per minute, the y being what they then receive back from BT so people calling are then paying the company which they're ringing in the first place! - so on a call where you're being kept waiting for ages the extra cost soon racks up.

That's inexcusable and it's pretty disgusting that it's even allowed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

used to use the site, but now i have changed my phone package i dont pay for any land based calls, just pay for calls to mobiles

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by BoroDave74 View Post

There are several reasons for companies and coucils using these numbers, and believe it or not, it's generally not about making any money. It's for equality, monitoring and performance.

Take Consumer Direct; based in Herts. Should Norfolk residents pay national phone rates and Herts pay local rates to call them? No because thats not fair and equal, so they use an 0845 number so the cost is the same as a local rate call for everyone - remember not everyone has a call plan with inclusive minutes and the majority of people don't use their mobile to ring.
    Also, in order to continue providing the service they do, they need to record all the data they can; how many calls, when the calls come in, where the calls come from and so on. The enables trend and patterns to be acted upon for staffing, opening hours, and to be proactive to the advantage of everyone.

Finally, call centres can operate several systems, but can only determine which service you actually need, and therefore be able to deal with you succinctly, if at all, by the number you have dialled.

You may sometimes save yourself a few pennies, but overall, it is often to your long-term disadvantage. The number of upset people ring, get me and then have to make another phone call costing them more money and more time beggars believe.

There is a system in place for a reason, and it's not for the one you think.

I hope that clears up any misconceptions. Use it at your own peril, it may cost your more to make the call, or worse, it may take up more of your own precious time. hth
    Hi BoroDave74

Do you work for BT?

An 0845 number is just a profit making wrapper for an ordinary phone, so just because 'sayno' lists a wrong one doesn't make it bad just short of detail. If all phone contacts had an 0845 and the 'real' number people would have a choice on what to call (pay!) and the data you've been told is just so so important to monitor (hmm), could still be collected as the phone on your desk would still ring - 0845 is a rip-off for most people.

neilrj
    Last edited by neilrj; 1st May 2009 at 22:36. Reason: Line wrap

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

0845 isn't so bad as that's a local rate, it's 0870 that's the real rip-off as that's national rate plus the extra bit added on top for the company to benefit from.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by neilrj View Post
    Hi BoroDave74

Do you work for BT?

An 0845 number is just a profit making wrapper for an ordinary phone, so just because 'sayno' lists a wrong one doesn't make it bad just short of detail. If all phone contacts had an 0845 and the 'real' number people would have a choice on what to call (pay!) and the data you've been told is just so so important to monitor (hmm), could still be collected as the phone on your desk would still ring - 0845 is a rip-off for most people.

neilrj
    No, I don't work for BT, you are so wrong with your slapdash answer.
    1. 0845 is not for profit. It is cheaper for most of the country to dial 0845 than the area coded number - based on the fairest system that most people pay for most calls made and are made from a landline.
    2. sayno is like wiki. It is compiled and unverified. Despite my numerous emails, they have not updated their incorrect data.
    3. The whole idea of one number is that it is easier to recall. Publiscising multiple numbers confuses simple people who have difficulty grasping basic concepts - frequently the people who need most help from customer services, councils, government organsisations.
    4. The data is only collected from the 0845 number. I know how its used as I've been to the strategy meetings and I get my own reports. The data received enables dozens of councils to target their services much more efficiently. I don't know if you've noticed, but since the Hampton and Vanilla reports, Councils have been having to work a bit more like a private sector company. There are over three thousand area coded numbers in the building I work in.
    5. The 0845 number should ring 100 miles away in Hertfordshire. I deliver a completely different service and can be of no help, other than to give the 0845 number. Whilst people are ringing the wrong number, and taking up my time, I am not able to do what I should be doing. As I am paid for out of your money this should be ringing the most alarm bells. Your money is being wasted whilst you try to beat the system. There is a significant cost to both sides.
    5. saynoto0870 is the rip off as I have explained, costing you time and money.
    6. See Duncan's post re: additional costs and notice I am specifically talking about 0845 which is a very different rate. There are companies who add call costs to the number, stop ringing babestation or change the company you give your business to.

What this should show you is to check before you ring how much it will cost, just as you would with a premium rated phone call, and be aware that if you ring a different number to the one given to you to ring, you might not get the service you wanted, it might cost you more in time and money, and you have avoided the data collection that may one day change the service you use for the better.

Aren't these the sorts of questions you ask yourself as a consumer all the time? Or are you paranoid that these big bad companies are trying to make a profit from you personally, and so you are going to outsmart them?

If you want to save money, you could use the posted email address. Email addresses are given as free internet access and help is available from your local library - see point 1. Fairness.

I understand that people have a very funny idea about how businesses work, and that most people like to think the worst of anyone, it appears to be human nature these days; but consider the rationale, and how for hundreds of services paid for with your money an 08 number is the best solution until all phone calls are free for everybody.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good response - thanks for making it very clear. People should not believe everything that they read in the Daily Mail

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information