Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 1.8 VVT engine failure

Just thought I'd let you guys whats going on...

The car was brought brand new just over two years ago, and within a couple of months a just under 2k it was back at the dealership. We complained that the oil light to way tolong to extingish from cold, and that after a motorway run, when the engine dropped to tick over the oil light would breifly come on. Vauxhall changed the oil preasure sensor and told us to come back at 4,000 miles. They had overfilled the oil to stop the light coming on.

At 4k we phoned the dealership, asking to book it in again and they asked if it was any worse. We said no and they said bring it back if it gets worse, that was that.

We ourselves then changed the oil to a full synthetic 0-30w castrol edge, which helped the cold start problem but the oil light would still very ocassionaly briefly flicker when the engine was very hot off a motorway.

We lived with the problem on good faith that if anything went wrong vauxhall would fix it for us.

We have been very loyal to the vauxhall brand over the years, actually having 9 brand new vauxhalls in the last 10 years. We have five vauxhalls at the moment, two vectras on 56 and 58 plates, two corsas on 57 and 09 plates and a 53 reg frontera.

We continued to change the oil ourselves using the best oil and genuine parts believing it benifitted the engine more than vauxhalls equilvent fix of over filling the oil! It has been changed three times in 30,000miles and two years.

THe engine suddenly started to get worse very quicky, the oil light was coming on more and more, and the engine was now rattly, something it only did at start up before it now does all the time.

Now the oil light take around ten seconds to extingish from cold start, it comes on if it is left runnig on a hill and goes in and out of 'gimp' mode all the time. It is now sitting in the garage, unused becaus of the iminate failure.

Vauxhall never wanted to try and fix the engine as every dealler seemed to have little knowledge of the vvt mechanisium, insteed suggestting enigne replacement, but because we have missed one vauxhall service, they will not do it under warranty.

The top end is worn, vvt mechanisium is worn, compression is down.

We are now searching for another engine from a crashed car.

Lesson learned; car should have been rejected from new, do not rely on good faith as a loyal customer, and always let the dealership service it, even if you do so yourself afterwards.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear of your very poor experience with this dealer. Gone are the days of good faith I’m afraid it’s a case of reject until an issue is sorted & the more you have in writing the better. I feel your last paragraph says it all ...................

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Thats a bit bad! I'd be going mad with both VX and the dealers, Surely the cars history shows its had problems, and t seems that those are problems that the dealers aren't capable of repairing! I'd be pursuing it until they do the work under warranty..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

that does sound terminal for your motor, which is a pretty awful thing to be having to fork out for. i'm not defending them but Vauxhall have been hit by the credit crunch massively, understandably they are going to clamp down on 'goodwill' contributions being made outside of warranty, probably using any loop hole possible.

this does sound kinda familiar to a problem i have on my 1.8vvti, rattle from cold start just for a few seconds, oil light extinguishes anywhere between 7 to 10 seconds.

the dealer have aknowledged yes its rattles but it doesn't justify any further investigation, ie strip down, as it is.

that was the response 6 months or so ago, since then the rattle is noticeably louder but for no longer.

my intention is to pursue it again on its service next month....

I'm pretty sure other 1.8vvti owners here have experienced this rattle from cold start too - would be interesting to see what peoples experiences and Vauxhalls response has been .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sounds like a hydraulic tappets problem to me - i am aware of a similar reported problem on peugeot 1.6 engines and there initial response was to fill the vehicle with a better viscosity oil - the final resolution was replacement tappets from a different engine being slightly larger in size the problems disappeared - only 2 came back from having the modified tappets and they both resulted in new engines owing to low oil pressure

regarding the warranty issue there should be a clear line of reported complaints on your vehicle history with the dealership involved
    if they havent manage to resolve the matter then this clearly shows the matter reported to them and they have failed to resolve the issue - i would suggest that warranty/goodwill have some part to play in the matter
    hth

sorry mate

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Try another dealer. warranty work can be carried out by any, not just the one you purchased from. i have had done under warranty with no proof of service history from non-supplying dealer:

Replacement self dimming mirror glass
    Replacement drivers door module
    Replacement CD70
    Activation of heated rear seats
    Replacement fuel regulator
    Replacement high pressure fuel pump
    Re-Replacement fuel regulator.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Design View Post
    that does sound terminal for your motor, which is a pretty awful thing to be having to fork out for. i'm not defending them but Vauxhall have been hit by the credit crunch massively, understandably they are going to clamp down on 'goodwill' contributions being made outside of warranty, probably using any loop hole possible.

this does sound kinda familiar to a problem i have on my 1.8vvti, rattle from cold start just for a few seconds, oil light extinguishes anywhere between 7 to 10 seconds.

the dealer have aknowledged yes its rattles but it doesn't justify any further investigation, ie strip down, as it is.

that was the response 6 months or so ago, since then the rattle is noticeably louder but for no longer.

my intention is to pursue it again on its service next month....

I'm pretty sure other 1.8vvti owners here have experienced this rattle from cold start too - would be interesting to see what peoples experiences and Vauxhalls response has been .
    Sounds exactly like what I had. I'd go back and complain if I were you before its terminal.

Also I wonder if vauxhall watch this forum? This has been going on for a few months without reply, the day after i post this they ring?

Also it is not the dealer. They will do any work necessary but only if vauxhall agree to pay for it first! Thinks like mirrors etc are not normally service items so they are not to bothered if its been serviced or not.

Thanks anyway for the responce guys!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI hatch

Engine : z19dth

Year : 2006

Mileage : 110000

Quote Originally Posted by mucklestone View Post

Vauxhall never wanted to try and fix the engine as every dealler seemed to have little knowledge of the vvt mechanisium, insteed suggestting enigne replacement, but because we have missed one vauxhall service, they will not do it under warranty.
    Servicing does not have to be done by vauxhall to maintain warranty, this changed years ago. as long as you can show that the servicing was done in line with Vx specification using recommended grade oils and filters the warranty will still be valid. Have you kept receipts for the oils and filters? that and the fact that the problem was reported to the dealers straight away will form the basis of your case in small claims court if it needs it.

I would suggest speaking to the Citizen advice bureaux or consumer direct for advice on this. Then threaten legal action if you have a case.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as above, recent legislation has stopped dealerships ripping people off so easily and you ARE allowed to have your car serviced elsewhere just as long as it is to vauxhalls spec. This legally is not allowed to void any warranty.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mucklestone View Post

Also I wonder if vauxhall watch this forum? This has been going on for a few months without reply, the day after i post this they ring?
    Yes they do!

There was a situation a couple of months back which i won't go in to, but there was a snake in the grass! if you know what i mean!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information