0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 4-wheel alignment in NE England

Can anyone recommend a 4-wheel alignment centre here in the North East, ideally in Northumberland or around Newcastle? I'm know that Revolution in Gateshead provides alignment services using the DSP600 but haven't seen any feedback.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you get this info from www.alignmycar.co.uk ? Alignmycar don't recommend dealers - they just give a list of garages that have their equipment installed (it's in the very small print) so you're then in the hands of the operator/muppet. Do a search on here for "hunter" or "global" to give you an insight.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your tips GTR1000. I've noticed your helpful cautions to other posters so I'm asking for recommendations and any feedback from others who have used Revolution.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revolution are great for aliglment, they have all the latest equipment but they will charge a hefty price. Ats done mine for £25 and it was spot on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyrespot in Sandy Lane Gosforth do four wheel laser alignment. Good, but its about 50 quid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips Idobigmis and Tridley. You're right about Revolution, they're advertising free check, £30 for front wheel alignment, £60 for 4-wheel alignment and £100 for all adjustments - plus VAT. A bit pricey, but is this the going rate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sledhoe View Post
    Thanks for the tips Idobigmis and Tridley. You're right about Revolution, they're advertising free check, £30 for front wheel alignment, £60 for 4-wheel alignment and £100 for all adjustments - plus VAT. A bit pricey, but is this the going rate?
    The £100 for a full set up is very expensive IMO. Had my full global geometry (primary & secondary) check done for £70 + VAT at Wheels in Motion by the best bloke in the business. See what they did here http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/tec...ignsystems.php

Note that from my link above, only 2 angles are measured in a four wheel alignment check.

Even so, if you do have to pay £100, it'll be money well spent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using the locator system from alignmycar linked to from Hunter's UK distributor pro-align, it seems there are 3 'local' outfits with Hunter's alignment system capabilities - I know that's not a recommendation, just a list.

So after ringing each of them to check capabilities and pricing all confirmed capabilities ranging from tracking to full geometry checking and adjusting. Revolution and Aston (a bodyshop) were similar for the full works at £120 and £130 + VAT respectively. ADW (also a bodyshop) would charge £60 + VAT and insisted this was for a full geometry check and alignment which was the same price the other two quoted for a 4-wheel alignment. The two bodyshops would fit the car in as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday next week while Revolution would take 2 or more weeks before any time was available on their machine as it was booked up with mostly 'road track boys' getting things checked ready for the race season.

Despite the wait I feel comfortable with Revolution for no other reason than popularity.

Gitr1000's link to Wheels in Motion's nice explanation of what each level of checking performs is very impressive, thanks for that, and for a sanity check (mostly on the pricing) I rang them and asked what would be required on my 2005 Vectra sri Estate. The guy I spoke to (didn't get his name) said all that was needed was a 4-wheel alignment since the Vectra only has rear-wheel toe-in adjustment and no camber adjustments. They'd charge £60 + VAT for that.

That's all a bit confusing but cleared up by Chris at pro-align who confirmed that the Hunter system lists the type of car as definately having a rear toe-in adjustment but it might be fitted with a kit that replaces a normal bolt with a cam-bolt to provide camber adjustment. In either case their system has the recommended settings.

So all three offering Hunter alignment systems (and Wheels in Motion) are similarly priced at £60 + VAT, not a million miles from Tridley's experience at Tyrespot.

Either way I'm happy going to Revolution for a 4-wheel or full geometry adjustment.

In a way I'm wondering whether it will be money well spent. In September 2007 I had a full set of 215/50R17 NCT5s from Kwikfit on their 25% off deals at 34900 mileage (despite everything mentioned on here regarding NCT5s). They adjusted the front tracking in an attempt to cure pulling to the left. After a couple of visits the car still pulled to the left, only less slightly than before, and the steering wheel was left in a right-hand down position. Last week the tyres were changed to Bridgestone ER300 215/50R17, also on a Kwikfit 25% off deal, at a mileage reading of 59800. 24900 miles on a set of NCT5s, who'd have thought it? I'd read on here about changing to 225/45s for more choice and lower cost but decided I didn't want the car lowering, even if only slightly, because the front skirt already scuffs the road on some routes to the extent that it sometimes detaches from the bumper. But the pulling to the left is still there and the steering wheel annoyingly isn't properly aligned. That's why I've been considering more than just front wheel tracking.

Thanks to everyone, you've helped with your replies, and thanks to Vectra-C.com for a really helpful resource.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sledhoe View Post
    The guy I spoke to (didn't get his name) said all that was needed was a 4-wheel alignment since the Vectra only has rear-wheel toe-in adjustment and no camber adjustments.
    Strange comment for WIM to make as it was the rear camber angles that were out on my 02 GSi and were adjusted accordingly.

Glad you're sorted, let us know the outcome Pete.

Thread Information