User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Signum 2.2 Fuel System Problems (many)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Signum 2.2 Fuel System Problems (many)

Evening all. Looking for a bit of assistance.

Have a 03 2.2 Signum Direct with I think the Y22ZH engine. In september last year (about 32k miles) engine management came on and power loss, no limp home mode. Took to dealers and high pressure fuel regulator was diagnosed as faulty and replaced for I think around £200. Everthing worked fine for about 2000 miles and engine management light came on again in Feb. Took to dealers, no code stored. Did it again a week later, took in again and again HPFR failure, replaced under warranty and labour. Everything fine, but after a bit of digging around found it wasn't an uncommon fault and that there were many failures of it. Not surprised by the Watchdog programme and that other people suffering similar failure. In my opinion, VX should replace all these free of charge as they admitted on the programme they didn't know how to fix the fault.

Anyway, everything fine till about a month ago and the front nearside suspension spring broke, forking out another couple of hundred quid for replacing the front pair. Examined the coil spring, manufacture fault wihtout a doubt as you can see how the metal was temperred incorrectly.

Last week, EML came back on again. Took to vx, swirl flaps stuck open. £800+ quid to repair! Not happy, raised a complaint but VX main office will not contribute. Argued with them down the phone, still not budging, out of 6 years and they cannot guarantee how long parts will last. I think a fuel system and suspension system shouyld last more than 40,000 miles, and I know the law certainly says that all goods must be what a reasonable person would expect them to last. Anyway, forked out and taking forward with VX through outside claim, but low and behold took the car out this afternoon for a test drive to make sure everything working, and what happens, the EML has come on again, and has the same diagnosis as I had last week, comes on when pulling away in gear on clutch with no accelarator used. Going to take it back in tomorrow, and going to have them have another look at it. Wonder what will go wrong this time.

Was wondering if other people are having similar problems, and how many faults of these parts there have been. VX are very reluctant to give this information and I am seriously considering
    1) taking legal action against reclaiming costs as I believe this breaches sales of goods act
    2) making this very public, and hopefully embarrasing, for VX
    3) Having a chat with VOSA, as I believe the suspension failure and the HPFR are safety faults.

Be keen to hear other people's coments on this.

(also, clamps on the exhaust downpipe had corroded by 30k miles. £500 to replace downpipe for a 15quid bracket! Anyone else had this?)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Alot of people are having these problems you should not have to worries that everytime you drive your car this might happen.

I agree these things should just be replaced

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

further to this they now tell me the fuel pump in the tank is disintegrating and has comtaminated the fuel, causing low fuel pressure. I think this may have been the problem all the time, causing problmes with the HPFR and low power. another 500 quid to fork out!

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by knocker View Post
    Evening all. Looking for a bit of assistance.

Have a 03 2.2 Signum Direct with I think the Y22ZH engine. In september last year (about 32k miles) engine management came on and power loss, no limp home mode. Took to dealers and high pressure fuel regulator was diagnosed as faulty and replaced for I think around £200. Everthing worked fine for about 2000 miles and engine management light came on again in Feb. Took to dealers, no code stored. Did it again a week later, took in again and again HPFR failure, replaced under warranty and labour. Everything fine, but after a bit of digging around found it wasn't an uncommon fault and that there were many failures of it. Not surprised by the Watchdog programme and that other people suffering similar failure. In my opinion, VX should replace all these free of charge as they admitted on the programme they didn't know how to fix the fault.

Anyway, everything fine till about a month ago and the front nearside suspension spring broke, forking out another couple of hundred quid for replacing the front pair. Examined the coil spring, manufacture fault wihtout a doubt as you can see how the metal was temperred incorrectly.

Last week, EML came back on again. Took to vx, swirl flaps stuck open. £800+ quid to repair! Not happy, raised a complaint but VX main office will not contribute. Argued with them down the phone, still not budging, out of 6 years and they cannot guarantee how long parts will last. I think a fuel system and suspension system shouyld last more than 40,000 miles, and I know the law certainly says that all goods must be what a reasonable person would expect them to last. Anyway, forked out and taking forward with VX through outside claim, but low and behold took the car out this afternoon for a test drive to make sure everything working, and what happens, the EML has come on again, and has the same diagnosis as I had last week, comes on when pulling away in gear on clutch with no accelarator used. Going to take it back in tomorrow, and going to have them have another look at it. Wonder what will go wrong this time.

Was wondering if other people are having similar problems, and how many faults of these parts there have been. VX are very reluctant to give this information and I am seriously considering
    1) taking legal action against reclaiming costs as I believe this breaches sales of goods act
    2) making this very public, and hopefully embarrasing, for VX
    3) Having a chat with VOSA, as I believe the suspension failure and the HPFR are safety faults.

Be keen to hear other people's coments on this.

(also, clamps on the exhaust downpipe had corroded by 30k miles. £500 to replace downpipe for a 15quid bracket! Anyone else had this?)
    Not what you want to hear but there was a recall on an exhaust clamp as I had mine done just a couple of weeks back. Sorry to hear you have continued problems, let’s hope there is positive news for you tomorrow ......

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Mine is at the stealers now.

Last October it failed on me (20K miles). Conked out, wouldn't start, then when it did, it was in limp mode. luckily was just leaving home so parked on drive and VX collected and repaired - Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Yesterday, died in Manchester City Centre in rush hour traffic. Wouldn't restart, so had to push to side of road. Still wouldn't start, so phoned AA. When he turned up, it fired immediately! was gutted. Had already phoned the stealers in Bury, so he said he would follow me there. Within 300 yards EML on!

Stealers diagnosed Fuel Pump, so serviced the car (almost at 40K now) and replaced the pump. On test drive today it was fine and EML came on as they returned to the garage. New diagnosis, Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Hopefully get the car back tomorrow.

Had the car since June last year, when it had just 12K miles on it. Runs great, and I really enjoy driving it, but a bit miffed with the problems, and disappointed it has needed rear pads after 40K miles. My last car, prefacelift Hatch, did 90K before it needed anything doing on the brakes!

They don't make them like they used to!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Check out Sale of goods act 1979 as amended ....draft a letter using info form the act and consumer direct..detail your problems and send recorded to Head Office and where you got your car from...make sure you keep a copy...I had huge problems with my last car 406...the car kept cutting out when driving etc...I ended up paying £250 on a £900 bill...took time but was worth it in the end....and end your letter with 14 days to respond...
    Good luck

Thread Information