User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct oil for Z18XE engine

Bobtroll

Default Correct oil for Z18XE engine

I travel less than 8,000 miles per annum in my Vectra Estate, which I purchased in May 2006. Although this is relatively low mileage, there are very few short stop/start journeys and many of my runs involve around 150 miles of non-stop motorway driving at speeds of up to 70 mph.

For the first two annual services, the local VX dealer used Vauxhall branded super synthetic oil, which conforms to the GM-LL-A-025 specification. I have little doubt that Vauxhall branded oils are manufactured by one of the major oil companies, so I am not too concerned about the brand name - as long as the oil conforms to the recommended GM-LL-A-025 specification.

I used a different VX dealer for the third annual service - and I instructed the garage to use fully synthetic Vauxhall branded oil. When I collected the car, the workshop had stamped my service book “Long Life Oil Used”. The invoice included £42.29 + VAT for 4.25 Litres of “Shell Helix Plus AG 5W-30 fully synthetic oil”.

The Lube Match tool on the Shell website at www.shell.co.uk/home/page/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/oils_lubricants/app_lubematch.html does recommend Shell Helix Plus AG 5W-30 for this particular engine. However, the Shell website also states that the Helix Plus range is “Semi-synthetic oil that is suitable for use in fuel injected, turbocharged, naturally aspirated and multivalve passenger car engines”.

Another page on the Shell website provides details of the Helix Ultra range, which is “fully synthetic motor oil that is ideal for modern and sports cars with engines that run faster and hotter in order to achieve maximum power, fuel economy and reduced emissions.” The Shell website also states that Shell Helix Ultra AG 5W-30 is specifically formulated for Vauxhall/Opel.

I have been unable to find a detailed specification for the Shell Helix Plus AG 5W-30 oil - but a page at www.oilsandlubricants.co.uk/shop/show_category.php?category_id=25&dept_id=1 merely states “Technical description available soon”.

I am concerned that Helix Ultra AG 5W-30 would have been the more appropriate oil from the Shell range. Consequently, I should be grateful if someone could advise me whether the similarly named "Helix Plus" oil is semi-synthetic or fully synthetic - and whether the VX dealer has used the correct oil for my engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Helix Plus doesn't sound like the correct oil. That said I wouldn't worry too much unless you're running a full 30,000/2yr interval. If you're changing annually or at lower miles, then a good semi-syn like the Helix Plus is probably fine. The Z18XE isn't as particular about the oil used as it's a pretty basic, low power engine. If it was a 2.8V6T or 2.0T I'd be more concerned.

Most dealers put the totally wrong semi-synthetic 10W40 in, and people never know the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by _ZS_ View Post
    Helix Plus doesn't sound like the correct oil. That said I wouldn't worry too much unless you're running a full 30,000/2yr interval. If you're changing annually or at lower miles, then a good semi-syn like the Helix Plus is probably fine. The Z18XE isn't as particular about the oil used as it's a pretty basic, low power engine. If it was a 2.8V6T or 2.0T I'd be more concerned.

Most dealers put the totally wrong semi-synthetic 10W40 in, and people never know the difference.
    The amount of dealers that do this is ridiculous.
    I'd settle for no less than 5w30 fully synth, or 5w40 fully synth when i get mine changed. (SRI 1.9 CDTI 150).

Having said that, it wont do you much harm as your mileage is minimal.

It wont beat a garage i used to go to, where when i asked what oil they had used i was told 15w 40, semi synth. I hit the roof and made them change it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmm..15W40 semi-synth is what I use in the Perkins AD3.152 engine on my 1969 Massey-Ferguson.

Bobtroll

Default Helix Plus AG 5W-30 is the new name for Shell Helix Ultra AG 5W-30

Thank you to everyone who responded. In addition to this thread, I contacted Shell Oils for their advice. I have now received their response:
    The Helix Plus AG 5W-30 is the correct oil for your vehicle and meets the required GM Vauxhall specification GM-LL-A025.

The Helix Ultra AG 5W-30 product no longer exists and was re-branded as Helix Plus AG 5W-30, to make room for another GM product on our portfolio to meet the requirements for their new specifications GEOS A & B. It is exactly the same product as previously i.e Helix Plus AG 5W-30 and Helix Ultra AG 5W-30 are one and the same product.

Typically Helix Plus products are semi-synthetic, and Helix Ultra products are fully synthetic, but in this instance for the re-position reasons as explained above, Helix Plus AG 5W-30 is Fully synthetic.

To summarise, the key elements for you are
    (i) It is the correct product for your vehicle
    (ii) It is approved to GM-LL-A-025
    (iii) The product is fully synthetic.
    That seems to resolve the doubts I had regarding the suitability of this particular Shell product.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

10W-40 is not "totally wrong" indeed it could be argued that a '40' is better than a '30' under hotter conditions or prolonged hard use,and the '10' is only inferior to the '5' if you happen to live in somewhere like Sweden or Finland.

The newer '0' and '5' designated oils are 'economy' related and help (very slightly) to decrease fuel consumption and are in some ways actually inferior to the '10' and '15' oils.
    Last edited by diesel dog; 24th April 2009 at 17:39.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I should also point out that most 'fully-synthetic' oils are not actually 'fully-synthetic' at all,and only need to contain a minimum amount of certain chemicals to be classified as such.If they don't contain that amount (even by less than 1% !) then they are classed as semi-synthetics.Most 'synthetics' are still made from the stuff that comes out of the ground LOL

Only the really expensive (Some Mobil and Amsol products for example) 'synthetics' are true 100% synthetics.
    Last edited by diesel dog; 24th April 2009 at 18:03.

8. Likes LewisMHarold liked this post
    On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by barkzz View Post

It wont beat a garage i used to go to, where when i asked what oil they had used i was told 15w 40, semi synth. I hit the roof and made them change it!
    Owners of older BMW M5's for example will run their cars quite happily on 15w-40,10w-40,15w-50 and even 10w-60 !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Some dealers will gladly SELL you the right oil ,(if they are capable of recognising it), but avoid using it when servicing your car and believe that all Vauxhall car owners are ignorant of such things. God Bless Car Forums.
    Last edited by john_k_sri; 24th April 2009 at 18:29. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmm..15W40 semi-synth is what I use in the Perkins AD3.152 engine on my 1969 Massey-Ferguson.
    Hahaha quality!!!

As you can imagine i was none too happy, and proceeded to point out what a bunch of thick *******s they were for doing what they had done.

I refused to accept it back until they changed it, cahnged the oil filter, and re-did the O-rings.

Fools!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information