Thread: Novice....need a little assistance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Novice....need a little assistance

Firstly hello all and welcome to one of my first posts.

Just in need of a little help as I own a 2.0 dti with 87,000 miles on the clock and I am a complete novice butam keen to learn and this forum looks like the place to start.

1) I think the How2 section is great and have found some great tips and hints on there, am I confident I dont know yet. But anyway I would like to start servicing my vehicle what are the best parts to get e.g type of oil, air filter etc for a full service by myself, dont know if its possible and what parts are needed???

2) Car takes a while to start in morning before beginning to smoke for a few seconds then seems to run okay. Does seem a little sluggish in lower gears as well as sounding like a taxi (I hope that makes sense the taxi part) I have viewed several posts and cometo the conclusion my piston seals need replacing does this sound right??? and any tips for making car pick up better and run smoother, seen the how 2 on egr valve cleaning and might attempt that, would that make a difference??

3) Any other tips would be great and may I thank you for this great site everything I have learnt has been on this site and done in a short space of time so thanks

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And what does a taxi sound like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    And what does a taxi sound like
    Go outside and start ur engine to find out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Pecojess View Post
    Go outside and start ur engine to find out
    Why didnt I think of that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Hey buddy, nice to see someone willing to have a go at it themselves its really rewarding and a good way to save cash.

As for your questions
    1) Go to your local dealer and buy, an oil filter, oil, air filter. These are your basic service parts. If you want to spend a bit more you can buy a pollen filter and there are probably a few thing i am missing but the first three are your basic service items. It would be a good idea to replace the diesel filter but if you are a complete novice i would take it to a garage to have this done as problems with bleeding the system can arrise.
    A bottle of injector cleaner to put into the diesel tank (redex, forte, millers)
    Also when changing the oil filter you will need a 36mm socket to remove the cartridge cover

2) I am not sure which piston seals you are thinking of but if its piston rings you'd be having serious problems. The bad starting sounds like there is a dud glow plug and i take it after the car is heated up all is ok when starting again.
    As for feeling sluggish this may change quite a bit once you have serviced the car. A clogged up air filter will starve the engine of air causing it to be sluggish. I have the 2.2dti and even when running fine it won't set the road on fire but it isn't that bad.
    Re: sounding like a taxi the dti's aren't the quietest of diesels but an oil change will quieten it down a bit.

3) I won't go into detail here but when you do the air filter do the "air box mod" while you are at it it will improve air flow.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've viewed the air box mod is it something a novice could handle?? Also sorry viewing the posts again its not the piston seals or rings its the injector seal, thats what I have narrowed it down to from posts on this site.

From looking at service history these seals have never been replaced and car is just over 87,000 would this make sense for it to be these or have I got it wrong???

Thanks again, the help is much appreciated before this forum I could just about change the water for the window screen jets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Mine has 84000 on the clock and as far as i know the seals have never been replaced. Try giving it a service and see if that cures it.
    The air box mod is one of the easiest things you can do bud. You'll be in the air box when you do the air filter anyway. All you have to do is pull the bit off the inlet pipe inside the box and throw it away

Thread Information