Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Sat Nav

How many people on the site have experience of Sat Nav systems.

I am looking to buy such a system, but you some times hear that they are not reliable and often "lead you astray" is this the feeling of the site guys and gals?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No mine is very helpful aslong as you use a bit of common sense aswell, ie it will occassionally tell you to turn down a 1 way street, but just don't, it will soon re-calculate. Obviously if you are in an unfamiliar area you are reliant upon it to lead you tot he right place, and in the whole mine does this job very well. Its only been rare incidents that you hear of with them dropping ********.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have TomTom (v5) and have been using it since v2. Of course there are errors in any SatNav system, either with the mapping (not as up to date as we'd like) or errors in the way the software plans the route. But overall I think it's fantastic.

But, TBH, I've never been 'led astray' on any journeys. It may take you a longer route as it thinks it's the quickest route (based on road speeds) but it's never got me lost. Without it I'd definitely have got lost in places. I've had the odd occasion where it's wanted to take me the wrong way down a one-way street but you realise that, ignore it and it'll quickly replan as you drive along.

I think the same will apply to NavMan and any other SatNav out there. There will be the odd error, but nothing that you can't see for yourself or recover from very quickly. The really cheap systems 'may' have more errors, and usually aren't as refined in their direction giving (AFAIK).

Put it this way, for the odd error that I have come across, I wouldn't be without it. It's a god send for me for what I do!

HTH

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

We have a tom tom and it is very good, but yes it does try to send you down a one way street, it has with me, but I have found it to be very accurate so far, mind you I dare say they are only as accurate as their last up date,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have used a tom tom in the past that I borrowed from my dad and I reckon it takes some beating.
    But I have just been out and bought a Garmin i3 its half the price and just for a leisure user I'm finding it very accurate its bang up to date and I've also put the speed camera database on it.
    Think its a case of how much you can justify spending to how much you use it, if I was on the road everyday I would go for the tom tom no doubt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I use Si-nav myself. A cheap road map, a street level print-out from the internet and a vague sense of direction. Usually get to where I want to go for without the expense of these electronic gizmos and the annoyance of little oiks looking to steal it while you're away from the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ive got tomtom on my nokia phone which is ideal as you just take the phone and the little bluetooth receiver with you when you leave the car.and with no trace of it ever being there.
    as for reliability its let me down twice in 3yrs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I use Tom Tom version 3 will be upgrading to either V5 or a TomTom One when the pennies allow.

My experience is that I will not be without it. Not only does it reduce the stress of finding places, but with the speed camera add on from www.pocketgpsworld.com I know where all camera locations are and hence don't get flashed.

I'm doing about 3k a month and I wouldn't be without it now...

Get it you will not be sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have the tomtom go500 and think its superb. I mainly use it when going on long journeys though, or when I'm on call with the breakdown van. It certainly saves me a lot of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Geoshaw
    I have the tomtom go500 and think its superb. I mainly use it when going on long journeys though, or when I'm on call with the breakdown van. It certainly saves me a lot of time.
    I'm about 3 miles from you....small world eh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information