Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Beading....

This may have been discussed before but i've never seen a thread on it.

I'm wondering what people's opinions are of water beads on your car. I know it's a sign of a nicely waxed / cleaned car but am i the only one hates seeing water "sheet" off dirty cars whilst mine is left with millions of beads and eventually water marks?

historically its always been known that beading was good, but i've seen a few presentations now which show that the actual water beads act as tiny lenses and the suns rays actually damage the surface of paint - whether this is a load of old tosh or not is questionable, but purely from an aesthetically pleasing point of view surely you'd rather see rain drops sheet off your car rather than settle on the bonnet, roff, front and rear screens??

it's easy enough to get the water to sheet off as you're washing the car but as i said, its the rain drops that are a pain. i saw a sales pitch where some guy was using a watering can on a bonnet, one with wax and the other with this "fantastic new product" and the water literally just fell off the non waxed sized. i rarely belive these presentations, but its got me thinking nonetheless.

what are your thoughts?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, I see what you mean. But, and there's always a but, a properly cleaned, polished, sealed and waxed paintwork, will withstand a lot of air deposit/pollution abuse, as opposed to a non-(full-monty) version.

A nicely beaded paintwork actually holds less water than a s**t one. On the s**t one a thin veil of water clings onto the paintwork. The beads will the theoretically run off or dry up and the protection underneath shouldn't alllow any water spots to form or they will be that tiny, that you won't notice.

Don't let it put you off polishing, sealing and waxing though. I don't want to be the only one suffering !!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

a wax or synthetic sealent is not just there to just protect your car from water. In all honesty, the paint is waterproof anyway so your not really adding anything in this respect than non waxed car does.

What you are doing is laying a film of protection against ultra voilet rays that will bleach your paint, toxins that will stain it, tree sap and road film that eat away it the clear coat etc.

Waxing a car is about long term protection, not just about making it look shiny for a car show.

The demo car could easily acheive the sheeting effect with a simple water repellent added to the water or used de-ionised water like used in the flash guns for spotless drying. But i'd like to see the same panel left out in the baking sun for 6 months compared to a sealed and waxed sample.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

most decent polish these days have UV protectors in them..so shouldnt be a problem to bleaching paintwork..as above, the polish and wax are adding 'layers' of protection to the original paint anyway..

Thread Information