Thread: Turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Turbos

Was thinking about getting the 2.0T SRI for the missus, but all this talk about letting warm up / cool down slowly is putting me off as I can't see her driving like that. Does this also apply to the diesel turbo models?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its all to do with carbon build-up ....... dont think it'll make that much difference although every little helps

Watch the truck pull on youtube --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjGfVxXov1E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Fit a turbo timer and problem solved. Jump straight out, lock the doors and the engine will switch itself off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Or she will just have to live with the 2.2, problem also solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

As long as the engine idles for a few seconds before and after journeys you will be OK.

Before is to allow oil into the turbo core
    and after is to allow the turbo to spin down and cool a little before there is no oil pressure left

Change oil as per schedule and all should be OK

I really cannot say that there is any real need to allow for shutdown idle for more than 10 seconds. if there was a real need, VX would fit a timer as standard. Or write it into the engine calibration

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It applies to all turbos. You just need to apply a bit of 'care' to them to prolong the life of the turbo.

It's not a big deal TBH. When you set off, you just need to warm up the engine (oil) before you start booting it and giving it some welly. If you/the wife is going on a 'normal' drive it'll warm up in due course.

For the cooling down, the manual simply states...

Vehicles with engine Z 20 NET

After running at high engine speeds or high engine loads, operate the engine briefly at a low load or run in neutral for approx. 30 seconds before switching off in order to protect the turbocharger.

If I've been on a 'very spirited' drive, I'll drive around for a good few minutes at the end to let it cool down a bit - just because I want to ensure it has a proper 'spin down'. Basically, what you don't want to do is drive it hard all the way somewhere, park up and turn off the engine.

If you drive it hard without letting it warm up or cool down properly, you'll shorten the life of the turbo. But, it's not a chore or a bind - just a little something extra you need to make sure you do.

And as with any turbo engine, make sure you change the oil regularly as this is what is cooling/lubricating the turbo. I change mine half-way through the year, or at 10,000 miles - whichever is sooner - then let the dealer change it again at the service.

HTH

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

maybe i do this inadvertently, but i never consciously allow the turbo to warm up or down, the car (water) takes long enough to get to operating temperature, usually the 2/3 of the distance of my work commute 8-10 miles so waiting for the oil to warm up before utilising the turbo is just impossible.

Surely the units are built to cope with worse conditions than we have so i don;t see why it should a problem to just turn the engine off without "properly" cooling the turbo or allowing the oil to get to operating temperature.

Maybe i'm just hoping that this is the case????

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This excerpt from www.turbotechnics.com (they really know their stuff) sums it up quite well....

Useful tips when driving any turbocharged engine, whether it be petrol or diesel, are to always allow the engine to warm-up fully, until the water temperature gauge reaches normal, before full throttle is used. Try to plan the end of your journey sympathetically. Don’t use full throttle or allow the engine to labour during the last few miles. This will prevent excessive heat build-up within the turbo when the engine is turned off. Also, when coming to a standstill, try to leave the engine idling for a few extra seconds to allow the heat to decrease. Never rev the engine just as the ignition is turned off. Remember the turbo spins at a far greater speed then the engine, but is lubricated with engine oil. Once the engine stops the oil supply ceases. In reality, none of the above traits will cause a turbocharger to fail immediately, but repeatedly over a long period, they could reduce the life of your turbocharger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Duly noted - will have to be more considerate to the turbo from here on.

On a side note - aren't the engines restricted from cold anyway or is that simply because it's cold?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Engine boost is restricted from cold anyway but always good to be on the safe side.

I have to drop to 30mph max on the last 2 miles of my drive home and into work so this is more than adequate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information