Thread: Young Drivers Car Insurance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Young Drivers Car Insurance

I would appreciate hearing some stories from youselves about when you passed your test and how you went about insuring a car.

How is a 17 year old supposed to get insured after they have passed there test.

Heres a couple of quotes, for a 17 year old 3rd party fire and theft on the streets of Liverpool.

-2001 1.0l ford ka - £4480
    -2003 1.2l ford fiesta lx - £5120
    -2005 1.9 vauxhall vectra elite (just for a laugh) £24,220 (only one company quoted)

For a 17 year old to go as a second driver on a 2005 vectra elite 1.9 - £3920

All of these qoutes are from comparison sites.

How did you insure yourself when you passed your test, and is there any useful tips you could recomend!

Many Thanks Guys !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thats just ridiculus, how many 17 yr olds have that much money to spend on insurance? I didnt when i passed my test. My first insurance was £1400 for a 51 plate 1.2 Clio. Just as long as hes sensible and builds up some NCB it should go down by the time hes 21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Passed my test had a brief ownership of a metro i rolled over a few times through my mums insurance.

Then jumped into a company car and didnt have to worry about insurance for over 10years.

The vectra elite sounds good, just over 2k a month

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

to start with my dad insured my car for any driver, dunno if you can still do that nowadays

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by gibbon7000 View Post
    to start with my dad insured my car for any driver, dunno if you can still do that nowadays
    I think ya still can, my dad (50 yrs old) has insurance to drive anything 3rd party. I thought i would when i turned 21 but turns out its 25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i had my neighbour be the first named driver on my lil fiesta M reg 1.4si. and then me as second driver!
    and that was 1200!!

my insureance now tho is still £1600 for the vec with 1yrs no claims.. as i have always been on someone else's inurance i've never been able to claim NCB!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My brother bought a little fiesta van to run around in to get a years insurance, the van was less than half the insurance of a fiesta car ! This was about 6 years ago though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Hatch

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2006

Mileage : 68000

hello chap,

i'm now 18 with 1 year no claims.

I first insured myself on a 1.4 multipoint J reg astra mk3 with an irish company called Quinn Direct, Cheapest by MILES!!! The said with a provisional license It was £800. Not a problem, fairly good in my eyes. However..... I passed my test within 2 months and phoned them and told them I had passed and now have a full license. They expeced me to coff up £400 within 10 working days as I now have to make my own descisions etc on the road which basically bought my insurance up to £1200.

A year later I have a years no claims under my belt and the renewal premium came through at £800. So the extra money I paid I saved the next year.

A couple of months after my renewal I changed my car to a 1.8 Diesel Pug 205, purely for the economy and they charged me in the region of £60 to transfer. Now, going from a 1.4 to a 1.8 for £60 seemed brilliant!!

TODAY (7/4/09) I got a quote on a vectra as I hope to get one around september time (remembering i'm still 18) I couldnt get insured on anything apart from up to the 110hp mark. anything over that in power apparently I have to be 21 for this specific company. So the pre facelift 2litre DTI at 100hp is a superb choice for me. I phoned up Quinn Direct and gave them a registration I found on autotrader of a 2litre DTI Estate 53reg vec pre facelift with a value of £3000 for th car. She quoted me around £60 to transfer from my Pug 205 to this vectra. I cannont grumble with that at all!

So yeah, try Quinn Direct. And, phoning up always gets cheaper quotes by miles!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

fiats are the lowest insurance group, probably because they are worth rock all when i insured my very first car it was a it was a 1982 mazda 323, i paid £150 for the car and it cost me £783 to insure third party fire and theft. but that was 16 yrs ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Teamtom View Post
    hello chap,

i'm now 18 with 1 year no claims.

I first insured myself on a 1.4 multipoint J reg astra mk3 with an irish company called Quinn Direct, Cheapest by MILES!!! The said with a provisional license It was £800. Not a problem, fairly good in my eyes. However..... I passed my test within 2 months and phoned them and told them I had passed and now have a full license. They expeced me to coff up £400 within 10 working days as I now have to make my own descisions etc on the road which basically bought my insurance up to £1200.

A year later I have a years no claims under my belt and the renewal premium came through at £800. So the extra money I paid I saved the next year.

A couple of months after my renewal I changed my car to a 1.8 Diesel Pug 205, purely for the economy and they charged me in the region of £60 to transfer. Now, going from a 1.4 to a 1.8 for £60 seemed brilliant!!

TODAY (7/4/09) I got a quote on a vectra as I hope to get one around september time (remembering i'm still 18) I couldnt get insured on anything apart from up to the 110hp mark. anything over that in power apparently I have to be 21 for this specific company. So the pre facelift 2litre DTI at 100hp is a superb choice for me. I phoned up Quinn Direct and gave them a registration I found on autotrader of a 2litre DTI Estate 53reg vec pre facelift with a value of £3000 for th car. She quoted me around £60 to transfer from my Pug 205 to this vectra. I cannont grumble with that at all!

So yeah, try Quinn Direct. And, phoning up always gets cheaper quotes by miles!!!
    Tom, thats really good of you to give such a detailed explanation of what youve done... i really apprciate that, and also to what everyone else has put in.

Ill try ringing around as i belive over the phone is cheaper.

If anyone else has any stories or advise.... i really would appreciate it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information