i have refurbed 2 of my alloys myself now (2 more to go), i didnt bother doing a full how2 as i actually forgot to takr proper step by step pics and 2 its relativly simple anyway so heres the pics i have taken.

so what i done was.... cleaned the wheels with soapy water, then rubbed them down to get rid of the original lacquer and all the stuck on brake dust and such like, i then filled all the dents and uneven bits of the alloy mostly around the rim due to kurbing. I then rubbed this back until smooth.Then masking taped the tyre.
Then i primed the wheel with 3 layers of primer with gentle rubbing inbewteen coats with 1200 grit wet & dry.

After this i put on 3 layers of remembarant silver from halfords (vauxhall colour) again with gentle rubbing inbetween coats except the final coat.

Then to add more depth and to get a bit of a metallic look i used some blue metal flake that comes mixed in a can with clear lacquer i only used one really light coat of this as i didnt want really glittery wheels.
Then after lightly rubbing that to get rid of any loose flakes i put on 4 coats of lacquer with light rubbing in between except on final coat ( if anyone else is going to do this i would advise on more coats of lacquer as they have not come out as shiney as i would have liked)

Then i put it back on car. They are 10 ten times better then they were and i am happy with how they have come out.