User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I would REALLY appreciate any useful comments please...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default I would REALLY appreciate any useful comments please...

Hi all.... Mine is a 55 plate cdti (150) which has just this week flashed up the dreaded p1109 code (Swirl valve actuator).

Been to the local stealers to get investigated as I thought that the EML was for the EGR valve (I have already had two in the 15 months that I have owned the car so I am pretty good at recognising egrvalvitis!!). They tech 2'd it and diagnosed the real problem of the swirl valve actuator.

OK... The car is six months out of warranty, I missed the last service (number 3) through, I have to say, some uncharacteristic apathy on my part (Probably my undoing, as you will read!) and I am the third owner of the car.

I'll give the stealers their due they contacted VX to see what they could do but I have been told that they will not contribute towards any of the £835 costs apparantly due to me not being the original owner.

Fair one considering what goes against me as I have listed above.

Now, this is what I think I have going for me...

1 - I have had a string of problems (most of which are commonly recognised ones) since I have been the owner of the car...
    • 2 broken springs replaced
    • 2 broken front shox replaced
    • 2 x EGR valves replaced
    • 1 x Alternator replaced
    • 1 x wheel bearing replaced
    All in all around £1500 worth of parts according to my warranty claims history.

2 - I have been told by the stealers that there has been a bulletin circulated identifying the known problem with Inlet manifold / swirl valve on the CDTi. So proving VX are well aware of this recurring nightmare!!

3 - I believe that there is now a modified manifold - swirl valve assembly which further confirms VX's knowledge of the problem.

4 - Under the sale of goods act "Goods must last a reasonable length of time" (not sure about this as I wasn't the original owner)

I have VX customer care's number and my case number so I'll give them a go myself. But I would appreciate any constructive comments on what I should say.

I reckon that I am going to have to bite the bullet and cough up but as they say up here in Northumberland "Shy bairns get nowt!"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To be honest mate, I think you are struggling with Vx. They will simply just say its out of warranty, regardless of 1st, 2nd or third ownership.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the problems you have had and the fact that Vx have knowledge of such a problem.

The issue your going to have is the fact that its 6 months out of warranty-easy get out for them.

I had an issues on my dad's SRI and it was less than 30 days out of warranty and the dealers didnt want to know and would not contribute anything towards the cost of repair, in the end I did it myself (issues was a binding fron brake caliper).

I would certainly not get it reapired too quick, that if you can do without it for any length of time.

You points here.....

* 2 broken springs replaced
    * 2 broken front shox replaced
    * 2 x EGR valves replaced
    * 1 x Alternator replaced
    * 1 x wheel bearing replaced

.....paint quite a picture of the work its needed doing under warranty, so its had its fair share of problems!

But its like the 2.2 Direct issue that was highlighted in Watchdog, once the warranty is out, your on your own.

My way would be to go in all reasonable and pally pally, if all else fails, go in with the kill and get heavy with them.

Best of luck!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

out of warrenty m8, looks like your out on your own m8

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And if that still fails I'd take them to the small claims court as well. Threaten to contact the press to, these are tactics I've used in the passed as a last resort!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

find out the manufactorer of the "affected part" as it will be made by someone for vx and possibly many others... call em and see if there interested in "contribution to repair costs" before you arrange a class action against them

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What dealer you taking it too ? Davidsons?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, Davisons is just around the corner. I have just called Milburns for a price but am waiting for them to get back to me.

I can't really fault davisons, they have been really good and supportive about the whole thing.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had a reply from milburns of Ashington they have quoted me £814 with an EGR change and £691 without.

The guy wouldn't commit when i asked if I really needed to change the EGR on the car as it was replaced only 8 months ago.

Does anyone know if I should change it or just give it a clean?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Vecmaniac View Post
    Had a reply from milburns of Ashington they have quoted me £814 with an EGR change and £691 without.

The guy wouldn't commit when i asked if I really needed to change the EGR on the car as it was replaced only 8 months ago.

Does anyone know if I should change it or just give it a clean?

Having cleaned the one on the Vec-C in the past and found how easy it was to do, I would definately just give it a clean. You will find that the solenoid is probably nice and free as was mine (unless the fault lights on), but even after just 12k after the EGR was fitted new I found there was sufficient crud around the 2 valve seats to stop them sealing properly.

I just gave it a good soak in spirits and Wyns carb cleaner, and using a stiff brush, finishing off with some long cotton buds managed to get most of it cleaned off.
    Dont forget to clean the crud out of the inlet hole where it bolts on, lots of junk builds up in there, on mine once all the crap was cleaned out the inlet hole was almost twice the size, and boy did that engine go afterwards. The difference was amazing. One thing is certain, and that is... accelleration performance falls off well before any fault code is displayed, so I think its worth cleaning it about every 12 to 15k miles.

Judging from the various issues you have had, it sounds like you have been most unlucky with that vehicle, though I dont know what milage was on it of course.
    Touch wood, though I always change my vehicles before the warranty expires I have been very fortunate not to have any major problems with any of the VX vehicles I've had. My late Vec-C only had to have a EGR valve fitted and that was because the performance had fell off, and not due to a fault light showing, so it looks like I was fortunate.
    Last edited by 67688c; 7th April 2009 at 17:33.

Thread Information