Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Which Sat Nav?

Am thinking of buying a hand held Sat Nav and the only contraint is that I would like to be able to download OS maps to it. Was thinking of a Navman PiN 570 Pocket PC like this one: http://www.globalpositioningsystems....79d7f4aabcbd83

Does anyone know much about this one, or can anyone recommend another one?

Cheers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

It's not a bad unit for the price but the processer is a bit slow @ 266mhz
    Read the review HERE

I bought a HP iPAQ from E-bay with TomTom installed complete with genuine disks a GPS unit, 1Gb CF card and Windows mobile etc for £145. Bargain.
    Last edited by Caterman; 19th April 2006 at 22:28.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When you say 'download OS maps', what exactly do you mean by that?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    When you say 'download OS maps', what exactly do you mean by that?
    I dont know much about these things, but from what I understand you can buy OS map software (e.g. http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_onland.htm) and then download this software into the Sat Nav. It will then work in real time so your actual position is shown on the OS map on your Sat Nav.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think you've got your wires slightly crossed. The Memory Map software lets you browse, print off etc. the OS maps you buy for it. You can then export into a compatible GPS unit (hand held type) a route/waypoints that you then follow when you're out on the hills etc.

You can also import into the software your history/route that you have travelled with your GPS unit onto the Memory Map map, so you can see the route you've walked.

The Memory Map software isn't a (road) SatNav system/software. There's no SatNav system that I'm aware of that lets you download OS maps into it. They all come with the maps that the software manufacturers (TomTom, NavMan etc.) have provided. Some/most/all of these maps will contain OS data to some degree, but tend to be mapped by people like NavTech and TeleAtlas (to name two of the biggest).

Hope that helps explain a bit.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok, thanks Duncan. I said I didnt know much about these things!! lol!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No worries m8. Ask away if you've got any more questions.

In reply to your original question, if you're after a hand-held unit (I'm assuming you mean for car SatNav) then there are very good all-in-one units from TomTom (Go), Garmin and Navman. You can also get TomTom, and others, for Pocket PC if you want the extra features of a Pocket PC. You can even get TomTom (Mobile version) on your mobile phone (if you have a compatible phone). Small screen, but highly portable.

All depends what you want from your system. If you can give some info then I, and others, could make some suggestions.

HTH

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    There's no SatNav system that I'm aware of that lets you download OS maps into it.
    There is one manufacturer that does this, a guy at work has got one and I have seen the OS maps on it but I cant remember the name of it. They do 2 versions, 1 at £450 with a built in mobile phone and one at £350 without the phone. I'll find out tomorrow.

Also, just found this review on Amazon from a guy who bought a Navman 570....it does give me the impression you can download OS software to it......(http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/c...?s=electronics)

Just brought a pin 570 having deliberated for the last few months as mixed reviews on the web. Glad I did...although it did take me a while to switch the thing on and if you are hopeless with computers, dont recommend it. The instructions manual is pretty poor also. I wasnt worried about the pda functions, just wanted a car satnav and a hiking gps compatible with OS maps. Both work brilliantly...I had tried a garmin i3 for car satnav a couple of weeks before and the routing on the navman is far superior. The navman runs memory map OS maps with no problems. I downloaded wales first time and it is spot on, although there are one or two quirks you have to work out for yourself, but if you are reasonably o.k. with computers, should be no problem. I have also transferred OS routes and waypoints between PC and navman . Memory map provides an excellent software package, with superb 3d fly throughs and compliments navman very well. Th pda function is a bonus and whilst it doesnt have wifi/bluetooth, works really well. Also has media plyaer 9, so you can watch movie clips, listen to music etc. You can also load ebooks. I was worried regarding number of lock-ups other reviewers seem to have had, but have not had a single software problem since I bought it around 6 weeks ago. (and have used it every day).
    To conclude, ignore all the negative reviews, this is a superb piece of kit, well built and you wont regret it. Buy on line from comet and you can take it back within one week, opened, if you dont like it. (but I guarantee you will)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VectraSXi
    There is one manufacturer that does this, a guy at work has got one and I have seen the OS maps on it but I cant remember the name of it.
    Found it! It a Mio. Check this out:
    http://www.whitebeertravels.co.uk/mio.html
    (excuse the crappy cursor thing that follows the mouse!)
    Scroll done to the pictures and read the blurb underneath......

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, you can view the Memory Maps on a Pocket PC (the NavMan PiN is PPC based) using the PPC version of Memory Maps. You can zip routes/waypoints over from the laptop/PC to the PPC and vice versa.

Basically what this guy is running is the NavMan software for his in-car SatNav, and he's bought MemoryMap software and installed the (included) PPC version for his hiking/walking. What he isn't doing is downloading OS maps into the NavMan satnav software.

I'd be interested to hear what your friend has. It could be that it's a PPC device that he has the MemoryMap software on?

Edit: Just seen your second post. Yes, the Mio is a Pocket PC based unit, so he'll have installed MemoryMaps PPC version on that which runs separately to the SatNav software (CoPilot) in the Mio.

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information