Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Should it stay or should it go? - 2.2 SRi direct

H.Had my 2.2 Sri Direct (2004) for 14 months now and had a variety of faults,maybe unlucky, or maybe its because I'm over-critical.Anyway,here are a list of the problems? (The car is currently in the Dealership (under Warranty) awaiting a rocker cover gasket so I have a hire car (1.9CDTi) until my issues are resolved.)

New computer screen due to a “hotspot” on the screen (this took around 8 visits to get the computer programmed to the correct Sri functions spec)
    Piston rings upgraded due to loss of oil
    Wiper linkage broken
    Radiator mounts
    Sim module replaced
    Rear light connections faulty
    Sun visor clip
    CD player replaced
    Exhaust clamp upgrade
    Timing belt tensioner coming loose ( approx 3 days in Dealer)
    Faulty/leaking rocker cover gasket (currently in Dealers – gasket delivery has taken around 14 days already)
    Oxygen sensor replaced.
    Brakes unevenly worn at rear.

Vauxhall Customer Services are now involved and have offered me a number of options due to the extent of my problems.Exchange the car for similar spec,value,year etc,etc.Keep the car and as a goodwill gesture,once my Warranty expires (03/07) they will reinburse approx 80% of any repair and if any of the repairs faults again,repair F.O.C. in addition a free service or similar.

I actually like my car although not overly impressed with the "power/torque" of it.(previous car was a 1.9TDi 130 Passat).I now know that most of the issues have been resolved and with another car,I may have the whole process again.

To summarise.Am I just unlucky and persevere with my car OR take up the offer of an exchange? Really not sure.

Thanks in advance

John

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Keep the 1.9CDTi

If offered another car I would take it though insist on an ex-Vauxhall management car. I have one and can't fault it. If need be and you can afford it put money towards a 1.9 CDTi car.

Give the chance snap their arm off.

Sounds like a lemon TBH.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the quick reply!!! I should have mentioned.I still have 23 months left on my loan for the 2.2 Direct.My car has 26000 miles on it.What sort of "difference" would I have to pay on a "like" 1.9CDTi? I don't (but will at a push) be in the position of having to consolidate loans to make up the extra amount.I'm also not overly impressed with the standard spec of the CDTi,but the performance and fuel consumption is great.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My Astra was ex Vauxhall fleet too - not had a problem with it.

Sounds like you got a serious lemon - I'd get rid of it ASAP.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right... Depends what you owe on it and obviously I am not going to ask as it is private!!

My SRi Estate at 6-7 months old I bought with leather, sensors, 18's and loads more with 12k on the clock I got for £11k 8 months ago. Got a part ex value of 11k against a VXR the other day with 24k on it now. Rather pleased.

Depends what spec yours is? Basic 120bhp CDTi is quite sparse but the 150bhp engine like mine which is awesome is a good spec from the Design upwards really.

Myself once I lose confidence in a car, I can't get it back.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My Sri 2.2 Direct has 26K on it.i bought it march 05 with 11K on it.It has the trip computer,twin outlet exhausts,17" alloys,cruise control,air con etc,but basically nothing "modded".The car at the time cost me £10,995 (from a Dealer!) which given its mileage,condition and colour (black) I thought it was a good deal.What I'd get for it now is another story.The only car I'd consider exchanging it for (due to my work and that it would have to be a Vauxhall) would be the Sri CDTi 150, but I feel that the difference between what Vauxhall would give me for mine and ask for , would be quite significant.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Find a good alterative SRi 150bhp pre facelift within Network Q and use this as a bargaining tool. Basically say you have lost the trust in the 2.2 Litre engine and insist on a deal.

Would estimate upto £2k to change and it wouldn't be too hard.

I know of people getting a SRi 150bhp facelift Vectra for £12k. Base the price of your card on the full price as much as possible and claim you would of covered alot more miles if possible on your car as you do the miles. Claim to of done x amount of miles on this courtesy car, this courtesy car, your mates car, a company car etc. Basically rack up the miles on other cars if you see what I mean and claim the inconvience against Vauxhall.

Keep pushing and it is possible as basically they will want this settling.

I know someone who had simular car and got just over £9k trade in for it with simular spec and age.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by johnmac
    Vauxhall Customer Services are now involved and have offered me a number of options due to the extent of my problems.Exchange the car for similar spec,value,year etc,etc.Keep the car and as a goodwill gesture,once my Warranty expires (03/07) they will reinburse approx 80% of any repair and if any of the repairs faults again,repair F.O.C. in addition a free service or similar.

To summarise.Am I just unlucky and persevere with my car OR take up the offer of an exchange? Really not sure.
    I'd be tempted to bite their arm off and take the exchange.But as CDTi has said, push them hard to cover any difference in price. You've experienced a helluva lot of inconvenience. You've definitely had a Friday afternoon lemon there by the sounds of it.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Do you actually think its possible to get an exchange without any cash adjustment? I would love to think so,but I can't see them doing this.They were very polite and understanding on the phone but we could be talking in excess of £1500 here.To be honest i do like my car,but my concerns are when the warranty expires.I'm on 1st name terms with everyone (and I mean everyone) in my local Dealer!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by johnmac
    Do you actually think its possible to get an exchange without any cash adjustment? I would love to think so,but I can't see them doing this.They were very polite and understanding on the phone but we could be talking in excess of £1500 here.
    If you push firmly, but politely, enough - I can't see why not. I think it's the least they can do given all the hassle you've had. You can just say you've lost all confidence in that engine. It also depends on whether you want a diesel instead? (as obviously they have that extra premium on price).

If at the end of the day you don't want a diesel, or Vx don't budge at all on any allowance/difference in price (and you don't want to pay it yourself), I'd certainly consider the 2.0T. It's a much more capable engine than the 2.2 and you'll definitely find them in the same price range that you're talking about.

But, if you do fancy the 1.9 CDTi, then as above, push them firmly but politely. If you're on first name terms with everyone at your dealer, then get them to back you up!

If it was me, I'd want a different car, whatever engine it was. Once you've had all that sort of hassle with a car, you just want shot of it. And as you say, once the warranty expires then what? Even 20% contribution from you for any repairs could be a lot of dough if the car starts to suffer major problems.

HTH

D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information