0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2007

Mileage : lots !

Default What a saga!

Somewhat surprised yesterday to hear the unmistakable grinding noise from the back that told me I was overdue a pad change.

This was a bit of a shock as the outer pads were only 1/2 worn, if that.

Anyway, when I bought the car last June, I added a piston rewind tool to my arsenal of tools, and bought a GM adaptor from e-bay

16:45 today, on stands and left rear wheel off. Stripping the pads out and splitting the caliper took minutes. Then it all started to go wrong.....

Turns out the holes in the piston are 20mm between centres - my 'GM' tool was 23 ! So, call Halfrauds to see if they have an adaptor - I bought the tool from them after all. Took around 5 minutes for the guy on the other end of the phone to understand 'brake piston rewind tool' only to be told 'no mate I'd have to order one'

OK thinks I, grind off the pegs on the tool, drill and tap two holes, fit bolts and cut off to suit - great idea till I broke the bloomin tap at the end of the first hole !

Desperate hunt in the far flung corners of the long hidden, unused, toolboxes unearthed an old imperial tap and a couple of bolts roughly the right size. OK, finish bodging an adaptor, and the left hand side's good to go.

Swap sides - and the wheel is firmly stuck to the hub - hide faced hammer, wooden wedges - not moving. So, time to follow my own advice and thrunge round the block with loose wheel bolts - that did it !

15 minutes later, jobs finished - actual pad change, around half an hour - trouble with dodgy tools 3 hours 30 mins .......
    Last edited by Stevel; 31st March 2009 at 20:49. Reason: By passing swear filter in thread title.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got my rewind tool off ebay mate - 10 quid posted and fitted exactly, with 3/8" drive in the middle of it...

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JagRigger View Post
    Somewhat surprised yesterday to hear the unmistakable grinding noise from the back that told me I was overdue a pad change.

This was a bit of a shock as the outer pads were only 1/2 worn, if that.

Anyway, when I bought the car last June, I added a piston rewind tool to my arsenal of tools, and bought a GM adaptor from e-bay

16:45 today, on stands and left rear wheel off. Stripping the pads out and splitting the caliper took minutes. Then it all started to go wrong.....

Turns out the holes in the piston are 20mm between centres - my 'GM' tool was 23 ! So, call Halfrauds to see if they have an adaptor - I bought the tool from them after all. Took around 5 minutes for the guy on the other end of the phone to understand 'brake piston rewind tool' only to be told 'no mate I'd have to order one'

OK thinks I, grind off the pegs on the tool, drill and tap two holes, fit bolts and cut off to suit - great idea till I broke the bloomin tap at the end of the first hole !

Desperate hunt in the far flung corners of the long hidden, unused, toolboxes unearthed an old imperial tap and a couple of bolts roughly the right size. OK, finish bodging an adaptor, and the left hand side's good to go.

Swap sides - and the wheel is firmly stuck to the hub - hide faced hammer, wooden wedges - not moving. So, time to follow my own advice and thrunge round the block with loose wheel bolts - that did it !

15 minutes later, jobs finished - actual pad change, around half an hour - trouble with dodgy tools 3 hours 30 mins .......
    Cor what a palava, glad you got it sorted in the m8 .......

Thread Information