not sure if this has been done in a post before - but here was my attempt on the Swirl Flap Linkage Rod £1 fix for Chrisvectra's 1.9 CDTI (150)
So - I sourced some tap washers from Focus DIY for £0.99
I have my old inlet from when mine was changed - so i used my old bar and Inlet to measure the washer holes and fit.
First I looked at the size of the holes on the tap washers - they were about 3mm ID so were too small and VERY hard to get over the Swirl nob!.
- So I drilled out the hole 1 mm at a time and checked how it felt on the inlet, 4.5mm was still too tight to allow the swirls to turn, 5mm seemed spot on..
You will see that I also counter sunk the top of the hole. reason being is that the washer was thick and this meant that the top half of the washer was griping the nobbly bit of the swirl flap post. by counter sinking the hole, the washer 'snapped' over the nobble and then was gripping the section below the nobble.
This is shown well here:
Next was to tackle the rod itself. Due to the thickness of the washer - I wanted to grind the rod joints so that the bar was the same height as origional when the washers are glued on - so I did - out with the bench grinder
....final result after grinding the rod links:
Here are the washers and rod - all ready to be glued. I litterally touched the face of the washers on the grinder so that he surface of the washer was flat from where I drilled - but also slightly rough so the glue would hold:
So - out with the Araldite Rapid set..
Mixed some up - put a little on the rod faces where the washers will sit - and also some on the face of the washer faces, and put them together.
Let it set for an hr or so, so that the washers dont fall off when I put it on and off the inlet and hay presto!:
I actually forgot to take a pic of it on the inlet - ooops and Chris has the bar now... but I think you can all see that it looks the part
Lets just see how Chris gets on..
Hope this all helps..