User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: EDS 200hp maps - with or without EGR?

  1. #1
    Regular Member muctm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    on the milky way
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default EDS 200hp maps - with or without EGR?

    I have the 200hp "ultra low emissions" (uses EGR) at the moment and the car drives great.
    It the 200hp no EGR map better?
    Have any of you used it?

  2. #2
    On a Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    EVERYWHERE
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muctm View Post
    I have the 200hp "ultra low emissions" (uses EGR) at the moment and the car drives great.
    It the 200hp no EGR map better?
    Have any of you used it?
    Turning off the EGR increases NOx emissions (gas that reacts with sun light to cause smog,but never a big problem in the UK),but it stops your engine from eating exhaust gases (its own ****),which should mean better fuel economy and engine efficiency plus your engine oil will be less contaminated with exhaust by-products.

  3. #3
    Regular Member muctm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    on the milky way
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Thanks. I am fully aware of what the EGR does.
    My question was about the byproducts of shutting off the EGR:
    better response?
    turbo staying spooled longer/all the time?
    ..
    general impressions

  4. #4
    Regular Member muctm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    on the milky way
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    ...plus your engine oil will be less contaminated with exhaust by-products.
    Can you explain more?

  5. #5
    Regular Member bertbuckie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Turriff - Aberdeenshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    Turning off the EGR increases NOx emissions (gas that reacts with sun light to cause smog,but never a big problem in the UK),but it stops your engine from eating exhaust gases (its own ****),which should mean better fuel economy and engine efficiency plus your engine oil will be less contaminated with exhaust by-products.
    is this valve diesel only?

  6. #6
    On a Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    EVERYWHERE
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muctm View Post
    Can you explain more?
    Exhaust gases burnt with the fuel in the cylinder carry with them particles of soot (which ironically become much greater in size and quantity with more percentage of Exhaust gas burnt!).

    These particles of soot are abrasive and find their way past your piston rings etc and end up in your oil.So not only will your engine wear out more quickly due to these particles being in the combustion process,you then have the double wammy of decreasing your oils lubrication properties because the particles are taking up valueable space in it.

    The treble wammy is that modern oils have to be more eco friendly (don't clog your DPF and help mop up the soot particles),and that means that they don't contain so many wear inhibitors as they once did!

  7. #7
    On a Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    EVERYWHERE
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bertbuckie1 View Post
    is this valve diesel only?
    Truck diesels,Marine diesels,you name it.

    EGR caused truck manufacturers huge problems.They could burn lots of it,and their engines were clean(er).But the penalties of poorer economy and power were hard to take.

    To put EGR in simple terms: If you had something to eat and then **** it out and then you ate about 30% of it,do you think that you would operate better or worse than if you didn't eat any of it ?

  8. #8
    Regular Member muctm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    on the milky way
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    Exhaust gases burnt with the fuel in the cylinder carry with them particles of soot (which ironically become much greater in size and quantity with more percentage of Exhaust gas burnt!).

    These particles of soot are abrasive and find their way past your piston rings etc and end up in your oil.So not only will your engine wear out more quickly due to these particles being in the combustion process,you then have the double wammy of decreasing your oils lubrication properties because the particles are taking up valueable space in it.

    The treble wammy is that modern oils have to be more eco friendly (don't clog your DPF and help mop up the soot particles),and that means that they don't contain so many wear inhibitors as they once did!
    One of the downsides of disabling the EGR is that the turbo will fail faster, as all the gases pass through it. But as my motto is: "if something brakes get a bigger and better one...", I can live with that

    Thanks for the reply

  9. #9
    On a Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    EVERYWHERE
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muctm View Post
    One of the downsides of disabling the EGR is that the turbo will fail faster, as all the gases pass through it.
    The EGR valve is only open during part-throttle conditions.At full throttle/load/idle/warm-up the EGR valve is fully closed anyway.So closing the EGR under part-throttle (cruising) conditions will put no extra strain on the turbo,but the engine will be faster to react when you do open the throttle due to the mixture in the cylinder/inlet manifold not having exhaust gas already in it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Maverick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicester
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    I don't think for one minute that EGR will lessen the life of your engine as described here.

    I am sure GM would have looked at this when the system was being designed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. PS3 MW3 new maps
    By johnnyboy1985 in forum Games Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th March 2012, 23:38
  2. bsr maps
    By slick91 in forum Diesel Engine related
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20th July 2009, 13:52
  3. re maps
    By andys964 in forum Diesel Engine related
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 6th July 2009, 12:37
  4. Anyone used E-Maps...
    By Dan_BlackSRi in forum Diesel Engine related
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th January 2009, 19:42
  5. BSR Maps
    By FIL 4822 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30th December 2007, 21:30

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •