User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got back from VXR Performance Centre..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Just got back from VXR Performance Centre..

Just got back (to work) from the VXR Performance centre..

The Zaf is now remapped

I've only done 80 miles in it, and it should improve slightly as the ECU adapts itself, but already it seems to be a good increase in power/torque..

It's quite deceptive as it is very smooth, the boost comes in smoothly, and it just pulls so linearly.. after several 3rd gear overtakes on the way home I can confirm that it seems to be faster then my CR2.. The CR2 felt quick, and gave a kick in the back slightly, something initially the remap didn't seem to do, but the more I drove it, the more I realised it is just really smooth which masks the initial 'kick' somewhat.

The sport switch is addictive, and a good way to 'feel' the increase, switch it off, then top gear, 2000RPM, floor it, and after a second or so, press the sports switch, there is a 'big' noticeable increase in torque as it just takes off...

I will slap on the G-Meter tonight for some comparitive testing, fastest 0-60 standard was 9.7 and with the CR2, 8.3, with a 16.7 1/4 mile.. although the G-Meter is not totally accurate it is repeatable, so on the bit of road I use with runs in both directions its should be good enough for comparitive values.

While waiting, I was given the chance to go out for a spin in the 888 Sri CDTI demo car.. and I loved it, again, no big kick in the back, just masses of smooth power.. it's hard to describe unless you drive one, the actual 'pull' in 4th is excellent.. so deceptively fast. The suspension on this car is excellent, it's firm, tracks the road surface well, but doesn't crash over bumps, and even throwing it around some roundabouts in my normal hamfisted manner, sliding the front slightly, it was much better behaved then I thought it would.. all credit to Dave for not reprimanding me for being a bit wayward at times, I am now considering one as a replacement for my Vectra..

Conclusion.
    My gut feeling at first was there was no big kick in power, and power delivery is a bit too smooth.. however, 3rd gear overtakes really showed the increase in power, I tried some without the sports button on, and a few with, there is no mistaking the magintude of the power increase..

I will give it a few hundred miles for any ECU adaption or whatever it is claimed it is doing before drawing any final conclusions.. I am wary after Nutron's experience, and I often wonder about inflated BHP claims, but I can whole heartedly say it's now faster then it ever was, although I will back this up with some G-Meter info..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

great review has me seriously considering this now

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Superb review Phil

I would think about getting this remap if it were warranty approved...have you had this verified today Phil whether its approved or not??

spoons

Good Review Phil,

It'll be interesting to see what results you get...

The 888 remap with the sport button, does it still cost £550 +VAT

Also, I've considered the 888 remap but would you say the extra power is worth an extra £400 over the CR1 tuning boxes?

I like the idea that its smoother, but does it loose the sporty "effect", if you know what I mean... does it make the accelleration a little boring. I know that sounds mad, but the turbo kick is entertaining at times....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

Sports button is extra.

Glad you are happy with your remap mate. Are you going to take it to the RR?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Wow.. that's all I will say.. just got back from seriously abusing the gearbox..

Firsts two comments
    1. The G-Meter is not an ultra-reliable bit of equipment, it is however quite 'repeatable' and as long as you use the same stretch of road (run in both directions) and set it up in the same way, it does seem to provide useful comparative data
    2. I used the same driving style (ultra-fast gearbox knackering gear changes, 3-4RPM statring RPM, shifting at 4500RPM). Fuel load was identical, and I am as fat as ever, in other words, conditions are as identical to the last set of runs I did.

STATE 0-60 1/4 Mile
    Std 9.6 17.8@77MPH
    CR2 (TC ON) 8.3 16.6@85MPH
    CR2 (TC OFF) 8.1 16.3@87MPH
    VXR MAP (TC ON) 9.2 16.7@81MPH
    VXR MAP (SP TC ON) 7.8 16.1@89MPH
    VXR MAP (SP TC OFF) 7.58 15.78@92.8MPH

I hope that makes sense.. The quickest CR2 0-60 was 8.1seconds, which was 1.5 seconds quicker then my fastest standard run.. which I though was reasonable.. but with the VXR Map, It feels faster, and does indeed give me better times....

I'd say the things I've noticed is that increase in torque, when changing up a gear, it certainly seems to maintain the acceleration better then the CR2, which used to dip slightly..

The other odd thing is that under full load with the CR2 I was getting a bit of diesel knock, with the remap, that's gone, it seems quieter then ever, which is the oppo to Nutron's experience..

The price of the remap is £549.99 (inc VAT), and from a warranty perspective, VX garages can't see that it has been remapped, the Tech2 reports the same Map version as standard.. so although not 'official', it's about as 'stealth' as you are going to get..

If you already have a sport button, there is no extra charge, but as Nutron says to have one fitted will be extra..

I don't think I'll be taking it to a RR, if it didn't feel as fast as I was expecting, I certainly would do, but I don't need an RR to tell me that.. and quite frankly I hate RR's, unless you have runs done on the same day/same rollers, figures can vary by 10-15BHP..
    Last edited by phil-t; 12th April 2006 at 18:54.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Excellent review matey. It sounds like a very potent weapon. All you have to do now is stop using it to it's fullest extent to protect your license and your tyres.

Well done!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

Phil did you have the sports button on your Zaffy or did they add it as an extra?

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by plasma
    Phil did you have the sports button on your Zaffy or did they add it as an extra?
    I had a new shape Zaffy 1.9 CDTi as a courtesy car and it had a sports button fitted. It gave a decent power increase on a standard car too.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, as AJA says, it already has one..

It's great for the VXR remap, being able to select 2 settings, but tbh on mine it has one downside...

As standard, the sports button changes the throttle response, so for example with your foot halfway down, it is giving you full throttle, this gives the illusion of more power, but it is actually exactly the same power with or without it pressed, as confirmed by Dave @ VXR. But this makes driving it smoothly with this almost on/off throttle action more difficult. With the Remap, you now have all that extra power, and a much sharper throttle response which is entertaining in one way, a bit of a pain in another..

If anyone is in any doubt as to whether to get the Remap, I am sure if asked nicely, just drive down to the performance centre, and ask for a go in teh 888 Astra SRi demo car, this has the same remap, and some suspension/brake mods, but essentially I can confirm the remap on mine feels like that demo car, just a little less due to extra weight of the Zaf..

Also, I've considered the 888 remap but would you say the extra power is worth an extra £400 over the CR1 tuning boxes?

I like the idea that its smoother, but does it loose the sporty "effect", if you know what I mean... does it make the accelleration a little boring. I know that sounds mad, but the turbo kick is entertaining at times....
    At £550, its 'only' £350 over a CR1 or £250 over a CR2.. and is it worth it?? well I think so.. even in this short time, it's clear that it works in harmony with the engine, no overfuelling, no hesitations/glitches, etc, etc

As for the kick in the back, not a problem, it still does, in first, it lunges the car forward, and because it's a smoother delivery, it gets the power down better.. it's now wheel spinning in third if it hits any bumps.. something it never did with the CR2..

I'm not knocking the CR2, I loved that, but it seemed when turned up to 'max' it started affecting the driveability, and it inevitably overfuels at times..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information