User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vectra VXR Versus CDTi CR1

spoons

Default Vectra VXR Versus CDTi CR1

Has anyone driven the new Vectra VXR compared to a CR1 modified Vectra Diesel.

How does the performance compare to the two cars.

Does the VXR absolutely trash the CR1 (not bothered about 0-60) but real life driving, midrange etc....

Is it worth the extra £8-10k for the VXR especially with the low fuel consumption, depreciation, insurance etc....

Really would appreciate some comments on this one... Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I reckon we'd have to see one head to head first...as for real life driving remember that the VXR has a flat torque curve from 1800 to 4500 at 262 lb/ft and then the V6 comes into it's own.

You'd need to consider a remapped one thou.....becaues you have the CR1, then there's the 345mm brakes...Recaro seats, xenon lights and all the standard VXR goodies etc.

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by In a states
    I reckon we'd have to see one head to head first...as for real life driving remember that the VXR has a flat torque curve from 1800 to 4500 at 262 lb/ft and then the V6 comes into it's own.

You'd need to consider a remapped one thou.....becaues you have the CR1.
    But what does all that mean..... are you saying that a Vectra VXR midrange is the same as a CR1 tuned CDTi

I know my CDTi is fast but is it really as fast as a Vectra VXR ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With a top speed of 161 and the best part of 260 horses under the bonnet, the tuned tractor would have it's work cut out!

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Personally I don't think the CDTi (with a box on) is a match for the VXR. Big Phil pipped me to the line at Santa Pod and his car was a standard GSi. I know that a tuned CDTi is fantastic on the motorway as I have one, but I don't think you can match the VXR.

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey©
    With a top speed of 161 and the best part of 260 horses under the bonnet, the tuned tractor would have it's work cut out!
    I agree.... and I'm certainly not suggesting my tractor is faster

BUT, how much slower is it ?? thats what I am trying to establish. I've learned that BHP isnt all that you need to consider as Torque really helps when your on the move, which is when I really use my power. I dont do 'many' traffic light sprints nowadays.

I know that the VXR has loads of extras and its a loverly car, BUT how much faster is it compared to a tuned CDTi.

The best thing is for me to test drive one, but I dont really have the time and I dont want the sales guy all revved up ready for me to part with my money, just yet, anyway.....

Your comments are really valuable though as it helps me make my decision on what I will go for next......
    Last edited by spoons; 11th April 2006 at 12:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

whilst its true that torque is what actually turns the wheels, you cant forget about gearing, cos this what a similar powered petrol with lower torque will use to go faster. Diesels - even with a 6 speed box, have much longer ratios than a petrol, as the petrol will rev for longer. I have compared my Astra Coupe Turbo (5 speed, lighter, 50bhp more, about 50Ibft less) againast my standard CDTi 150 which seems a similarish comparison to the one you suggested, and the astra is very noticably quicker in all areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

The VXR does 0-60 in about 6.something seconds, I could get under 8 sec before my remap, so I now I've got an extra 30+bhp and 40+lbft.

A max out 1.9CDTI is definatly a beast and once I get a clutch to hold it I'll find out just how much of a beast. But I don't see it keeping up with a 2.8ltr petrol turbo.

They both weight similar amounts so it's just down to torque and power, mine has more torque but it can't hold it as long and I would have to change gear. Each gear change takes half a second so I would be at a big disadvantage.

Pound for Pound, in gear, the CDTI would have rpm ranges where it would out accelerate the VXR but those ranges aren't big enough to give it a realistic chance.

So no, you won't keep up if you both floor it but if you just want to overtake one and they are not ready (down shifted and revin the tits off it) you would stand a good chance of going past them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After owning a CR1 modified CDTi and have driven a Vectra VXR on more than one occasion, the VXR would kill it. In every way, 0-60, mid range, top speed.

Even a 888 re-mapped 200bhp CDTi would be destroyed by a VXR. The 2.8 VXR can rev to a good 6500rpm which of course gives it a major advantage over a diesel.

If I use my Zafira as a comparison, which is 260bhp and 270lb/ft (Similar to Vectra VXR figures), my old CDTi with CR1 was not in the same league and the Zaf could outrun it without breaking into a sweat.

But after driving the Vectra VXR, I am not convinced my Zafira would keep up with it, the Vectra VXR's straight line speed is THAT good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

You haven't tried my CDTI

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast