Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default FAO Police officers on here

Just wondering if you can give me some advice. My wife has just bought a car which doesn't have tax on it. She called up the insurance company and has transfered her insurance but from what I can see, she won't be able to get a tax disk until the certificate comes through.

Someone commented that this happened to a friend and when they got stopped they were given a 7 day notice to produce and since the insurance certifcate arrived and she bought the tax disk right away no action was taken. Can you confirm this or would my wife get done for driving without tax?

unfortunately we can't do it online because the registration will take a few days to process and we don't want the tax disk going to the previous owner. Catch 22!

Any advice welcome.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Correct, you cannot drive or keep the vehicle on the public highway until the vehicle is displaying a valid RFL (Tax Disc)

You will need to wait until the insurance policy is in effect and then purchase the RFL online
    OR
    Wait until the insurance policy certificate arrives and purchase the RFL at an appointed agent

Failing to display a valid RFL is not usually a police matter, it gets referred to Customs & Excise and it is up to them to decide whether to take action

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 26000

Quote Originally Posted by knoxvillain View Post
    Just wondering if you can give me some advice. My wife has just bought a car which doesn't have tax on it. She called up the insurance company and has transfered her insurance but from what I can see, she won't be able to get a tax disk until the certificate comes through.

Someone commented that this happened to a friend and when they got stopped they were given a 7 day notice to produce and since the insurance certifcate arrived and she bought the tax disk right away no action was taken. Can you confirm this or would my wife get done for driving without tax?

unfortunately we can't do it online because the registration will take a few days to process and we don't want the tax disk going to the previous owner. Catch 22!

Any advice welcome.
    Can you not get the insurance company to send you a coulour copy by email??

I had the same problem when I bought my Vec, I explained the situation to the insurance company (that I needed to tax the car) and they sent me a colour copy which I printed off.(it has to be a colour copy).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm not sure, unfortunately by the time we got home their customer services had closed. Ironically she is insured with The Post Office! Maybe they could fax a copy through to our local post office branch.

She can't do it online because she only completed the V5 today so it hasn't been posted yet and so the road tax disk would go to the previous owner which doesn't help us.

What's the penalty for driving without a tax disk? 3pts & £60?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i had a similar problem mate except the previous owner cocked up the new keeper supliment and tippexed over it, i had the insurance docs in the glove box but wasnt able to tax the vehicle cus the new keeper supliment was tippexed so had to wait upto 28 days for the new one to arrive. i drove the car a few times locally and just my luck i got pulled as it was showing not insured or taxed, i told them that the tax was in the post and showed them my insurance docs. they checked my license and insurance out and was free to drive. i found out the day after that i can take it to the dvla and tax it there which i did. nothing ever came of it but it was a scary feeling not knowing if i was gonna get done or not. as you say if you get a producer, just show your docs within 7 days as the dax disc its self doesnt give a start date and is not recorded. id be more worried of dvla clamping it without insurance when parked up and having to pay a fine ontop of a new tax disk. or even if you had a crash not sure if the insurance would cough up.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

unfortunately i tried that aswell post office doesnt accept fax copies it has to be a printed copy, not faxed in anyway. insurance might email you the cert to print off on a colour printer.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had a similar issue a few years ago. Picking up my new (used) car on a Sunday from FOW. Set up insurance to run from Sunday, - and it was a bank hol weekend. Went to the post office to tax it on Sat and they refused as insurance didnt start till sunday. I went to a local small post office with all docs including the paperwork for collecting the car Sun and explained I just wanted to be legal driving home and to work on Mon as Post Office closed bank hol. They just taxed it for me. Maybe a bit of common sense from DVLA if you ring em they might let you tax it and register vehicle change at same time. The insurance will be ok as they can check that.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

tax disc has nothing to do with a producer. My advice is don't drive it without tax. It isn't really a police matter as said before. It doesn't carry 3 points or a £60 fine, if you drive you take the chance of getting caught. You do however get five days at the start of each month to sort your tax out. I'll see if I can find the info for you, it might help,

Robbie

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

i would not drive it m8, tbh if you get a funny copper they could give you a fine plus points

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

so if it's not a police matter what action would the police take if the car passed a traffic car and it flagged up their ANPR? Would they just report her to the DVLA or Customer & Excise?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information