Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Swear filter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lol, just saw this thread....thought it was just me getting in trouble for this hahaha --- its a way of life in scotland

choose swearing, choose life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Think this needs bumping as people still try to edit words themselves instead of letting the filter do it for them..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ah ha ha ha.. what a stupid thread! You cant even put asterisk in... IM sure all of these words are in our day to day life, even the likes of OTHER public forums and SEARCH engines such as google etc EVEN if its spelt WRONG it is still found and dont tell me its not!

If parents are stupid enough not to have a filter / cyber nanny then its there own tough you know what! God the IDIOTS of today, do you know what sites most kids are on? Facebook, youtube,myspace,twitter etc with swear words daily, then theres you five and six year olds that are on Barbie or action man or other games sites getting virus' but should probably not be allowed to use the internet.

And if they get the implication of what the asterisx stand for then who's fault is that? Oh yea the person the put in the thread, not the fact that they heard it ELSEWHERE. Foul language is one thing as a rule but BANNING asterisx?
    I dont see how such things LOWER the tone of the site, it has members of all ages.... except under 16's as they are not LEGALLY allowed to drive therefore should probably not be on the site? Dont give me the my son or daughter might see schpeel either!

COME ON PEOPLE, WE dont all go to church and we live in a country that is supposedly freedom of speech but hey thats IRONY for you along with hypocritical!

Spelling mistakes are more than likely in this post!
    Last edited by Silver V; 6th June 2009 at 01:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Quote Originally Posted by Silver V View Post

COME ON PEOPLE, WE dont all go to church and we live in a country that is supposedly freedom of speech but hey thats IRONY for you along with hypocritical!

Unlike You, We don't all want to read threads full of swear words either.. If you want that sort of forum goto barryboys, and indulge yourself in a whole plethora of swearwords and txt speak..
    As for google, well search engines use bots to search a websites content, if your site if full of swearwords then they will be indexed and associated with your site in relevant searches.. Luckily we have a swear filter that replaces swearwords with an *, which prevents us from being listed in search engines under certain swearwords..

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech either, what you are refering to is freedom of expression.. It's not what you say, it's how you say it that counts, and if someone can't say or get across what they intended to say without swearwords then that doesn't say alot for them does it..
    BTW, every piece of forum / BB software on the market has censorship built in, its upto the Admin of each site whether or not they use it..
    Last edited by Big-Pete; 10th July 2009 at 10:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation

Freedom of speech / freedom of expression both are god given along with the Enlgish lanuage!

What you failed to pick up on was the point that * are now banned too!!! WHY? its not bypassing its BLEETING IT OUT! Dont tell me actual non swear words like *****,****** and testical is banned too? we shall find out when this is posted and they probably are.... NO WAIT they actually are. Common words used by DR's are censored!!!!! I was not even trying to bypass the filter and yet as we found the words are censored, Im sure when kids goto a sex ed class these words get censored too....

also why has a member been pretty much told that he is inferior for not being here since July 2006, I have been here since Jul 2006!! I am now going to tell everyone that I am more inferior and they should bow down and worship me! What a stupid comment from a mod!

Come on get a grip and stop taking everything so serioulsy, its a forum... If you thought members swearing was bad how about half of them driving with un-declared mods thus making them un-insured.... or threads that openly invite speeding ( Oh I was testing on my private land ) yep every member has a private runway dont they!!

Talking about illegal mods etc

You see this "family" run forum has a few other issues (just like most other forums) but yet the most trivial one is the one most clamped down on, not any of the illegal ones.

Forum Rules http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136

And because I have pointed this out I am more than likely expecting to be told to leave and go to another forum like skinny Pete has said or an infraction / ban etc etc AS ever A nice mod that doesnt like someones opinion so you are told to join another forum...

Oh and to all the nice new members that take the site forward, you are just as important as the people that have been here from the start!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Freedom of speech / freedom of expression both are god given along with the Enlgish lanuage!

What you failed to pick up on was the point that * are now banned too!!! WHY? its not bypassing its BLEETING IT OUT! Dont tell me actual non swear words like *****,****** and testical is banned too? we shall find out when this is posted and they probably are.... NO WAIT they actually are. Common words used by DR's are censored!!!!! I was not even trying to bypass the filter and yet as we found the words are censored, Im sure when kids goto a sex ed class these words get censored too....

also why has a member been pretty much told that he is inferior for not being here since July 2006, I have been here since Jul 2006!! I am now going to tell everyone that I am more inferior and they should bow down and worship me! What a stupid comment from a mod!

Come on get a grip and stop taking everything so serioulsy, its a forum... If you thought members swearing was bad how about half of them driving with un-declared mods thus making them un-insured.... or threads that openly invite speeding ( Oh I was testing on my private land ) yep every member has a private runway dont they!!

Talking about illegal mods etc

You see this "family" run forum has a few other issues (just like most other forums) but yet the most trivial one is the one most clamped down on, not any of the illegal ones.

Forum Rules http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136

And because I have pointed this out I am more than likely expecting to be told to leave and go to another forum like skinny Pete has said or an infraction / ban etc etc AS ever A nice mod that doesnt like someones opinion so you are told to join another forum...

Oh and to all the nice new members that take the site forward, you are just as important as the people that have been here from the start!

A very interesting piece and i have to say i do agree with some of your points, be good to see what other members think, before this thread gets closed !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't know what the big fuss is about not being able to swear.
    The rule has been clearly stated that there is no swearing allowed. Maybe some people agree, maybe some don't, but can't everyone just accept that that is the rule and live with it. It's surely not too difficult to find another word to use in place that's non-offensive. Is it?
    Don't get me wrong, I swear as much as the next person when I'm in familiar company, and am not offended by swearing either. However, I don't swear in public, or in front of people that I'm unfamiliar with; it’s impolite, as you don't know how they will respond to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Didn't even know that there was a swear filter, thought everyone used asterisks instead!

Did anyone else think that?

Does that mean that loads of use who use asterisks will stop doing it to see if the swear filter works?

Asterisks leave it to the reader to read whatever swear word they choose into the sentence - probably worse than the one I would have chosen!

Here are some swear words to test the filter:

MP
    Banker
    Marmite

Here are some more words that were previously regarded as swear words but have been knocked off the top spot by MP, Banker and Marmite:

Estate agent
    2nd hand car salesman
    Parking warden
    Bovril

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

i got a tellin off a few weeks ago make you feel naughty lol

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Foul language is one thing as a rule but BANNING asterisx?
    What you failed to pick up on was the point that * are now banned too!!!
    Where on earth did you get the idea in your head that asterisks have been banned?!! What we're talking about is bypassing the swear filter i.e. instead of typing a swear word that would then result in it being completely replaced by asterisks (like two of yours were in your last post) people inserting strategically placed letters, with the rest as asterisks, to make it obvious what the word was. That's what is being clamped down on as it has become more prolific of late whereas in the past it was not so prolific and not picked up on as often.

I dont see how such things LOWER the tone of the site, it has members of all ages....
    Really? - so a post littered with words that have been typed in such a way to stop the swear filter kicking in doesn't bring the tone down? Well you may not think so but we do, and as Admin of the forum we're the ones who ultimately set the rules of the forum, often in collaboration with the Mods as they will be the ones that will be enforcing them.
    also why has a member been pretty much told that he is inferior for not being here since July 2006,
    What?! Where did you get that idea from?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information