Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JSYSH466Y View Post
    Whats That Fool
    thanks for clearing that one up I had totaly misread it ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ok i apolagise i didnt read the rules and thought that you meant swapping round words but either way it was silly and imature i will refrain form taking the piddle out of the moderators, i realise my views on swearing is not the same as everyone elses but i do believe some times "oh sugar" doesnt cut it but i will do my best not to swear.
    sorry ed and sorry to everyone else no offence was meant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by fingers66 View Post
    As I had a warning from admin about putting 2 astrics between the F and K ..... what about putting 2 o's or 0's between F and K ....does that count, if so why werent the posts deleted as mines was, example is here and here oh also here and maybe here try here as well
    If you take the time to read the rules then you will see that swearing full stop is not allowed. Thankyou for bringing those posts to our attention ... they've now been dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by big rich View Post
    i had a warning for putting 4 of these in a post (****) ....now i dont think that was fair tbh
    Zero tolerance is just that ... it could have been worse ... you could have had an infraction or indeed a ban

If some astrics between a F and K put you of m8 you better not watch Gorden Ramsay cooking on TV
    As this programme is on after the watershed and he would know what it contained then I'm sure he would choose not to watch it or at least to shield his children from it ... as we are a family forum and there is no 'watershed' we have made the decision that all our posts should be available for all to read without causing offence.

If you have an overwhelming desire to type profanity into forum posts then I'm sure there are plenty of other places on the internet to do that ... if you would like to post here all we ask is that you keep it clean ... not that much to ask is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ed taylor View Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by g.o'rilla
    the constant swearing was one of the reasons for not visiting here so often any more.

He may not watch gordon ramsey on the telly. That is his perogotive.
    But he chose to be a member on this site far longer than you have been a member.
    i agree with this no swearing lark but not this. What has length of membership got to do with anything??? Ive seen several examples of this and dont think its right. People thinking they are more important than others cos they've been here longer.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bobby-tupper View Post
    not being stupid or trying to start an arguement,but what exactly does this mean..... when we post we shouldnt try and replace letters in swear words with symbols or use words that look and sound like swear words???? was only wondering be gentle with me
    Just to clarify and make it clear, an additional paragraph has been added into the rule that Ade quoted so that there's no confusion.....

2. Language

Profanity and profanity directed at others in an insulting manner will not be tolerated, nor will obscene, vulgar, hateful, threatening or language violative of any laws. The swear filter is there for a reason, namely to filter out inadvertent instances of words not suitable for a family forum - these words having the letters replaced by the character *. Any posts where the swear filter has had to go into overtime will simply be deleted - no PM sent, no posting up of reasons and possibly a warning sent.

Equally, bypassing of the swear filter will be dealt with on a firmer basis. By bypassing we mean where letters have been selectively starred out, but other letters left, to make it obvious what the word is.

This is a family forum and members don't want their children asking what those words are/mean, nor do the majority of people wish to see a post/thread littered with this sort of thing.

Repeated breaches of this rule will result in an infraction and/or ban at the discretion of the forum moderators.

As I had a warning from admin about putting 2 astrics between the F and K ..... what about putting 2 o's or 0's between F and K ....does that count, if so why werent the posts deleted as mines was, example is here and here oh also here and maybe here try here as well
    The Moderators will never be able to spot every occurrence, but thank you for pointing them out. Nobody's been singled out, it's simply which posts the Mods come across - what we (Admin/Mods) are simply aiming to get across is that the steady increase of use of bad language on the site is now being clamped down on - simple as that. Hopefully it will gradually get across to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JSYSH466Y View Post
    it would be possible to allow people to see swearing or not as an option in the account settings. If they say its ok let them access posts which are swear filter approved and if they dont - dont. Something to think about as then it clears up both feelings on the matter.
    Not an option basically. The swear filter is either globally on or globally off - so obviously it will stay globally on. But even if it was an option to do that, the bypassing of words would still be an issue and that's what is being clamped down on the most.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    i agree with this no swearing lark but not this. What has length of membership got to do with anything??? Ive seen several examples of this and dont think its right. People thinking they are more important than others cos they've been here longer.
    Huh? Think you've got the wrong end of the stick. Nobody was saying they are 'more important' due to being here longer. G.O'Rilla was simply saying that the increased use of bad language was putting him off visiting the site, and may apply equally apply to somebody who joined only last week.

So, that's the additional clarification on the stance of Admin/Mods on this topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If some astrics between a F and K put you of m8 you better not watch Gorden Ramsay cooking on TV
    I give up............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ed taylor View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G.O'Rilla
    the constant swearing was one of the reasons for not visiting here so often any more.

He may not watch Gordon Ramsey on the Telly. That is his perogotive.
    But he chose to be a member on this site far longer than you have been a member.
    I wish I joined in June 2006 now .... you didnt happen to be a prefect at school did you Ed ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ukanalyst View Post
    If you take the time to read the rules then you will see that swearing full stop is not allowed. Thankyou for bringing those posts to our attention ... they've now been dealt with.

Oh No.....Now Im the forum grass

As this programme is on after the watershed and he would know what it contained then I'm sure he would choose not to watch it or at least to shield his children from it ...

Kids should be in bed at 9pm anyhow m8 .... what kind of parent lets their kids watch TV after 9pm, cumon.

If you have an overwhelming desire to type profanity into forum posts then I'm sure there are plenty of other places on the internet to do that ... if you would like to post here all we ask is that you keep it clean ... not that much to ask is it?
    I'm sure you have checked all my posts, any profanity there,....ok, just the 1, but that was replying to a gers fan who insulted my team, but thats just Glasgow banter..... Sorry if it upset anybody here, I will pay for any taxi's that had to be booked after the heart attack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To be honest, nobody likes being the grass and nobody likes to be picked on.

Swearing is one of those emotive subjects. Some of us are like the late Mary Whitehouse and abhorr the thought of it, others of us are like Gordon Ramsay and it just spills out of our mouths. Notice though that it is only when Ramsay is in his environment, when he's at home with the kids fattening up a sheep in his garden, he's like a choirboy.

I work in an environment where it is reletively acceptable to swear! Unfortunate but that's the nature of the beast, but there is a rep that comes into us that is a certain religion and to my chagrin, he doesn't accept people swearing.

In some respects, I think he should accept it if he wants to work in our trade, but, then again, nobody should have to tolerate it if they don't want to.

We have a wide age of members on the forum and as all of the info is available and able to view 24/7. We should remember that.

I've been guilty in the past of 'asterisking' or making 5's look like the letter S. I'm not whiter than white. But for the likes of G O'rilla, he has obviously been put off visiting the site by the swearing and nobody should have to feel like they can't drop by every now and then: Even if you no longer own a Vec.

A lot of people on the site are considered friends: Some will accept swearing as the norm, some won't, but due to the public nature of the forum, we mustn't swear.

We've also picked on people in the past - me included - I put it down to forum fever where you get a bit 'finger happy' and you get caught up in a thread. Everyone has a right to an opinion. We should think before we type!
    Last edited by John C S; 18th March 2009 at 07:21. Reason: Corrected GO'rilla's name

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information