Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Blimey Steve, glad it didn't get out of control and start heading for the houses!

It's not a pleasant experience at all - me and my previous GF were once in a photographic studio (1st floor of a four storey building in London) using it at the weekend (belonged to the photographer she worked for at the time) when we suddenly saw smoke coming through the floorboards. I rang 999 and we got out sharpish - by then the place was already thick with smoke. We had presence of mind to buzz all the buzzers at the front door just in case - were gobsmacked to hear somebody reply and we screamed at them to get out! She was on the fourth floor and only just made it before it took a hold!

Transpires that where the fire started (ground floor) was a reprographic type place and somebody had gone in, opened a gas pipe and set fire to it for the purposes of an insurance claim (business was going down the pan) and they did that without giving a about who was on the other floors of the building!! It all went up so quickly due to all the materials/chemicals they had - completely gutted the whole building.

The owner of the business was eventually sent down - could've killed three people by what he did!

Anyway, I digress - glad it didn't turn into something really serious.
OMG . No wonder he got sent down.