Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default which Signum to buy?

Am new to this site and although i have read a few posts i would much appreciate a bit of insider knowledge. As the title says i am after a Signum but the question is which one? Obviously i 'need' all the toys so an elite would be nice, but a design may suffice if i cant find an elite in time (i have a fortnight tops i guess). But which engine would the collective reccomend. I saw the sticky thread about the 2.2 being the most problematic engine in the range so i am steering clear of those. The associated costs (insurance, tax, petrol) with a 3.0 v6 realistically prohibit that for me. So what does that actually leave? 1.9 cdti was my initial starting point as i though a diesel would give good economy and reliability, but is it really that much different for me than say a 2.0 petrol (T or not i dont know the options lol). I guess it would be for no more than 15k miles a year max, and i dont consider myself having a need for a 'fast' car (i have motorcycles for that adrenaline fix) so steady, honest and nicely serviceable are higher up my list. What engines/considerations have i missed out? What would you reccomend please? and finally anybody got a Signum for sale or know of one in a dealer near you (i am in Peterborough so west mids/east anglia is ideal) that would suit the above? Thanks for reading my long post and i appreciate any help. PS dealer i would look at £7k tops as that would include my current heap.... i mean car traded in, private £5.5k as thats all the £££ i can muster and as its my daily transport i need to always keep one on the go rather than flog one and then get another if you see what i mean. I calmly await the collective wisdom

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am on my second Signum, I had a 56 plate 3.0 V6 CDTi Elite in Pomegranet red and now have a 57 plate 1.9 150 CDTi Design.

To be honest the only items missing from the Design are the heated seats and full leather, other than this the spec is pretty much identical.

The 1.9 CDTi 150 is a fine engine, I am on my 4th 1.9 150 and covered well over 150000 miles in all of them and not had one problem.

If you like the sporty look, the Design is the way to go.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd suggest feeding your details into an insurance comparison site & for both the 1.9 & 3.0 CDTi. When I was looking I was in the same boat as you but found that the difference in insurance between the two was only about a tenner a year - of course it depends on how old you are & where you live!

Fuel economy - depends what sort of driving you do. If you do a lot of urban I'd go for the 1.9 as the 3.0 is very thirsty around town. However, if you're not constantly bumbling around town I'd go for the 3.0 every time.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i would hang on for an elite the sporty vx's tend to be lacking in audio and climate which isn't possible to fit to a design but the design suspension can be fitted to an elite for small cost. engine choice is up to you. imo the 2.2direct was a faboulous engine that if the timing chain rcall is done should be bulletproof without having to look at timing belt changes every 40k. the 1.9cdti has its problems i.e fuel pump which can be extremely costly to put right if it fails.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Either go for the Signum Design (Sporty version of the Signum range) or the Elite which has the toys .

Try and get the 3.0CDTI or the 2.0T petrol.

Gazza4

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by big_dave View Post
    i would hang on for an elite the sporty vx's tend to be lacking in audio and climate which isn't possible to fit to a design but the design suspension can be fitted to an elite for small cost. engine choice is up to you. imo the 2.2direct was a faboulous engine that if the timing chain rcall is done should be bulletproof without having to look at timing belt changes every 40k. the 1.9cdti has its problems i.e fuel pump which can be extremely costly to put right if it fails.
    Elite and Design have the same audio systems, and having Climate and now having normal A/C in the Design, I would'nt be bothered about climate again.

I dis-agree about the 1.9 being problematic. As said, I have not had one issue with 4 of them and more than average mileage.

I only know of one fuel pump go on a 1.9.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have been more than happy with my 2.0T design, arguebuly (spelling) the best petrol engine out of the range with very few problems. My dad has a 2.2direct exclusiv auto. He hasn't had any problems in the 18k thats he's done from new. In the design you get the half leather sport seats that are very comfortable imo and the sportier suspension set up. As someone said the audio set up is the same. No climate control ( but who needs that anyway) No heated seats either in the design which is a shame. And the other thing is the design has the black headlights where as the elite has the imo nasty chrome looking ones. my 2.0T is averaging 28mpg steady driving (no motorways) My dads 2.2 is 32mpg (no motorways) but bear in mind it is an auto. HTH

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    So what does that actually leave? 1.9 cdti was my initial starting point as i though a diesel would give good economy and reliability, but is it really that much different for me than say a 2.0 petrol (T or not i dont know the options lol). I guess it would be for no more than 15k miles a year max, and i dont consider myself having a need for a 'fast' car
    Given your expected mileage I don't think you'd benefit from a diesel in terms of economy when you weigh up the higher cost of fuel and the slightly higher purchase price.

Are you looking for a late pre-face or an early facelift? Reason I ask is that on pre-face there is a much bigger difference between the Design and Elite spec e.g. on a facelift the main differences are leather seats, heated seats and climate control. On the pre-face - up to 04 - the Elite also had electric memory seats with memory mirrors (external and internal). A few other differences as well.

I went for my Elite (03) to have the toys and all I did was upgrade the suspension (Irmscher) etc. and some styling to improve the looks and handling.

Engine wise, given what you've ruled out that leaves the 2.0T really - an engine that's been shown to be extremly reliable with no major common issues. If you were going for a late pre-face then the 3.2 would also be an option - again a reliable engine. Both have a bit of oomph with the 2.0T being more tuneable if you ever wanted to go that route.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd get the 2.0T as most of the 1.9's are time bombs. Get an elite and add the dark windows and change the suspension The early V6 cdti designs have climate and esp+ as standard too.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post