Got off to an earlyish start this morning by taking out the drivers side seat and changing the selt belt pretensioner and also the airbag ECU, Soulman turned up at 11.00am and out of his boot he produced a carrier bag full of bits and pieces which i asked him to pick up for me seeing as hes only 5mins from Vauxhall.
Also 2 wings were laying in the boot which had also turned up from my parts ordered. I was tempted to bolt them on there and then to see what they looked like, but I settled for just offering them up instead. The bolt holes all line up thank god and the wings looked pretty good on the car.
Removed the wings and layed them up against the wall and we headed off to the kitchen for the first coffe of the day.
Managed to gee Ian into going out there with only half a cup of coffee drank and proceeded outside with our beverages and begin work on the dash. First order of the day was to fit the new passenger airbag to the crossmember.
The new dash was offered up to its position and the various connectors were routed into the correct places. After making sure it was aligned correctly the dash was bolted into place. The dash was being reassembled by Ian and bit by bit it started to take shape.
I was doing some more work on the outside of the car removing the battery, battery housing and fusebox. With these items removed I managed to straighten the fixing point which got pushed down by the front impact.
I then decided to give Ian a hindering hand with the rest of the dash. We did hit a slight snag, well ok, a few snags. I misaligned the CIM module and had to strip the cowling off to realign it again and a few other bits which i cant remember right now which made the cowling come on and off about 4 times all in all!
After I finished playing the hokey cokey with the CIM and cowling the rest of the dash was finished, Ian seemed to be struggling with with the glovebox for one reason or another, blaming the fixings
It wasnt until it was 90% back together I went to attach the centre speaker and air quality sensor and couldnt quite figure out why it wouldnt fit Turns out the cable for it which got routed (by me) into the wrong place! I can out the airvent and not through the correct apecture. Radio and display came out to try to get to it, no luck what with the cross member being in the way, so the glovebox came out, again.
Managed to get a bit of wire down to the radio and then threadled across to the glovebox where i managed to tape it onto the loom and pull it back through into the right position.
Everything was refitted, again. Finished up the day with the passenger seat coming out and the pre-tensioner being changed a refitted. The only bolt we had left over for the interior was the one below and neither of us can figure out where it came from
The car was then powered up and everything worked fine, not tested the airbags and dont plan to! Slight problem with the airbag ECU though, had some DTC's when i read it, turns out the twin plugs were forgotten about, so the glovebox came out and the airbag connected, trying to refit the glovebox, well lets just say i now know why Ian was grumbling about it lol.
Today I took a trip down the M3 to Chichester to see a forum member and collected a facelift bumper complete with grill and foggies too! And then zipped along to Haverhill to meet up with Don Paul to introduce him to my new bumper and wings, they should be getting acquainted over the next days before I rescue them back
Collected my crash cans, crash bar and slam panel, all freshly painted in ultra blue. It was lashing it down with rain on the way home but was dry enough to try out the slam and temp bolt it into position. I would have left it there but the bonnet wont close with the new slam panel in place, so off it came again and stored for later. Well thats pretty much it for now thanks to Ian for Day 2 saturday and hopefully come next weekend it will be radpack day and new battery cover day. Still need to source a bonnet though.
thanks for taking the time to read the continuing story