Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy Rear wheel problem

Hello all,

Tonight i was driving from dundee to glenrothes, just as i entered glenrothes i heard a grinding noise from the rear, was only going there to pick up a fish tank, so told the brother who was in the car with me " sack this lets get back home " turned car around and the grinding noise got extremely loud and i could feel it through the steering wheel. Got out the car had a look, the rear disc was scored heavily and there was a burning smell.

I had to taxi it into town only to find no buses run to dundee after seven, this was half seven, so bus to train station then train to dundee, then taxi home, forty quid out of pocket, what a disaster! lol.

Can somebody shine some light on what this could be? i am a novice at cars, i'm thinking back disc needs replaced and shoes? is this an easy job could i do it? what tools would i need and what parts?

The car is an vectra dti 2.0 03 has bog standard 5 spoke alloys, any help would be greatly appreciated as it is sitting in some street i dont know and really need to get it back on the road.

If anybody is in glenrothes and fancy's a few beer tokens and would like to supervise a car beginner, i'm your man.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nobody answered the above, my car is still stranded so would anybody be able to tell me if its possible to remove the back right caliper, so the brake doesn't grind and still get me home to dundee to my brother's mechanic?

Will the other brakes still work? getting this motor by hook or crook to dundee tomorrow so if someone could give advice would be appreciated.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ok mate i just need to clarify a few points but i will say now i cannot come up and fix it for you. ok you said you heard a noise through the rear wheels and comlained of feeling it through the steering. id suggest if you can feel it through the steering its the front hub/brake problem however you need a compitent person to look over your car and if you remove a brake caliper and you run over some one or something its classed as neglagence your insurance would be invalid and the police would gun for you. under no circumstances should a complete novise touch his own brakes, remember its not just your life your putting in danger. so please call a breakdown company and arrange to get it towed and get a garage or competent person to have a look

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sounds like there is something possibly wedged in there like a stone or something, did you have a lot of squealing from the brakes before this happened? as this is normally tell-tale sign that the pads are low

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Coming into glenrothes i heard a dragging sound then i could feel it in the steering wheel, i stopped further up the road and had a look and could see the back right right brake was digging into the disc and had scored it heavily.

What i am asking is, if i removed the back right caliper that house the brake pad and shoe? < i take it thats right?. Would the other brakes function as normal, front right, left and back left. If so this would only be to get me into dundee.

I suppose i just assume that if three of the four brakes where still gripping discs this would allow me enough braking taking it easy to get into dundee.

I had the car at a garage in dundee a few weeks ago and told the owner about the brakes, i thought they were gripping far to much, but he thought they were fine.

Jack vectra, no squealing a low rumble at first, then a a grinding, the whole incident happened in about ten minutes.
    Last edited by dakster; 9th March 2009 at 23:37. Reason: reply

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 26000

Quote Originally Posted by dakster View Post
    Coming into glenrothes i heard a dragging sound then i could feel it in the steering wheel, i stopped further up the road and had a look and could see the back right right brake was digging into the disc and had scored it heavily.

What i am asking is, if i removed the back right caliper that house the brake pad and shoe? < i take it thats right?. Would the other brakes function as normal, front right, left and back left. If so this would only be to get me into dundee.

I suppose i just assume that if three of the four brakes where still gripping discs this would allow me enough braking taking it easy to get into dundee.

I had the car at a garage in dundee a few weeks ago and told the owner about the brakes, i thought they were gripping far to much, but he thought they were fine.

Jack vectra, no squealing a low rumble at first, then a a grinding, the whole incident happened in about ten minutes.
    It sounds like there is either something stuck in the pad or th epad itself has worn through or failed.

You will not be able to remove one caliper and drive it as there is no (safe)way to keep pressure in the hydraulic system.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

try a mobile mechanic. some of them are really cheap. cos they aren't big enough to have premisiss, they setup mobile instead. this is why ive been in the rac for 12 years. its not cheap but my god its nice to know you have it. this situation would scare the hell out of me if i thought it could happen to my wife with the kids in the car. i know that doesnt help you buddy and its not ment as an "i told you so" or anything like that. but im glad i renewed mine last month.

Moderator & Events Assistant paulhb's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : M5

Trim : Nothing needs adding

Engine : 5.0 V10

Year : 07

Mileage : 37000

If you remove the caliper then every time you press the brake pedal the piston will screw out until it comes out of its liner and there goes all of your fluid and your brakes CALL A MOBILE MECHANIC get it fixed and join green flag for £26 per year as they are advertising on the telly would have saved all of your grief, if you are not mechanically minded it is the only safe thing to do bearing in mind all the faults that the Vectra is liable for search this forum it is enough to scare you to KIA with their 7 year warranties lol.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for all the help, will call a mobile mechanic today. Anyone tell me part numbers i will need and cheapest place to get them just now ?

Vectra 2.0 DTI
    Rear right disc
    brake pads, pair?
    shoes, will io need these?

Regarding green flag, thanks will look that up today, was going to join the AA about a month ago, but i've always been lucky with cars, lol.

Thanks again.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Do you know anyone in the AA mate...get them to call up and say they are stranded but they have to be with the car and get it recovered.. you will need rear discs and pads, not shoes as the vec dont have these the handbrake is operated through the calipers...
    (if this is what the problems is tho!...

Thread Information