User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CRACKED Alloy wheels, vibration, and tyres . Please please help !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy CRACKED Alloy wheels, vibration, and tyres . Please please help !!

Hi all,

Ive just recently became the new owner of a black 2007 vectra sri 1.9 cdti 150 model. full ext pack with 19" snowflake wheels. the car was a complete dream. looked stunning and drove stunning UNTIL I got a puncture, from there everything went down hill.

to cut a long story short, i thought i would get all 4 wheels refurbished and keeep the car in good condition. the wheels got powder coated blasted etc. they have been done twice now and everytime the guy puts the tyres on the alloys the lacquare or the powder coating crack because of the high PSI used to get the tyres on. (bought new falken 452's (235/35/19))

NOW the guy says this is never happened before etc etc, been in the business 10 years. and seems like a really nice guy, hes doing them again for the 3rd time !!! which makes me think it cant be good for the alloys either.

he took them to National tyres who refitted the tyres and said they were too hard and thats why it was taking extra pressure to get the tyres on and hence the cracks. this donest make sense to me tbh.

PS keep getting same crap wobbling after new tyres where fitted to. so need to go somewhere and get them balanced correctly too .

Can someone please advise on the tyres? anyone else had issues with them etc? what to tell the tyre balancing people? (tell them do it correctly doesnt count) and also advise what i can tell the people when fitting the tyre.... its been done with a machine as far as i can tell. i even got to a point where i thought i would fit the tyres on myself. howver i was reading up on this and seems to big a job getting the beading right

please help guys....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

help

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it's not your tyres its more like to be the powder coating thats cracking

as for your tyres being to hard he is talking a load of bullpucky i bet there is 500 members on her with that size tyer and there not having the coating crack off the wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I thought that too. it doesnt make sense, even if 50 PSI is used to pop out the wheel. im sure if you went over a pot hole there would be more force in that than there would be in 50 psi. seems like he is just taking the pi55 to be honest........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would take the car to another tyre fitter in the 1st place, at least you will get a 2nd opinion, regarding both the finish (powder coat) & if the fitter can do a better job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Fiat

Trim : Panda 100HP

Engine : 1.4

Year : 08

Tyres can go hard in the cold,but they should soften after a little while in the sun or a warm room.If you look at the sidewall of the tyre it has a safety warning on it,in this is the maximum pressure to seat the beads,if the fitter is exceeding this he's not doing something right.The best thing to do is to find a decent tyre fitter,someone who's used to low profile tyres (ask on here or look on sites like Pistonheads) then all your problems will be solved,it's worth paying extra or travelling further to get a decent place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks tyreman, think i might do a bit of research and see how my luck goes with a new tyre fitter. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i've fitted my share of tyres however it sounds like he hasnt cooked your alloys if the powder is cracking ask him which process he has done has he used an oven? to get a tyre to fit sometimes alot of pressure is needed however this should never exceed the pressure wrote on the sidewall (although i have done this once to a tyre an airside generator lol ****** went to 130psi before it popped on i was covered in monkey spunk (tyre lube) lol but this was a finall resort after 30mins work lol) hth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

LOL 130 !!!! im surprised the alloy diddnt blow up. lol.... well the guy mentioned he shoves it in an oven.... :S....

Thread Information